Rescue Dogs

Kbob

Hannah & Cole's Mom
I would like to say a huge THANK YOU! to all the dog rescue groups out there for all the wonderful and tireless work they do to help dogs in need to find new forever families. I am not affiliated with any one group in particular...it's just that we got our dog, Hannah from a rescue group and I thank goodness for her every day. She is the most loving and grateful dog. The way I was first introduced to rescue dogs is that I have a relative involved with a collie rescue group. One day I helped them save 17 collies from a terrible fate. They were being kept outside in pens with barely any food or water. There was mud and feces on the ground that was hardly ever cleaned up. A couple of the dogs had fur that was so matted that they had to be shaved down to the skin. It was unbelievable to me, however, each and every dog had a wonderful disposition. Not one of them growled at or bit anyone...they seemed to be so truly thankful that their terrible life was about to change. Each dog was placed in a home with a loving family. That's when I decided that our next dog would be from a rescue group. Two months later....our beloved old Labby girl of 12 died from cancer. We were so heartbroken and missed her so much but I knew what we had to do and that was adopt another dog. That's how we got Hannah. She was a challenge at first....she came from rotten beginnings and we had to fix that. With obedience classes, working with her so much and most importantly, love...she has turned into a sweet, sweet companion. She still has some issues....which will probably never go away....such as being OC-ADHD (we kind of diagnosed her - haha). :p She is truly the best. :)

MEG126

that's great that your relative is involved in rescue work... i actually used to have a collie. whenever i hear stories like that (about dogs being abused/neglected) it always makes me wonder what in the WORLD those people were thinking. i'll never know and i'm not sure i actually want to. some people should never have the priviledge of owning dogs. but thanks to people like your relative, we can help out those dogs that need us most! :D

There just aren't words enough fine words for these rescue organizations. With the exception of my first GSD, who was a gift from my grandmother, my GSDs have all been rescues of some type, whether from the humane society or, like Bimmer, a puppy who was abandoned. My sister and her husband were considering having a GSD imported from Ireland, but I guilted her into looking into a rescue, and now they have a lovely, intelligent, canny lass from a GSD rescue organization who runs the household and keeps Braec, the incorrigible Jack Russell (from Ireland) in line and frustrates many of his more nefarious schemes.

Members online