Raw Bones

PnZmom

Anyone have any tips on getting a dog to eat RMB? I've got a 1.5yo mixed breed dog with some tartar on her teeth that I want to get off. Not bad (despite a crappy Ol' Roy diet that her previous owner fed) but I'd like to get it off. Problem is, she doesn't seem to "get it" when I offer her bones. Never had a dog not know what to do so I'm a bit lost myself. Even with the cat trying to show her, she still doesn't get it. Lol!

Barb04

Super Moderator
Mine don't chew on bones.

I use Tropiclean on their teeth and it has cleaned them up. I was told about this product from a woman who runs a rescue here.

Softer bones might be more enticing at first - like chicken necks or wings.

My dog had no idea what to do with bones at first and I started playing tug with her with the bones (turkey necks). Heating them up (not cooking, but warming them) might also make them more palatable.

Or hacking into smaller pieces and hand feeding at first.... Just a couple ideas.

PnZmom

I've tried chicken feet and chicken drumbsticks so far since I have them on hand. She actually did SOME chewing on the drumbstick when I removed the meat but won't touch it whole. I even tried drizzling bacon grease on it and "marinating" it in her favorite canned food. :rolleyes: Tried frozen and thawed. I don't like feeding weight bearing bones at the risk of broken teeth, something I can't afford atm. I was actually going to pick up some necks the other day but I think a raw feeder came through and beat me to the sales. Apparently they went through 7 cases of quarters and several more cases of necks, backs, ect. Thankfully they gave me a raincheck but unfortunately they won't get anymore stocks until Tuesday. So I'll have to wait and get some then. I just really want her to pick up eating some raw since the idea of nothing but biscuits each and every day just doesn't sit right with me but I also don't want to "cook" often either. (Plus cooking bones won't work so I'd still be left with not getting any dental benefits) I've always had good eaters and everyone has always loved the variety! Even my cats took to "extras" and raw foods and anyone who has ever owned a cat knows they can be horrifically picky. I can only assume it doesn't smell or taste as good as the Ol' Roy Meaty Chunks that creates a rancid fat "gravy" when you add water. :dunno: She didn't even have a clue what eggs were when I brought her home!!! Once she realized what real food was she started enjoying it but that's cooked eggs (raw has to be mixed with her kibble AND canned or she won't touch it), cottage cheese, cooked meats, ect that have a little more smell to them. Smh. She is eating raw meat mixed with kibble though which I suppose is a start? I also mix in some homemade food a couple times a week too which she LOVES and would eat by itself if I let her but it's mostly for my Pekapom. (She can't eat any commercial foods and homemade is easier to get TONS of fluids into her than raw, though I do some raw on occasion. She's had a urinary blockage in the past so she basically eats "soup" to stay flushed.) So basically cooked stuff she's happy with (actually she tried to steal a cooked chicken bone from the trash) but won't touch raw stuff. :confused:

PnZmom

Oh and I even fasted her for a day to try and get her to eat the drumstick!!! It wasn't until well over 24 hours (and 3 bile pukes later) that she chewed some of the bone and because she kept puking on my carpet I mixed the meat with the kibble and she ate that too. But I'd like her to eat the whole thing, ya know? Never had to put this much thought into feeding a dog and I've had over 20 in my life. Rescues, breeders, puppies, adults, seniors....Lol! Always been pick a decent kibble, mix in some canned or leftovers (nothing toxic of course!), add warm water and serve. A couple times a week they got raw scraps and bones. Even when I fed all raw to my Pekapom and a German Shepherd I had a few years ago, it was hardly much to think about. Same with homecooked for Zoey. I just make sure there is plenty of variety and essentially do what I did when I fed raw, it just gets cooked (except her bones for calcium) and thrown into the blender with several cups of water. Plus she gets a multivitamin/mineral supplement. But pretty simple stuff. Phoebe is testing me any way she can. Lol!

naturalfeddogs

love the fluff
Is she having a hard time chewing the bone, or just acting like she may not like it?

If she is having a hard time learning how to get through the bone, you can use a hammer or kitchen mallet and crunch the bones up for her in the beginning. She will still have to chew, but it will be easier at first until she gets the hang of it.

PnZmom

Just doesn't seem to enjoy it. She certainly has no issues chewing. She stole a cooked bone from the trash and started in on it in 2 seconds flat. She also eats her prepackaged dog chews with no problem. I think it might just not be smelly enough for her??? Idk. :/

xpaeanx

Another thing you can do is mix some kelp in her food. There are kelp supplements specificly for teeth, but you can also order plain kelp which is cheaper(it just may not work as well).

There is a bacteria that grows on kelp and it secretes an enzyme that breaks up biofilms (which is what plaque is). When it enters the dogs mouth the bacteria completes it's lifecycle which includes secreting the enzyme. Kelp also contains a ton of trace minerals so it's good for more than just dental hygiene. :)

Here is a link that describes it a little more.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2168606/Brushing-teeth-bacteria-seaweed-effective-toothpaste.html

PnZmom

Yeah I think she just doesn't see it as food and I'm sure the texture is really weird to her too.

I actually have some kelp that I bought for Zoey a while back so I'll give Phebs a sprinkle and see what she thinks but I'm not sure it'd help with what's there already? It isn't bad, she isn't suffering from dental disease or anything but I'm so anal about my pets having good teeth and dental care to prevent bills down the road. (Or health problems caused by bacteria in the mouth streaming through their systems!) Never had to shell out $$$ for a cleaning and hope I never have to!!! :eek:

PnZmom

Ah well I finally managed to open the article. Very interesting. I'll give it a try with the brush...May have to even try it myself. Thanks! :)

PnZmom

So I offered Phebs another drumstick last night and a lightbulb just seemed to go off! She gave it a few licks and started chewing and tearing off the meat and made her way to the bone where she crunched through it like a champ!!! Very excited. She also ate some beef mixed with dinner the other night and even stole the wrapper from the trash to lick off the leftover bits and juices. Maybe not so good she is a trash theif but I am proud of her new (sudden) interest in real food. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The best time to give a dog a bone is after a full meal. Why? You don’t want your dog starving when he/she starts to chew on the bone. Ingesting too much of a bone could lead to constipation, and possible serious obstruction. Give your dog a bone for only 10 to 15 minutes, then take it away, wash it, and store in a container in the fridge. Toss it out after 3-4 days.

Nice to see she finally got into the drumstick. :D

You can try other bones with her, too. I've fed my dogs raw for years and they get a variety of bones. Chicken legs are a favorite, but our little one loves chicken necks and feet. The only thing that worries me about the feet is the nails, though. I cut those off.

Pig tails are pretty good, too. They're usually crunchy and meaty enough to be pretty satisfying for a bigger dog.

Just stay away from beef bones. Those tend to be really hard, and there's a real risk of breaking a tooth on one.

Members online

No members online now.