My Mia - Osteosarcoma

I'm just posting this as a way of letting my friends here (old and new) know about Mia. We found out last week that she has osteosarcoma in her upper mouth (maxilla)... By the time we discovered it, it was a large tumor involving the roof of her mouth, some of her front teeth and up into her sinuses. It came on SO fast that we didn't even notice until it started spreading through her front teeth.

Our options are to have her whole upper muzzle removed, with some reconstruction of the sinuses, followed by radiation and chemo... or to just keep her comfortable until she lets us know that her quality of life isn't good anymore. We have decided against surgery, because even after surgery, the recurrence rate is 83%-100%, and only gives a little more time.

This is a painful cancer, so we have her on pain meds and are feeding her soft food, which she had a little difficulty eating this morning for the first time. Otherwise, we're making her as comfortable as possible, and doing all the things she loves. I don't know if we have days, weeks or months, so it's a one-day-at-a-time proposition and every day is a heartbreaking challenge for me and my husband.

She still enjoys going out for "play" morning and night. She mostly just walks around and wags her tail, but she does get excited about going out, so we are using that to gauge our decision. She is 11 years old and has bad hips, so, even though she was an athlete in her youth, she's slowed down a lot in the past few years.

Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

:cry:

I can not believe the twins are already 11! I'm so sad to hear about the diagnosis though, Osteo is one of the worse.

I can not believe the twins are already 11!
I know... These years have FLOWN! We always thought Cara's hip dysplasia (diagnosed before she was 2 years old) would take her before Mia... But Cara is doing great, thankfully. She and I always hurt on the same days, and she takes Tramadol for her hips, but she's still bright-eyed and happy.

Life is bittersweet.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Poor sweetie, she is so adorable! It sounds like you are definitely putting her happiness and comfort level first though, she is a lucky dog who I'm sure has lived a wonderful life!

Saeleofu

I'm so sorry to hear this. Osteo is probably one of my biggest fears :( You're doing exactly what I would do in that situation - there's no way I could put my dog through that kind of surgery, especially with such a poor prognosis. You definitely have her best interests in mind. ((HUGS))

So sorry to hear this.
Lost my Leo from jaw & brain cancer.
Enjoy yr time,with her and she will tell you when she is ready to go.
(((HUGS)))
Laurie

Barb04

Super Moderator
Sending lots of hugs to both you and Mia. As you say, just love her each day and know you've done your best for your girl.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and cyber hugs...

This morning, Mia had a hard time eating, but I fed her with a plastic spoon and she did fine... When we went outside for play, she was eager, happy and trotted around wagging her tail. We're going to give her pain med a couple hours before eating tonight so she can eat better.

One day at a time.

wishbone

That is so heartbreaking to hear, so sorry. Definitely always put her happiness and comfort first when you decide, sending more prayers and vibes.

Members online

No members online now.