Single vs. Serious Relationship Dog Numbers

Kootenay

It's funny, I've never even thought of this before, because in our household, the dogs are clearly mine, and I do ALL the work associated with them. I have 2, planning on a 3rd this summer, and I think it will be just fine. In fact, I know it will, because I do in-home boarding and I've had up to 8 dogs here before, and was able to manage just fine.

However, an extra pair of hands (even just to hold a dog for me or something) around is pretty important every once in a while. If I lived truly alone it would probably be a bit harder!

The other day I started freaking out though, when I realized there was no one I could think of who I would trust to take care of Yarrow (and who would want him) if something happened to me :( Kind of a difficult thought. I think my OH would do it, just for my sake, but he is really not a dog person, and Yarrow is higher maintenance than some. Jasper would be easy.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I'm currently in a relationship and we have three. If I were single, I'd want two or three, with three being my max. With Mike, I would still prefer two or three, but four would no longer be out of the question.

Mike helps a lot with the dogs, he just won't help with a puppy (outside of normal dog things). He is not a puppy person. He doesn't understand why anyone would willingly get an animal that isn't housebroken, chews on things, nips, doesn't have manners, and cries in the crate. LOL

Since I do all of the work with the dogs, single or in a relationship it wouldn't matter, but I would be down 2 cats, he would have to take them, unless he passed away then I would of course keep them, there just would not be any more.

Toller_08

I was just thinking about this the other day as I was out for a walk with my girls. It's just so relaxing and enjoyable with just the two of them. I am single, but I do live with my mom and brother for the time being. I'll probably move out next year or the year after, and I think when Journey is 5 or 6 I'd like to add another Aussie, but we'll see where I'm at and what kind of shape Dance is in then (she'll be nearing 12).

For me I think it would depend on the dogs though. The four I have now? I could do it on my own, and many days I feel like I do do it on my own, but I wouldn't want to all the time. As it is, the Dobermans get left out a lot. But even if I had just them, I don't know if I'd do half the things I do with the furry two with the Dobes. Just a totally different type of dog and even something as simple as a walk never seems as relaxing with the Dobermans. And that's not to sound mean - they do have a good life and get to do things, but they're a different type of dog in comparison to Dance and Journ.

But I really I enjoy two, and would likely even do three by myself, dependent on the other two dogs. With dogs like Dance and Journey, adding a third on my own would be no problem at all. But I don't know if I will for sure. Once it's just me and them it'll be so easy that I might not want to add another at all.

But if I ever meet somebody/live with another dog savvy person again, I'd go for four again I'm sure. Just not on my own.

And I doubt I'll ever be the kind of person to just have one. I like multiples too much. But sometimes when I'm hanging out with Journey I think that it would be awesome to have just one dog if that one dog was her. She's my perfect take anywhere, do anything or just hang out dog.

ETA: I could have lots if I never intended to take them anywhere or take them anywhere together, but when I'm out and about and doing stuff, I feel better able to watch just two or three as opposed to four or more when it's just me. Especially with my current dogs, because while the furry two tend to stay close, the Dobermans run here, there and everywhere and it's not very relaxing having to constantly watch for everyone all alone.

Last edited:

Lyzelle

Single, 2-3. In a committed relationship (or in a situation with a long-term possibility of having an extra set of hands) up to 6. Extra set of hands makes things easier every now and then, but even in my mom's house, I handled 6 on my own most of the time.

StillandSilent

My ideal as a single woman would be two of my own and a revolving foster. Gambit is the easiest dog alive most of the time. Then my lhw ans I can enjoy fostering

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Together we have 4, and I'd be ok with probably up to 5 or 6... Lol

Alone I think 3 is my max...

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Well if Tyler and I stuck with Terriers we could probably have up to four, but because we are going to be adding a Boerboel that is both huge and expensive we will be sticking with two and perhaps adding another small terrier in a few years, maybe. With all the back country hiking and boating we do its going to be hard enough having enough room for a large mastiff.

If I lived on my own and was single the amount of dogs would probably be the same. I know I can handle more dogs on my own, but I am comfortable with two dogs.

JacksonsMom

ETA: I could have lots if I never intended to take them anywhere or take them anywhere together, but when I'm out and about and doing stuff, I feel better able to watch just two or three as opposed to four or more when it's just me. Especially with my current dogs, because while the furry two tend to stay close, the Dobermans run here, there and everywhere and it's not very relaxing having to constantly watch for everyone all alone.
This is me too! Like, honestly, it's not a big deal at all at my dads house with the 3 little dogs (all <20lbs) but that's because they never go anywhere really. They have the big fenced in yard, the pool, each other, etc. So when I'm over there, it's just a matter of letting them out in the yard, feeding them their dinner, etc.

I would have no problem having 3 dogs of my own if that was my intention (mainly just have pet dogs to enjoy with at home). But I really like doing things with my dog. I like going to outdoor restaurants and bringing him along, I like bringing him on vacation when possible, running errands with him (he comes to the car wash with me, bank, Home Depot, etc, etc), and even though I'm not 'serious' about it, I love dabbling in some dog sports and going to dog events, etc. It's just super simple to have one. Don't have to decide who's going to do what, or leave one at home if it's easier to just have 1, or whatever.

It'd be a bit different with a spouse though for sure. I mean, again, at my dads house even though we all kinda share responsibilities (take turns letting dogs outside, taking turns feeding, or whatnot), it's very clear that Jackson is my dog, Buddy is pretty much my step-moms dog, and Lilly is more-so my dads dog. I think ideally it would be nice to have my dog and have a spouse who has his dog (and I wouldn't mind sharing responsibilities at all). It was basically like this when my moms dog was still alive... I always bought things for both dogs, but did not feel guilty leaving her at home and bringing Jackson places because she was used to it and wasn't 'my' dog, but Jackson still had a play buddy at home, lol. So it worked out!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think it depends on your situation. One of my big requirements is that if I can do it with my current two then I do it with my current two. Mine aren't fantastic sports prospects but they enjoy it and we have fun. I will not add a dog to do stuff my current dogs can do if it means my current dogs don't get to play. That's not fair to them.

I don't anticipate that adding a mediumish dog will take away much from my current two. They'll still do agility as long as they are able. We will still walk and hike. There will be an adjustment period for sure but there always is. There things I want to do though that I will need another dog to do.

Between the local 400 acre park, my dad's 40 acres, the huge fenced in 50 acre field at the training place, the walking trails at the training place (all free use to students) and the pond they're getting set up for dock diving.... There's a lot of opportunity to get my dogs out and exercised in groups wih ease. My two walk super nice on a leash too. No pulling and so small that I can walk them both with the leash barely hooked on my finger. And they'll all tag along to trials even if its just to hang out whenever that is possible.

So yeah... Adjustment but I don't think having three or more means you don't do as much with them. :)

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
I am single but I do live with another person, but even if I didn't live with them I would still like to have 2-3. I've had 2 for a while when I had just Jack and Kechara, and then two again when it was just Kechara and Hawkeye. Two is nice, three is a lot of fun too tho.
In about a year and half we will be up to four for a few years.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
So yeah... Adjustment but I don't think having three or more means you don't do as much with them. :)
Depends on the dog too. I'm not NOT doing agility with Pepper because of Payton... I'm not doing agility with Pepper because of Pepper. There's about a bajillion things I don't do with Pepper because Pepper. I want to go on vacation to the east coast and I want to take the dogs, but I'm not sure about taking Pepper because Pepper. I knew keeping her meant I was going to have a dog who was not what I wanted and that I couldn't do the things I wanted to do with her.
I kept her anyway.

For Pepper I made room... that's all there is to it... rarely is our life what we dreamed it would be.

RBark

Got Floof?
Odd, but I think I'd actually have less dogs in a relationship rather than more.

As a single man... I'm happy with one working and retrieving dog. I would also be happy with this in a relationship.

As a single man, I'd happily own 20 Huskies and Malamutes. I would likely not enjoy this if I were in a relationship, unless my partner also desires this as well as puts work into it as well.

But that is dreaming. Realistically, just give me a dog that fetches and I'll be happy as any 10 year old boy and his dog would be carrying a stick playing by a lake. :)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
But that is dreaming. Realistically, just give me a dog that fetches and I'll be happy as any 10 year old boy and his dog would be carrying a stick playing by a lake. :)
Cuz 'Trieverdogs are the best ;)

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Its not the dogs I worry about! I could handle the same amount of dogs and afford them just fine, but the horses are another story. Money is not so much the issue but not having someone to help with moving hay and cleaning stalls occasionally makes all the difference. I would likely get down to one or two vs the three I have now and the more I want.

On the other side I have told my husband my life insurance money is so he can support the critters since he can support himself. I told him I would haunt him if he sold them.
Oh horses aren't a problem for me ... I have taken. Care of as many as 14 by myself before at the other job I had plus half of them got turned out during the day lol so it was a lot of walking lol.

I have done as many as 6 dogs when I was single. Right now I have 4 (my folks 2 dogs & my 2 dogs combined) the problem would be financial so I would say personally right now my limit is 3

FG167

Depends on the dog too. I'm not NOT doing agility with Pepper because of Payton... I'm not doing agility with Pepper because of Pepper. There's about a bajillion things I don't do with Pepper because Pepper. I want to go on vacation to the east coast and I want to take the dogs, but I'm not sure about taking Pepper because Pepper. I knew keeping her meant I was going to have a dog who was not what I wanted and that I couldn't do the things I wanted to do with her.
I kept her anyway.

For Pepper I made room... that's all there is to it... rarely is our life what we dreamed it would be.
I prefer 2-3 active dogs for myself. I have 4 but Limit is my Pepper right now and Eden isn't far from that. I'm still in the process of figuring out what's up physically with Limit and waiting to see if that and his temperament will allow for sports. Eden can go anywhere but she also doesn't care if she does and she prefers to dabble in sports, not train competitively so that makes life a little weird. So Kastle is my sport dog and Aikon is up and coming right now, if things work out. I enter Eden when I think she'll enjoy it.

Together we have 8, soon to be 9. It's more than I would like but Jason loves it and we compromise on who takes care of what so it works out. He has more dogs capable of competition so I'm also handling his Border Collie in agility. That is more for Robin than it is for me though. I wish Limit could play.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
I am currently single, some dating but nothing serious. I have four dogs, and if Fiona is nice to us and give us lots of girls, I will be adding a fifth. I don't have any trouble taking care of multiple dogs, I never have. Ideally, I would have 4-5 dogs while single.

However, my mom and I currently live in the same house (Long story short- my dad got a temporary job in Pittsburgh, they lived there for 2 years, they kept their house in CO, I have lived here since then, my sister and her husband moved in a year ago with their new baby, and my mom is now back to help with the baby because of my sister's health issues, and now you're caught up). Naturally she brought her two dogs (Faith and Fiona), which means that we currently have 6 Border Collies in the house, but since I live in the basement which functions as an apartment, our dogs are somewhat separate. She has Faith, Fiona and usually Riot in the upstairs area, I have the boys and Sadie downstairs. Basically, in the current set up, I have 3 dogs to take care of full time instead of four, because my mom lives here, which is relevant because it means I have less work to do because of another person who lives with me. Make sense? I'm exhausted, sorry for the rambling.

A relationship wouldn't affect my numbers, unless we were married. My sister was in a relationship for 7 years, and they broke up, and they sort of had "joint" dogs. Which... made things really tough. Of course, I guess that could be a problem no matter how many dogs there are- people get attached, and then who gets to keep them? Anyways- if I were married, living on the right property (lots of land, maybe some sheepies), I might have up to 6 or 7. Many more than that, and I think I'd have too many dogs to really work with individually.

Members online

No members online now.