Going Insane!!!

Allyse718

I want 2 b a dog 4 a day
My 17 month old lhasa apso Maggie is driving me crazy! She has started using the bathroom inside again. She did this once before, but it only lasted for a couple of weeks and then she was fine. Well, this has been going on for about a month and a half now. I took her to the vet and they said she was as healthy as could be. I have blocked off most of the house so that the only place she can be is upstairs in the loft and hallway. There is still one place that I can't see her go and that is behind the chair. I have put a box back behind it, and now she just goes anywhere. I take her out every hour, and every time she goes outside I give her a treat. But it seems like she'll come in and then go to the bathroom within 5 minutes. She knows what she is doing is bad because as soon as you say her name (once you've found what she's done) she gets really low to the ground and goes and hides. Does anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks!

Adrienne

As for her "knowing she did wrong" that is most likely not true. A dog's attention span for something like that is exceptioanly short. She is most likely responding to the tone of your voice and the posturing of your body.

Can I ask where you bought the dog from? Some breeders/stores will put the pups in a kennel with it's siblings and allow them to use that space as a "bathroom" as well. It can become difficult for the dog to completely learn to potty in the appropriate place if they came from a situation like that.

Other than that I don't have much advice besides possibly tieing her to your body with a leash whenever she is out so that you can supervise her all the time. Not giving her the chance to make a mistake in the house tends to quicken the training. Of course lots of treats and praise when she goes in outside is in order. Make it seem like it is the greatest thing she does, lots of excitment for getting it right.

Hope someone else will jump in on this with some more ideas. It should be moved to dog training so that more people will answer though...Anybody?

Allyse718

I want 2 b a dog 4 a day
I have had Maggie for a little over a year now. Unfortunately, before I knew about puppy mills, I got Maggie from a pet store in Bloomington, IN. I have tried the umbilical cord training, that never seems to work. I would have to watch her every single move to see her go to the bathroom. She is very sneaky. I trained Katy that way though, so I know that it works, but with Maggie it didn't. I really have no idea what to do now. GRRRR!!!

joce

I swear my corgi does it when she is mad at me. I knwo they are not supposed to be vindicitive but tell her that! If she does it once I just keep an eye on her really close for the next couple of days and if I get any hint of ehr going its right outside. If I can't watch her then I put her in her crate. I've tried the diapers so if she did it she would be wetting herself ad I guess it worked because she never wet one but that may be because she took all that time trying to get them off.

frznbuns

Does your dog go outside with other dogs when they have to go to the bathroom? I know some times our dogs will go out together and get so busy doing other things like barking or playing that they forget to go.. just like a little child..(a child will be playing and have to go to the bathroom but get so involved in playing that they forget well by that time it is too late) Try letting her out by herself and tell her to potty.. if she goes then give her a treat outside.. if she is done then let the other dogs go out.. if she has not gone potty.. put her in the house and let the other dog outside ,, then again let her out side by herself and again tell her to potty..
I know it worked for me with my dogs.. Good luck

Allyse718

I want 2 b a dog 4 a day
Most of the time unless she really really really has to go, she'll just sit there at the door and look inside. I've tried going out there with her, but she just thinks it's a time to play.

yoko

for yoshi it took a while because she had been tied up for her four months of life and then put in the pound where she could just go to the bathroom wherever. what i did was if i caught her going to the bathroom i'd yell no, or say no just most of the time i was in another room and saw her through the door and run out and even if she was going to the bathroom i'd pick her up and run outside and put her down in the grass.

took a while but i think she finally figured she might as well go outside then to have me tell her no r un up and carry her outside where i'd wait for her to go again because i wasn't so sure she was completely done

Members online

No members online now.