Dog Friendly Places in PA?

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
This weekend we're driving down with the 4 dogs to Butler, PA for a beagle meet up (don't worry, the Advil is already packed).

We are driving down to Franklin for the first night, staying in a dog friendly Super 8. This will be the first time any of the dogs have stayed in a hotel, which is fairly exciting.

I'm not sure what time my mom plans on heading out there, but if we do end up having some spare time it'd be nice to check out some local attractions or even just find somewhere to let the dogs run around for a while.
I'm checking out dogfriendly.com, but between writing an essay and not really knowing the area, I'm not coming up with much.

Any suggestions?

Elrohwen

I grew up north of Pittsburgh, so maybe I can help. There's really not much around Butler specifically that I can think of, but there are some parks a bit south. My knowledge of western PA extends up to Butler, so I don't know of anything near Franklin.

Hartwood Acres is really nice - it's maybe 40min south of Butler. There is a small-ish mansion (I think you can take tours, but obviously not with a dog). They have tons of land with paved and unpaved trails, plus a gigantic dog park. I've only been to the dog park when it was empty (middle of winter) but it was nice. Typical fenced in grassy area, but much bigger than any I've seen. Check for events before you go - I know they have a yearly horse show and other outdoor things.

North Park is also pretty nice. It's a bit further south, and not as quiet as Hartwood, but it has a lake in the middle. I think they have a small fenced dog park area.

Misty Pines is a dog park (about 40min south of Butler) and it looks fantastic. I've never been, but I want to take Watson the next time I visit my parents in Pgh. Here's the website: http://www.mistypinesdogpark.com/dog-park/dog_park.html

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Thanks for the info!
I'm not entirely sure of our schedule for the weekend aside from meeting at 1pm in Butler. So I'm hoping we can travel a little further south at some point to check some of these places out!

I'd love to be able to make it to Hartwood Park. It looks like there's a lot to do/see, no horse show this weekend though :( That would have been cool.

North Park seems to have some excellent reviews from what I'm seeing as well.

Misty Pines looks pretty awesome!
Unfortunately Cobain and Rigby are only technically UTD on their rabies. I wonder if they'd take titer results? Not that I have those on me right now, but it's something I'd consider if we come back that way. I wish we had something like that around here.

I really hope we are able to check some of those places out!

Elrohwen

Definitely let me know if you make it to any of them!

North Park is nice, but I'd definitely pick Hartwood Acres over North Park. It's just so pretty and quiet and you can walk forever. Plus the mansion is very pretty. I wish we could have spent more time at the dog park area but it was so muddy and Watson was filthy, so we leashed him up and walked on. It was funny because my husband insisted on running the perimeter of the fence to make sure there weren't holes in the fence, and it took him at least 5min. It's a big area!

North Park is nice, but there are lots of people and cars and bikes. So it's great if you live nearby (I grew up about 10min away) but I dunno if I'd drive 45min to get there.

Let me know if you visit Misty Pines. I found it online when we visited over Christmas and I was really disappointed we didn't have time to check it out. It looks really nice.

ETA: And if you want to make it all the way down into Pgh there are lots of nice places to walk a dog like Point Park, and near Heinz Field.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Just got home from our little trip! Our long, exhausting trip.

It is GORGEOUS in Pennsylvania!

Unfortunately, we weren't able to make it to Pittsburgh. But we did get a chance to walk the Samuel Justus trail that connects Oil City to Franklin which was pretty nice.

I will definitely keep those places in mind for the next time we are down.

Members online

No members online now.