Dog reactive? aggressive? Whatever he is being a jerk.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Thank you guys so much for the advice, I am learning so much here and really am starting to feel like I can get a handle on this.

We are going to start working on getting more focus on walks and will start putting into effect on leash stuff that should've been already in practice ("Look at me, treats for seeing other dogs etc..) it hasn't turned into an issue when we pass other dogs but I think it will be great to build positive associations/focus on me anyway

I am going to start jogging with him! I got a waist leash and he has a good running harness, it's just going to take some changes for us. Jogging will be good for us and I think he will enjoy it more with less stress.

He is already keen to follow and movement through larger parks does help, I so wish we had ANY good hiking trails I could get to :/ I'm going to check out the local outer borough parks and see if I can get him used to a long line (some of the parks have horses and I wouldn't want him to be curious, he isn't used to them)

For now, he gets plenty of play time with dogs I know he loves, and for now that can be enough when it comes to dog time.

I will get to work on slowly working on his "be patient, give me a minute I know it sucks.." with other dogs. Right now he is just so sharp, and a lot of that is my fault, I've continued to put him in the situation on leash thinking perhaps it would get better, which I see now was the wrong thing to do.

He's a good boy and I love him so but yea...jerkiness basically covers it sometimes lol I wish I could say it was a fear thing, but honestly grumbling at a 10 week old doodle puppy who is just a little TOO exuberant isn't a fear response it's a "you are so annoying stop it get off my lawn" response lol

Sekah

The Monster.
Ugh. Puppies are my worst nightmare. I can now get Cohen to be good if the puppy is just passing by and doesn't linger in her face for longer than a second, but any more and it's snarksnarksnark. I feel like she knows she can push the puppy around with little to no repercussion so she does it. Enthusiastically. If the puppy is calm, self assured and gives her some space, it's much better. If it's wiggly and in her face, it's hard work.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Just a small update of sorts :)

Merlin and I have been going jogging together in the morning, and going to the dog park at ridiculously early/late times when it's empty...and things are going well.
We went to a barbecue with dogs he knew and two new dogs... and off leash intros went great and he made two new friends!

I've been working at building his patience with other dogs, we were practicing our heelwork and he got lots of yums for focusing on me and when another dog drive-by sniffed him he got lots of praise because he looked at me instead of reacting.
I think since I have stopped the on-walk meetings, he feels less stressed because he hasn't barked or reacted to any dog on walks at all. Even if that dog stops or barks at him!

It's baby steps of course. We are still on slow-intros only, it's not perfect by any means and I am making sure new friends are polite dog friendly adult dogs.

I doubt he may ever be the everyones-best-friend dog, in your face/excited dogs who don't take his first warning to back off are probably NEVER going to be his cup of tea, but I love that he can still make new friends as long as it's done slowly...and we seem to be getting better

BostonBanker

I think since I have stopped the on-walk meetings, he feels less stressed because he hasn't barked or reacted to any dog on walks at all. Even if that dog stops or barks at him!

It's baby steps of course. We are still on slow-intros only, it's not perfect by any means and I am making sure new friends are polite dog friendly adult dogs.

I doubt he may ever be the everyones-best-friend dog, in your face/excited dogs who don't take his first warning to back off are probably NEVER going to be his cup of tea, but I love that he can still make new friends as long as it's done slowly...and we seem to be getting better
That is great news! I think you are doing a great job managing the situation.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Awesome!! I don't know if it was mentioned or not, but LAT helped sooooo much with Harlow. May be worth thinking about. :)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
We spoke to a behaviorist and just wanted to share how happy I am with his progress.

I was taught how to SEE a lot of his behavior I was missing. I got a bit of a scolding as he was like "this dog is very in-tune with you, he is letting you know he's had enough and letting other dog know, his way of saying that is just too subtle and so it escalates to the big snap you see"

and now that we took some video with his dogs, it's so easy to see Merlin's avoidance behavior (leaning away, walking away, licking lips, stress, looking away) with other dogs he isn't fond of, and the LEASH and me made him STAY in those situations, which in turn created a bigger problem.

I went home to Miami with my mothers male Bichon mix and my neighbors Min Pin and Merlin has been amazing. I am learning to read him better and they walked next to each other on leash, met off leash, and Merlin got a break anytime it was becoming too much.

He has been doing so great! The relationship with my moms dog isn't wonderful (lol they don't play, charlie is a bit too old) but they coexist wonderfully and Merlin is taking his cues as well when he's being too bouncy around the house

TLDR; I got a great lesson in how to read Merlin's body language and communicate with him as well that I would get him out of the situation and he didn't need to react!

Members online

No members online now.