22 weaves vs 24 weaves

xpaeanx

For at home training/practice which would you go for?

$85 for barely used 2x2 22inch spacing (from CleanRun)
$142 for new 2x2 24 inch spacing from CleanRun

But have 24 inch spacing thin PVC 2x2 for right now.

BostonBanker

24". Around here, basically all the trials are giving us 24" now, because people voted with their wallets and skipped the trials that didn't.

What I noticed, as everyone was in the process of switching over, was that it was the really big dogs and the really small dogs who seemed to really notice the change. The medium dogs, for the most part, just kept treating them the same. Meg had/has no issue going back and forth.

xpaeanx

So you would opt to wait and buy the new 24 inch new ones? Even though you think for med size dogs the difference isn't that big?

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
I would get the 24" weaves because of muscle memory. I think it is best to have the same type of equipment at home as there will be at a trial. It would be like having a shorter dog walk at home...the dog's striding would be all off for the ones at the trials.

Sekah

The Monster.
If your goal is to train to your best ability, go 24". There are probably cheaper places to get 2x2s or weaves if the price is prohibitive.

BostonBanker

I'd wait. While my dog switches easily, I wouldn't want to gamble on that being the case with every dog. You might as well train on what you will see in trials, especially if you have something you can be starting the training with now.

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
If cost is an issue...you could make a set. I made my 24" weaves all from PVC. I got the 5 way/hole base fittings from clean run.

k9krazee

I only have multiple sets of 22" at home and Crossbone has had ZERO issue transitioning to 24" at practice and at trials. However, I will be getting 24" this summer.

I equally train at home and at classes/trials, so Crossbone is asked to switch and adjust from 22-24 regularly but if you are going to spend more time with your weaves at home than you are with weaves at classes/trials---best to learn with the correct spacing. Weave poles are one of the obstacles that trip up the most people at trials anyway --why not stack the deck a bit more in your favor.

BostonBanker

If cost is an issue...you could make a set. I made my 24" weaves all from PVC. I got the 5 way/hole base fittings from clean run.
I'd worry about the height of a PVC base with a small/medium dog. Probably not an issue at all with a Rottie, but even with Meg, I noticed that when I used that type (it's also what I trained on at first) she had to really lift her feet to get over the crosspiece.

xpaeanx

I'd worry about the height of a PVC base with a small/medium dog. Probably not an issue at all with a Rottie, but even with Meg, I noticed that when I used that type (it's also what I trained on at first) she had to really lift her feet to get over the crosspiece.
This is one of the main reasons for actually buying the metal base ones, it's just the cost making it more of a when question. The PVC ones were made with 1/2 to avoid the base being to big, but that also means the whole thing isn't as stable(needs to be staked outside) and the actual poles the dog is weaving through aren't the correct size either.

Alright, thank you for all the responses. It looks like the weaves will continue to be placed on hold until the 24 inch metal base ones can be bought. This is the best part of chaz, the amount of working knowledge that's on here. :)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
This is one of the main reasons for actually buying the metal base ones, it's just the cost making it more of a when question. The PVC ones were made with 1/2 to avoid the base being to big, but that also means the whole thing isn't as stable(needs to be staked outside) and the actual poles the dog is weaving through aren't the correct size either.

Alright, thank you for all the responses. It looks like the weaves will continue to be placed on hold until the 24 inch metal base ones can be bought. This is the best part of chaz, the amount of working knowledge that's on here. :)
Do you have any local agility clubs that you can ask? I got my bases from a group buy at a local club...together we had enough people to commission a local welder to make us a bunch of sets, which were cheaper and we didn't have to pay shipping. Just a thought...

xpaeanx

Do you have any local agility clubs that you can ask? I got my bases from a group buy at a local club...together we had enough people to commission a local welder to make us a bunch of sets, which were cheaper and we didn't have to pay shipping. Just a thought...
There are a few around here that can be asked if they will be doing/are thinking of doing a group buy. But the place I train obed in is one of the bigger agility centers and I know most people there just buy stuff on their own. But there are some smaller places that might.

I built my own with PVC for home and Diesel at 10lbs has no issue at all, and has had no issues transitioning to the flat iron ones at training.

Members online

No members online now.