CAO Volka meets Adult CO

gilles

yesterday my Volka almost 6 months (94 lbs) met for the first time my friend s adult 2 years caucasian ovcharka a monster of almost 170 lbs. however, This particular CO is very good with people but has a serious problem with other dogs. I was extremely nervous at first as they approached but my friend sensed that his dog is ok with Volka and soon they were wrestling on the street like crazy and playing. people gathered around them to watch and to take videos lol. it was hilarious to see them wrestle using their front legs to hold on each other's neck. then when they got tired they just layed down next to each other rubbing their heads together!!! i was nervous all the way and i am not sure how i could put Volka in such a risky situation but my friend kept assuring me that they are ok...i guess Volka was not afraid, and the other dog could tell that Volka was not intimidated so he just accepted him as a friend. Volka even tried to hop him few times lol

Glad they had fun, but be careful. You dog is still young and impressionable, and a scary encounter could be a huge setback for him - especially because many puppies go through a fear period at some point between 6 and 8 months.

If you are ever concerned or unsure about a situation - DO NOT put your puppy into that scenario. Nobody but you is going to stand up for your dog. It doesn't matter what anybody else says - if you are nervous, or if you know another dog has a history of aggression towards other dogs, why would you risk your puppy's wellbeing? You have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Sparrow

I agree with everything in the above post. The important thing about socialization isn't abundance, but positivity. My dog had an incident when she was about your dog's age that played into her lifelong DA. She still has a vendetta against cocker spaniels despite her improvements over the years. An encounter with an aggressive dog now could turn the tables for your dog's future reactions, so if I were you I'd ensure there was no chance a playmate has DA issues.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Is anyone else having a hard time believing this isn't trolling...?

crazedACD

Is anyone else having a hard time believing this isn't trolling...?
I could have sworn that I commented on a picture he posted of the dog, who was cropped, but can't find it now. It was a CAO chained with a collar that had very large spikes. And later he says the dog is not cropped or docked.

I always thought COA were bigger then Gage, who is 170lbs. This guys dog isn't cropped or docked he mentioned in another thread how he loves his tail. But like others have said I would make sure you are exposing him to dogs who you know are good with other dogs, one bite could affect him for life.

gilles

I could have sworn that I commented on a picture he posted of the dog, who was cropped, but can't find it now. It was a CAO chained with a collar that had very large spikes. And later he says the dog is not cropped or docked.
i never made any comment about any CAO cropped....my dog is not cropped!

gilles

sparrow and straw thanks for the advice , you are right i was nervous all the time and will not repeat it with the same dog coz i am not 100 percent sure he is stable enough not to explode and bite my dog.

gilles

I always thought COA were bigger then Gage, who is 170lbs. This guys dog isn't cropped or docked he mentioned in another thread how he loves his tail. But like others have said I would make sure you are exposing him to dogs who you know are good with other dogs, one bite could affect him for life.
thanks ...yes i love his magnificent tail lol...the other CO was around 170 lbs which is pretty big . the COA 's also can get that big and both can even get bigger. the standards for these dog has a lot of variations in weight and height . the weight of a CO or a CAO can vary from a minimum of 110 lbs or so to a maximum of 1176 lbs but no maximum limit exists for show, very often you can see much heavier dogs surpassing 200 lbs and this is acceptable. CAO even vary in shape u can find shorter and stockier ones, you can find tall ones but lankier, and you can find huge mastiff like ones, you can find short coat and you can find longer coats. it depends on the area and bloodline. most of them are cropped but i chose not to crop Volka

AmberD

thanks ...yes i love his magnificent tail lol...the other CO was around 170 lbs which is pretty big . the COA 's also can get that big and both can even get bigger. the standards for these dog has a lot of variations in weight and height . the weight of a CO or a CAO can vary from a minimum of 110 lbs or so to a maximum of 1176 lbs but no maximum limit exists for show, very often you can see much heavier dogs surpassing 200 lbs and this is acceptable. CAO even vary in shape u can find shorter and stockier ones, you can find tall ones but lankier, and you can find huge mastiff like ones, you can find short coat and you can find longer coats. it depends on the area and bloodline. most of them are cropped but i chose not to crop Volka
When do COAs generally get cropped? I'm just curious because when I was doing some serious research into COs several years ago, the breeders' sites I saw all had their puppies cropped extremely early, like a matter of days old. Someone on a forum I was on at the time was unable to choose not to have her CO cropped because that breeder did it at a very young age as well, long before the puppies were sold or the breeder could take their pick. I always assumed that CAOs were done the same way, but perhaps I am wrong (I do realize you're in a different country). Also, it has been years, so maybe things have changed. I, personally, think it's great if not cropping/docking is becoming more accepted in the breed.

gilles

^^ usually they get cropped as they are born like days after born this way it is easy and no need for surgery. but now in most of Europe cropping is becoming
banned. anyways if not cropped early , you have then to wait until 3 to 4 months to do it, anytime in between is not advised because the dog's immunity is low and he is not up to date on his vaccinations etc.....where i got my dog from they dont crop puppies they just leave the choice to the owner. i would be ok with ears cropped but i would never dock the tail of a CAO it is so nice and i bet very useful, i am not sure why they traditionally dock it anyways, i know the ears for fighting purposes and for looks but the tail...i guess also for looks.Volka is solid white with natural ears and tail ( nice tail curled up)

gilles

sorry i meant 176 lbs not 1176 lol

Members online

No members online now.