Structure for agility?

Picklepaige

I was thinking about dabbling in agility with Finn. Nothing serious and probably not competing much if any, but just something to do for fun. What sort of structure does a dog need to do agility safely? He is a rescue from the shelter of unknown breed origin, and I am not an expert on evaluating structure.

I am going to try to get some good outdoor stacked pictures this weekend, but for now all I have is this. Not very good and I don't know if you can tell anything from them, but doesn't hurt to try.

Elrohwen

As long as he isn't lame with anything, you will be fine. And he is a good weight. Have fun!!!
This. We take agility classes with a 3 legged beagle and she is awesome. If he's healthy and in decent shape he'll do fine. He looks to be muscular and in very good weight.

It's hard to tell since he's not stacked, but his shoulders look pretty good and I think his rear end would be balanced with the front if it was stretched out.

SpringerLover

Generally speaking, he'll likely be fine. I just remind people to pay attention to their dog. Dogs hide pain so well, and find different methods for avoiding things that are painful!

Drives me crazy when people say their dog is "being naughty" when it really could be a pain avoidance response.

/another thread.

Taqroy

Generally speaking, he'll likely be fine. I just remind people to pay attention to their dog. Dogs hide pain so well, and find different methods for avoiding things that are painful!

Drives me crazy when people say their dog is "being naughty" when it really could be a pain avoidance response.

/another thread.
This is good advice - the first time I put Mu in an agility class she ran the tunnel twice and then refused to do anything else. Instead she sniffed around looked at other people and threw every avoidance behavior ever. I found out later she had inflammation around her kneecap (from jumping and landing wonky). So just keep a close eye on him and don't automatically interpret disinterest as...disinterest.

Members online

No members online now.