The dog musing/vent thread

I let Sam and Wilson have free run of the house today while I went to school and I came home to a completely normal house aside from toys being strewn about which is totally okay with me. Nothing was chewed on that shouldn't have been, no accidents despite nobody being home for five hours, and the cat was left alone :D

Slick

Kristina
Bahaha, I have successfully conditioned Leo to cuddle with me whenever I want!

Last week, I discovered that if I covered myself in a blanket and then whined, Leo will "come save me", and vigorously dig himself under the blanket with me and then cuddle.

Well I guess I have done this enough times that he must now save me anytime I cover myself completely with a blanket, even if I don't whine.

So now, if I want to cuddle, but Leo doesn't want to, all I have to do is put a blanket over my head and we cuddle :lol-sign:

Second unrelated muse of the day:

Leo can drink from a waterfountain like a human. And I don't just mean stand up and lap from the stream. I'm talking, he actually drinks the water differently, sucking it up with no tongue, like we do. It's weird.

Drinking from water fountains has been super useful for when we go on runs together. I have to control it for him and only let him drink for a few seconds and then give him a break, because otherwise I think he swallows too much air, but it's super convenient to just find the water fountains on runs rather than having to bring something along.

Today while Louis was off-leash in a field, chasing a bird, I called his name, he stopped on a dime, and ACTUALLY CAME RUNNING BACK TO ME. It's a miracle!

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
eeeee conformation show of all breeds happening literally a 15 minute drive from my house on December 5th, an IPO trial about 25 minutes drive away on December 12th, and a lure coursing trial 45 minutes away on December 19th~20th! Everything happening so nearby and so close together. December is going to be an exciting month. :D :D :D

PHOTOGRAPHY NERD ACTIVATE

Sparrow

The dogs still at Rook's old home were out when I drove by to check yesterday. I'm always gut-punched by how bittersweet it is to see them. None look injured, and they aren't starving anymore. But I heard there have been pups again, so we'll see how long it takes this time.

Sigh.

I love those dogs. Despite all odds, those inbred creatures with barely any human interaction have amazing temperaments. I wish they would have signed them all over.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
eeeee conformation show of all breeds happening literally a 15 minute drive from my house on December 5th, an IPO trial about 25 minutes drive away on December 12th, and a lure coursing trial 45 minutes away on December 19th~20th! Everything happening so nearby and so close together. December is going to be an exciting month. :D :D :D

PHOTOGRAPHY NERD ACTIVATE

Aaaand Palm Springs is in January. You should go, I'll be there fumbling around the ring with a 6 month old Plott ;)

Duh just alerted to and helped to scare off an owl that was trying to subdue a duck. You're the best dog and I love you, dog. Thank you for being unreasonably loud.

Since I've been waking up at about 3am everyday, have started taking the dogs on pre-sunrise walks, and then a hike. Do like it because no one is out, but woods so cold and creepy at the same time. :p

I'm sure many of you here don't remember him at all, but I realized that it has been four years since I lost my precious Argon. He has been gone longer then I had him. How is that possible?

Of my current babies, only Gambit knew him. He was gone when I got Gimmick. Gone when I got Felony. Gone when I got Glitch. Gone when I got Tempest.

Sometimes it just punches you in the gut that time keeps passing, and the last time you saw your dog is getting further and further away.

I miss you, Argon. Without you, I would have never known the glory of the Supersized Praying Mantis (also known as whippets), and wouldn't have the boys snuggling next to me.

Hopefully you're enjoying your time until we're able to be together again. Hopefully you finally caught a pigeon, since I know that was always your life goal, that the wings you've surely earned should put you on more equal footing. Love you, my Wee Willy Whippitus.

BostonBanker

Gusto makes me laugh and shake my head nearly daily. He is such a weird, quirky, non-dog creature.

Today I took the dogs for a walk by one of the schools. Nice cross country running trails through the woods, giant soccer fields, and Little League fields. As we came out of the woods onto the baseball fields, I saw people playing fetch with a dog in one of the fields. Clearly taking advantage of the mostly fenced space. I've actually run into the same dog before without a fence between us, and I know it is fairly sketchy with dogs. So, as it starts charging the fence, I leaned over to tap Meg's head, because I'm sure if I let her fixate, she would have had a blast fence-fighting.

And Gusto instantly chose to leap onto my back. He's used the same move many times, when he's either worried about a dog coming at us, or getting overwhelmed by a dog he's playing with and needs a break, or when the snow is super deep and he's sick of walking. And every time, I laugh. He figured it out on his own. I can not, for the life of me, teach him to jump up on cue. But as soon as he decides he wants a safe spot, he bounds up in one leap, sticks his back feet in my waistband, and his feet over my shoulders like a weird little monkey child getting a piggy back ride.

The picture is actually from last winter, when he was trying to see over the snowbanks to watch people sledding. Because he also knows that this is a good vantage point for seeing great distances.

He is just so weird and I love him.

Maxy24

I've discovered that my idea of a normal bully stick is way thicker than everyone elses. We've always purchased them from a local chain pet store and they are nice thick 12" bully sticks, that's the only place I had purchased them before. I never bought them from PetSmart (where I work) because they were so thin, but I just assumed that was PetSmart being cruddy. But I just ordered a bunch of "thick" odor free bully sticks from Best Bully Sticks and they're way thinner than the ones I buy at the local chain. I was all excited because they were cheap (the ones at the store are $10-11 each) but they're not going to last nearly as long, boo.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I've discovered that my idea of a normal bully stick is way thicker than everyone elses. We've always purchased them from a local chain pet store and they are nice thick 12" bully sticks, that's the only place I had purchased them before. I never bought them from PetSmart (where I work) because they were so thin, but I just assumed that was PetSmart being cruddy. But I just ordered a bunch of "thick" odor free bully sticks from Best Bully Sticks and they're way thinner than the ones I buy at the local chain. I was all excited because they were cheap (the ones at the store are $10-11 each) but they're not going to last nearly as long, boo.
Yeah there's only 1 chain around here that has GOOD thick bully sticks. Everyone else that advertises "thick"... I'm like what the heck are these wimpy things lol. So hard to find good bully sticks. I don't even buy them anymore because I get more mileage out of bones and hooves and they're cheaper anyway.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Yeah there's only 1 chain around here that has GOOD thick bully sticks. Everyone else that advertises "thick"... I'm like what the heck are these wimpy things lol. So hard to find good bully sticks. I don't even buy them anymore because I get more mileage out of bones and hooves and they're cheaper anyway.
I'm assuming you mean Westerns. Because nobody beats Westerns. We got pig ear pieces that were just about the size of most ears. I bought them all. Because Westerns.

Members online

No members online now.