Flying with dog in cargo.. help!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I've flown with dogs carry-on style but never in cargo..

Merlin is coming home with me for thanksgiving! Which is awesome, but he will have to fly in cargo :/ and I'm super nervous

He has his ticket but I'm not sure about which crate to get or anything else.. I'm so nervous!

I know he will be fine but I'm a wreck!!!

We are flying American airlines.. I know. ick.

Tips???

Flyinsbt

Unless you can afford the tons of money for the fancy metal crates, I would go with a Vari-Kennel or Sky-kennel (pretty much the same thing, I'm not sure if there is a difference anymore besides color, but I bought a Sky-kennel for shipping anyway, because it makes me feel better). It's the industry standard. It should come with "live animal" stickers, and food/water cups, which you'll need. I'd also recommend putting some other stickers on your crate, painting it, etc, to distinguish it so you recognize it from a distance. You can usually watch out the window while you're waiting to board, and see them load the crate on the plane.

Pintage

Mountain Dawg
I flew with Lugia and Circus to and from Hawaii and Colorado twice this summer. They did just fine! It was a 10.5 hr flight and neither dog soiled their crate. I lined their crate wiith an absorbent orthopedic pad and put a dog bed and pillow in each dog's crate. They also had hooves and antlers to chew on. Neither dog developed a lasting fear of the crate and when I picked them up at the airport they were wiggly and happy to see me.

I flew with Alaska Airlines, before takeoff a stewardess gives you a stub torn off from your dog's cage card so you know they're on the same plane as you. I have no complaints and my dogs seem to handle flying very well. I plan on flying with them back to Hawaii again this winter. I try to pick flights that occur later in the day as possible so I can exercise the heck out of them prior to flying.

I don't know what your airline's policy is, but Alaska will not water your pet. I bought a big 16oz bowl and froze some water overnight and they each still had a bit left at the end of their flight.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Each airline has different policies. Some they can have chews others you can't so make sure you check it out. The airline website should have a list of everything you need to do. Make sure you know where to pick him up. If you are flying him as baggage I think some airline you pick up with the baggage. If you are flying him cargo you have to drop off and pick up at the cargo building. Each airline differs. I would call the cargo department (or what ever it's called) at the airport and talk to then about it.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Semi-off topic: do you not have to worry about heat if/when they fly cargo? How does that work?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Semi-off topic: do you not have to worry about heat if/when they fly cargo? How does that work?
Technically if you are on board it's called baggage. Most planes have climate controlled baggage areas but not all airlines will accept the liability of flying pets during extreme temperatures due to potential fluctuations and more scary failure because they do not have an attendant present.

There are pet embargoes on most airlines but they vary.

Saeleofu

Cargo is climate controlled and pressurized, so take comfort in that.

Get a crate that's airline approved - but don't trust the crate manufacturer's word! Double check with the airline (on size, too, because it'll probably have to be enormous unless you shave him lol). Go to the store and put your hands on the crates before ordering online. I was a bit disappointed in the one I ordered for Logan.

Also, worth mentioning - how far along is his service dog training? If he's far enough you are confident he'll behave for the flight and airport, you might ask if they would accept him as an SDiT in cabin. They'll probably say no (some airlines are more lenient than others), but there's no harm in asking.

Saeleofu

And if you have questions/need reassurance, I'm always here for a PM or FB message! :D

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Also, worth mentioning - how far along is his service dog training? If he's far enough you are confident he'll behave for the flight and airport, you might ask if they would accept him as an SDiT in cabin. They'll probably say no (some airlines are more lenient than others), but there's no harm in asking.
I did ask when I planned this trip a few months ago and spoke to his trainer and it is possible/allowed.
but honestly, I don't think he is there yet :/ It's not really a bad thing, he is doing well! But.. he is 11 months old, and a goober. We are still working on so much, he does so well with his public transport training (bus, train etc..) but never for anything this long time wise.

It would be legal technically, he is far enough in the program and as his handler I could get a note from the program.
But I would rather pay a bit more then have the stress of him (very likely) acting a fool in the cabin on this longish flight (3+ hours) and ruining it for SDit teams everywhere lol

Saeleofu

I did ask when I planned this trip a few months ago and spoke to his trainer and it is possible/allowed.
but honestly, I don't think he is there yet :/ It's not really a bad thing, he is doing well! But.. he is 11 months old, and a goober. We are still working on so much, he does so well with his public transport training (bus, train etc..) but never for anything this long time wise.

It would be legal technically, he is far enough in the program and as his handler I could get a note from the program.
But I would rather pay a bit more then have the stress of him (very likely) acting a fool in the cabin on this longish flight (3+ hours) and ruining it for SDit teams everywhere lol
If you're not 100% confident, then cargo is best (he'll be able to tell you're nto confident, too :p ). He's still a baby, he'll get there soon enough, no reason to rush!

milos_mommy

Fran, I just wanted to say thank you for your good judgement surrounding Merlin. So many people take advantage of SD rights and I'm afraid will ruin it for everyone

Members online