Considering therapy work

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
Now that Nola is almost 3 and has matured into such a great dog, I'm thinking about doing therapy work with her. None of my previous dogs have ever done therapy work, so I'm a bit lost on it all. Any help would be great.:)

Nola has her CGC (which was passed with flying colors), has a stable temperament, is not at all aggressive/reactive/snappy, is well trained and, while she's not an "OMG a person I LOVE people MUST SAY HI!!!" type dog she is friendly and social without being in your face. She is very in tune with people, and when someone's sick/hurt/upset she's very calm and loves to cuddle.

Only things that make me iffy with therapy work is that she is very, very handler focused. I'm the most important thing to her (not to stroke my ego;)), and she prefers me over everyone else.

What do y'all think?

Saeleofu

She sounds a lot like Logan! I haven't done therapy work with Logan (I'm still trying to find an organization I like, since both TDI and Delta are out), but I'd like to and I think he'd be good at it. I say give it a try, and if she doesn't like it you don't have to continue.

DenoLo

Lola has a very similar temperament and I do it with her. We go to a nursing home, she sits in a lap for a minute or two gets her pets and then we move on to somebody else. She enjoys it especially now that she's familiar with the regular people and she doesn't get all "Omg where's mom" because I'm right there with her.

I've found that most of the older people prefer that she's not over the top with them, she just lays down in their laps and sometimes takes a little nap

Members online

No members online now.