Tighter or looser when it comes to collars?

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
What's your preference on how tight/loose your dog's collar is?

I keep Nola's loose enough to slip over her head if she were to get hung up on something, but her head's the same width as her neck so the collar doesn't look as loose as it is. Her collar's only for holding ID and for looks since she's walked on a harness, and she wears it all the time so I want her to be comfortable.

BostonBanker

Meg wears hers pretty loose. She doesn't try to get out of it ever; mostly it is for tags and pretty.

Gusto can and will try to back out of his if it is too loose. His gets checked regularly to be sure it doesn't easily pull over his head.

I really only attach leashes to limited slips (or harnesses) for Maisy and Squash, but when they wear buckle collars I leave them slightly loose.

Pip has such a blocky head that his buckle collar can be comfortably loose and still not slip over his head.

Hudson's collars are usually left pretty loose, but he is rarely walked on a collar. On our way to NC for vacation I walked him on a collar and would tighten it before we got out of the car and then loosen it back up when we were safely enclosed. Paranoid? Maybe. Then again, I saw my mom & dad's dog slip her collar when she got spooked by the ocean waves.

Hillside

Original Twin
In the rare instances that Saga isn't wearing a martingale, her collars are tighter rather than loose. She is virtually only ever on a martingale because she will back out of collars and knows that she can. Nico's is almost exclusively on his fursaver...but when he does have a normal collar on, it's fitted.

Snark

Mutts to you
Fairly loose but I use martingale collars because all of my dogs have necks that are thicker than their heads, so regular buckle collars tend to slip off pretty easily.

No one wears a collar when out in the yard because I'm paranoid about them getting hung up on something - fence, tree branches, someone's teeth, etc.

Martingale. They fit pretty loose but tighten up when they're pulled. Tags are on a separate light collar that is loose.

I figure more dogs are lost and injured by collars coming off than them getting stuck on things.

Saeleofu

Gavroche - tighter, since he wears his 24/7 I don't want it sagging and getting stuck on stuff.

Logan - looser, since he wears it only when working and it's a martingale, it's pretty loose.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
All mine wear martingales so... it's adjusted to be able to slip over their head comfortably and of course when it tightens adjusted to be flat and tight but not choke-level.

The only time they ever wear collars is if we're out and about. Never in the house or yard. So I don't worry about them getting hung up on anything.

JacksonsMom

Slightly loose. Like you, he wears harnesses for walks, but occasionally I clip the leash to his collar if we're just running out for a quick potty, or a quick run to the car, or something of the sorts so I don't want it to be too loose.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Loose. I'll tighten them up for walks but, in Juno's case at least, it'd have to be REALLY tight in order for her to not be able to back out of a buckle collar.

Juno and Happy have a collar on pretty much 24/7 for ID purposes, so I don't want them to be snug and uncomfortable.

Loose as they are used as tag collars.
I can put them,on or take them,off without opening them.
When going to a dog show or in-town,they are on a slip/kennel leash.

GipsyQueen

tightish. It's loose enough to be comfortable, but tight enough so that she can't slip. She needs a new collar, so we're looking into martingales :)

Maxy24

Tight enough that it cannot slip over his head even if I have to drag him against his will from something he's trying to eat. He wears his collar when he's on a leash, so potty breaks, going on the tie out, and some walks if I'm not using his easy walk.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Loose, because he has tons of loose skin around his neck...it's bizarre. But loose.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
We use martingales, so fairly loose. They only ever wear collars when we're out and about though. They go naked at home.

Toller_08

Because I live with non-dog people at the moment who have left gates and garage doors open and screen doors unlatched my dogs currently wear loose collars with ID in the house. These incidences don't happen that awful, but just the fact that they have, have left me really paranoid about something happening. Thankfully they haven't ever gotten out because I check the gates and stuff constantly and I supervise, plus I don't let these people do stuff with my dogs when I am not home, but I want them wearing ID for precaution.

Prior though my dogs never wore collars in the house because I live in a playful multi dog home and didn't want a collar accident. So the collars they wore were only worn when out, and they were kept somewhat tight. Loose enough that they could slip out with effort, but not too loose. I walk my dogs on slip leads most of the time, but if they're off leash sometimes I'll hold my dogs by their collars to cross certain paths or whatnot and I don't want them to be able to easily slip out of their collars when I do that.

DJEtzel

I definitely like mine loose on them, because I don't want them to break the fur too bad. Sir's is much tighter since he has short fur, but I can still fit 4 fingers underneath his.

Members online

No members online now.