$265

elegy

overdogged
That's the new cost to surrender your pit bull to the shelter where I got Luce.

elegy

overdogged
Well, that means more dumped on the street :(
oh and they'll only take in 150 stray pit bulls from the city. and strays (of all types) may only be brought in by police officers, not citizens. (that, i assume, is all about municipalities and contracts and that kind of thing)

i am so disgusted.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
that, i assume, is all about municipalities and contracts and that kind of thing
Might also be to prevent individuals from bringing in their beloved "stray" to avoid the insane surrender fee.

Do shelters really not want to help animals any more?

MPP

petperson
And the purpose of this is what? To get people to dump their dogs outside city limits? How....humane.

elegy

overdogged
Their reasoning for it is because it's so hard to adopt out pit bulls that they end up housing them for so long and it's costly, so they pass that on to the people surrendering the dogs. I don't know if they'll give people who can't afford it a break or not.

While I understand that it's expensive to house dogs for months and that they are completely overwhelmed by pit bulls, this isn't the right answer.

Doberluv

Outrageous!:yikes: First they charge that for surrendering, then they charge at least that for adopting. Methinks they're making money unless they're keeping these dogs for a looooong time.

elegy

overdogged
some of them they are keeping for a long time. upward of a year or more for some dogs. they are super full and they've been renovating their existing building to make more space, especially for cats. the "meet n greet" rooms are now housing dogs. what used to be offices are now big communal cat colony rooms. they have crates in the hallways.

and probably 75% of the dogs there are pit bulls or pit mixes.

There really is no "right" answer. The shelters don't run for free. Electrcity costs money, water costs money, buildings cost money, staff costs money, vets cost money, improvements, maintenance, dog and cat food, etc. How long does 300 bucks keep a dog alive for?

Time are tight, money to them is down from municipalities, and surrenders are up because people can't keep their pets.

If they're too selective, they aren't helping animals, I don't know any in our area that are contracted with local muni's to take in strays that aren't absolutely bursting at the seams. If they charge too much to offset costs, people will just dump animals, I guess at least they'll get money when the city brings them in as strays. and if they don't charge, then they can't afford to house any animals. So what's the right answer?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
And this is why limited admission shelters drive me NUTS - they get money from people who "don't want to support a shelter that *kills* animals" when the open admission shelter down the street gets vilified for have to euth due to space issues. :(

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Ugh. How about fundraisers or bake sales, whatever- maybe something that doesn't prevent dogs from being taken in and adopted? :rolleyes:

Miakoda

Then it's time to mandate a 7-day hold policy and start ramping up the number of euthanasias. As hard as that is to fathom, I know I'd much rather see a dog surrendered and humanely euthanized versus dumped onto the streets where not only is the dog at risk for starving to death, getting hit by a vehicle, or getting shot, but where the percentage of "pit bull attacks squirrel" and other headlines will now drastically increase.

Shame on this shelter. Take the dogs in and put them down if you must. But don't be assholes and refuse to do the **** job that you are being paid to do.

stafinois

Professional Nerd
Then it's time to mandate a 7-day hold policy and start ramping up the number of euthanasias. As hard as that is to fathom, I know I'd much rather see a dog surrendered and humanely euthanized versus dumped onto the streets where not only is the dog at risk for starving to death, getting hit by a vehicle, or getting shot, but where the percentage of "pit bull attacks squirrel" and other headlines will now drastically increase.

Shame on this shelter. Take the dogs in and put them down if you must. But don't be assholes and refuse to do the **** job that you are being paid to do.

Exactly. But then at the same time, if they are full and are honest about it, will the dogs still get dumped if they know that the dog isn't likely to go to the mythical home in the country?

People suck :(

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Bad, bad policy. It's a recipe for starving dogs in the streets or worse. Yes, worse exists. Honestly if they're keeping dogs for over a year they are not doing their job.

It's dangerous for the public at large and inhumane for the pet population.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Exactly. But then at the same time, if they are full and are honest about it, will the dogs still get dumped if they know that the dog isn't likely to go to the mythical home in the country?
Yeah, maybe. But I think a lot of people still like to pretend theirs will be that one lucky dog who finds a fabulous home.

Members online

No members online now.