Bike riding?

I want to start taking Mysti on bike rides with me to exercise her (and myself! Lol). Any tips/info you it's can give me? She doesn't seem afraid of the bike when we just walk with it.... She's 2yrs old is it ok to IDE on paved streets with her? How long is too long? What's the best way to keep the leash and her with me?

Thanks!

I'd start slow and build up. I go for 3-6 mile rides at least once or twice a week when there isn't snow on the roads with no issues. Start with a mile or so and build up over a couple week period just so their pads can toughen up a bit.

The biggest concern would be NO riding on wet pavement. It tears up their pads rather quickly. If they're wet, I don't go.

I also use a shorter "belt" leash and the metal ring just goes over the climbing bar on my mountain bike :) like it was meant to be. They make all sorts of attachments, but this works fine for me and I never let them start to sneak out front. Once their head get's past the front wheel, suddenly they think they can run in front of the bike.

Otherwise I'd just wrap the leash in my right hand and then grip it when I grabbed the handle bar.

I looove biking with Traveler and have started Didgie on really short bike rides. Some of my favorite memories are on bike rides!

As far as running on pavement goes I hope someone else can help you since I pretty much do none of it. I ride either next to the curb or the edge of the sidewalk so they can run in the grass or I'm on bike paths that aren't paved.

I would start slow definitely, though how slow depends on her physical condition. Traveler I started at about a mile. Didgie is doing down one street and back since she's a baby. I also always try to vary the pace, some fast bursts, some trotting and so on. Sometimes I'll do a really fast three mile bikeride other times I'll do a more leisurely 7 mile bike ride.

One thing I do try really hard to do, especially in the longer ones is having a break part way through where we're doing something else. In the summer it's typically fetch in a pond/lake. During colder times I do some fetch in a field or up a hill. Sometimes I'll go for a short hike through some place. Just something to break it up.

For getting her used to it I would maybe if she's food driven try and treat her for staying near while you're on it. But, to be honest my typical method is the cold turkey, lets GO! method :D I get on the bike, I ride and I let them figure out that we can RUUUNN! Though with Didgie I'm also treating while doing it. She the first time said "WEE!" And tried to jump into my arms.

As far as the leash goes I don't use any contraption, they make me nervous. I like having the option of letting go of the leash if need be (And I've had to do it before), letting them out farther, reeling them in, switching sides etc. So all I do is let the leash handle go through the bike handle and then loop it around once so my hand is resting on it. That way I can grab and tighten if I need to or let go if I need to. So far it's worked well for me!

NinaB

My girls LOVE bikejoring!!! I love it too because it's a great fun way to keep them conditioned and we can explore new places together. I have my dogs (I run one at a time) out in front of me...they are in harness and on a line attached to the front of my bike on the frame. We go as fast or as slow (doesn't happen often!) as they want..so they can run all out and then when they tire can slow to a trot or walk. Of course I stop and rest/water them along the way..how often is dependent on the weather, their conditioning at the time etc. For our safety they have been taught to stay on the trail no matter what crosses our path in the form of wildlife, to ignore other dogs no matter how poorly the other dogs are acting, to keep a taught line, slow down on command, stop on command, pass and be passed, turns..

We never run on pavement because it's too hard on the joints and just like us...start slow and build up with distance.

Here is a video from a ride last fall with Maya...the first mile of our ride that day..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R59XKK4EyRc

It's soooooo much fun!!! I hope you give it a try!

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I biked quite a bit with Harlow back in CO. We had a paved bike trail but i tried to rode close to the edge so she was mostly in the grass. I just held leash and rested my hand on the handle bars. I tried to stay at a trot for most of the ride while sprinting in short distances.. A lot of the time i had her wear her backpack for some more conditioning

Members online

No members online now.