Shampoo recommendation!

RBark

Got Floof?
So I have a white dog, and a mostly white Merle dog.

I need a shampoo to keep the whites, white. I haven't had time to groom Kobe in a long time (been using a groomer). But now that I have time, I want to do it myself.

What do you guys use? I need something that's very mild, but hopefully good for whites.

I use EZ-Groom Crystal White Shampoo. But, I recall it was somewhat harsh. I only used it on his ears.

Any suggestions?

I have never used a whitening shampoo on my own dogs or clients. Never really had to even on the white dogs. But I know a lot of groomers swear by EZ Groom Crystal Light and Les Pooch Bright. Suds on, rinse off, suds on, leave for 20 minutes if heavily stained and rinse off again.

What do you guys use? I need something that's very mild, but hopefully good for whites.
I think whitening shampoo is always going to be a little harsh. Mild & whitening seem to be contradictions from what I can tell by reading shampoo labels.

Condition well and you should be fine, especially for occasional use. Most show dogs get bathed weekly with quality products without adverse effect.

samshine

LOLsamoyeds
I know what you mean

I have Samoyeds and agree that some of the whitening shampoos can be too harsh for some coats. For example, Chris Christensen's White on White works great but if used regularly can be damaging to a Samoyed coat.

1st in Line White Lightning is pretty good, but maybe just a tad harsh for a dog that is getting bathed every week or two. I just ordered my favorite shampoo, Pure Pet Pure Bright. I think you have to order directly from them. http://www.purepet.com/default.aspx I have used this shampoo regularly on my show dogs and never had any problems.

Also, I've found that if I use conditioner the dogs get dirty again much faster. A clean Sammy coat is really good at shedding dirt, but the conditioner changes that.

Last edited:

Saeleofu

I think whitening shampoo is always going to be a little harsh. Mild & whitening seem to be contradictions from what I can tell by reading shampoo labels.

Condition well and you should be fine, especially for occasional use. Most show dogs get bathed weekly with quality products without adverse effect.
This. Or instead of conditioning, after you use the whitening shampoo use a regular shampoo. Whitening shampoo should never be the last product you put on a dog during a bath.

As far as what, I use whatever livestock whitening shampoo is cheapest at TSC and have had good results, though neither dog ever really gets dingy even when I don't use a whitener.

Stingr69

Papillon Fan
Chris Chritensen "White on White" is what I use every 6 months or so. I rub it in full strength on a wet dog and wrap him up in a towel. Leave it in no longer than 10 minutes or you may get a funny color :). Works great on my black and white pap. His coat is white, clean and real soft after that.

-Mark.

Lyzelle

I use white vinegar on Zander. Shampoo + baking soda on the worst parts (mostly his neck and legs for metal stains and grass stains). Work in for a few minutes or just let it sit. Rinse. White vinegar. Let sit for a couple minutes. Conditioner ( I might use human conditioner. With silicones. Coconut oil is also nice). Rinse.

Red and white Sibe dog is white. And very red.

Eta: Wtf old thread

justin001

I use to take my dog to a self serve dog wash parlour called iCleandogwash and really don't have an idea which shampoo they are using. But they are using good one as after what my dog looks fresh and clean. I have also read an blog about using human soap I am going to try this week and will surely notify if it works..

Members online