Flyball people question

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I've heard from a few sport people that there are breeders of cattle dog x rat terriers or cattle dog x jack Russell for sports. Particularly heard of some in Nevada? I'm guessing they meant blue cedar but they look more like border/jack/staff/whippet types to me. Occasional malinois. Don't see any ACD or rat.

I'm really just curious to see what they look like but I can't find any. Anyone familiar with these dogs?

I know of a couple of ACD/JRTs but one was in the shelter and the other was a one-off oops. Both are at least 4, if not older.

Blue Cedar has never used ACD in anything unless they have an underground litter no one's ever heard of.

In terms of ACDs in anything - I don't think anyone's playing with them in terms of breeding at all. The most "out there" stuff I've heard of is the BC/Rats and a Mini-Aussie/Whippet breeding.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Interestingly at the agility trial I was once again asked if he was a flyball mix of ACD/rattie. This time from people in Texas.

Several people chimed in when I mentioned I had been asked before about this a few times that 'yeah that's a mix they're doing for flyball!' And then they started talking about some big flyball sport breeders and how they're mixing bcs and whippets and bcs and terriers.

It seems a lot of the agility folk here find it distasteful. I wonder if the rumors of ACD/rat or ACD/JRT are going along with this feeling that they dislike the idea of sports mixes and sport breeders are mixing everything. I've even been told 'Whew, glad he's not one of those. They're just breeding for speed and those dogs are terrible pets for anybody!'

I cannot take him to a sports event without being asked if he's a flyball mix though.

crazedACD

Interestingly at the agility trial I was once again asked if he was a flyball mix of ACD/rattie. This time from people in Texas.

Several people chimed in when I mentioned I had been asked before about this a few times that 'yeah that's a mix they're doing for flyball!' And then they started talking about some big flyball sport breeders and how they're mixing bcs and whippets and bcs and terriers.

It seems a lot of the agility folk here find it distasteful. I wonder if the rumors of ACD/rat or ACD/JRT are going along with this feeling that they dislike the idea of sports mixes and sport breeders are mixing everything. I've even been told 'Whew, glad he's not one of those. They're just breeding for speed and those dogs are terrible pets for anybody!'

I cannot take him to a sports event without being asked if he's a flyball mix though.
I have a hard time seeing people wanting to mix ACDs and Rat Terriers specifically for sports. I could see Rat/BC or Aussie, but ACDs certainly aren't top ranking in any sport other than disc maybe. The stigma of ACDs being not very dog tolerant (or human tolerant) and the Terrier personality just doesn't sound like a great mix on paper :p, if I was looking to breed sport mixes. Of course Hank isn't like this but the bad traits of both breeds would make a poor sport dog.

Rat/ACD or JRT/ACD is common but I think this is because a lot of horse/farm people have both. Also, there are people out there breeding for "miniature" ACDs... and they are mixing Rat and JRT to get it because they still stay somewhat true to type and color with the mix, just small.

Like this..."Mini ACD"...obv mixed with another small breed.

Members online

No members online now.