Psychological damage?

A few of you may remember me posting a few weeks ago, about a dilema I had. That my office was moving and I didnt know what to do? Heres the link if you want to read it...problem

Well my office is still moving in about 7 weeks, I still cant decide what to do so it looks like im going to be travelling back and forth for a while. I really didnt want to do that, but i have no option, if we decide to move house, thats going to take time, and if i decide to look for another job, that will take time.

So my problem is, shadow who will be 6 months at that point, will be on her own for 10 hrs a day. What is this going to do to her? I've thought about taking her down lee's parents house, where she will at least have a canine companion, but i wont be able to do that everyday. How will she cope being on her won for all that time? At the moment she is on her own for 4 hrs then I go home for lunch, then another 3.5 hrs. And she's always there waiting by the door when i come home, she knows what time i come home. how will she cope when i dont turn up? She's very good when i leave her, she never whines, or barks, she knows Im leaving and shes ok with it. But when its for 10hrs? I feel guilty enough when i leave her know, i dont know what im going to be like when i have to leave her all day.

Im thinking of almost weaning her off, if that makes sense. Because i have 7 weeks, I can not go home for lunch day one day, and slowly build it up, until im not going home at all. Will this work?

Also what can i do about feeding her, at the moment she is still fed 3 times a day, but if im not going home lunch time what can i do? feed her a larger amount a breakfast time, and then when I come home at 6pm? There is no one who can come over and feed her for me.

Im a really worried about the psychological damage theis could do to shadow, being left at such a young age, for such a long period of time.

please help. what can i do?

Melissa_W

Oh dear... it sounds like you are in a really tough spot. How long is this situation going to last?

Barb04

Super Moderator
I think the idea of slowly coming home after longer periods of time each day sounds like a good idea.

I also think you could probably start feeding her twice a day, morning & night.

I leave a radio playing when I go out for my pets. Also, remember to leave lots of toys to play with.

Fran27

Sorry I missed your first post...

10 hours is a lot... I would definitely start looking for another job or house, and probably pick one depending on where you live, and where you would have the most chances of finding another job if you had to. Renting the house like you considered is a good idea too, if you can afford it.

For the food, my boys have been fed twice a day ever since I got them, and it's fine. Just start decreasing her lunch portion and increasing the other ones, and after a fey days you can just stop feeding at lunch.

I think you've got an excellent plan. Remember, dogs are much more elastic than we give them credit for.

Taking Shadow over for a day of play two or three times a week is a good idea as well. You might want to start now with half days to get Shadow used to it and see how it works out.

I think Shadow will be fine . . . you, on the other hand, are going to be a basket case, lol!

Allyse718

I want 2 b a dog 4 a day
I know this isn't psychological, but physiological. Your pup is used to going outside to use the bathroom every 4 or so hours. If you aren't able to come home to let him out or have someone let him out for you, 10 hours is a LONG time for a 6 month old puppy to hold it, regardless if he is fully potty trained or not. I hope you can figure out something to do! I know you're worried about it but I'm sure everything will turn out just fine.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Well you might come home to a few accidents but once you get home shadow will forget about being left alone all day and just want to be with you. Supposedly I heard somewhere that dogs don't have a sense of time. 5 minutes and 5 hours is all the same to them when you aren't around. Thats what I hear lol I don't know how true that is.
You have to do what you have to do. This is your job and its not something you can just say "oh well I will just have to do without one" It's great that you are thinking of your dog but you are going to drive yourself crazy worrying :D Your idea sounds like it would work out fine.

Members online

No members online now.