Could my dog have eatena poisoned bone?

My 8 year old sister(rottweiler) died today. She was perfectly happy and healthy yesterday. My mom stopped at Petsmart and got her one of those huge pork bones. She brought it home and gave it to Zoe. She ate it, as she usually does, and then three hours later started vomiting. My parents assumed she ate the bone too fast, but then when it continued throughout the night and into the next day and she wasnt moving from the same spot, we thought something wasnt right. Then my brother said it looked like her breathing was looking a little odd, so my parents came home and knew there was something really wrong. They had to carry her up the stairs using a shower curtain and three guys to get her up from the basement to the garage to go in the truck. Her eyes were low and she looked very out of it. She started to lose all control of her bowels and was defecating without even moving. My dad called the vet but they couldnt fit her in because they were closing in 15 minutes (nice huh?) so he had to take her into the ER. As he was two blocks away, she took her last breath.
My mom is getting a few pieces of bone from where she vomited in hopes to get them to a lab to be tested to see what might have been on it. They said they dont do autopsies unless the dog might be rabid. They also said that sometimes pet food manufacturers cure their bones in some pretty nasty stuff and if that is the case someone will wish they never made that bone. I need to know what chemicals to tell the lab to look for. And if this is something that anyone else has gone through. There is still that small chance that it was of natural causes, she was an old dog, but I find it a bit ironic how the order of events went.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Eight isn't terribly old for a Rottie. I know the bones you're talking about and I agree it may be something on/in that. Petsmart usually makes sure to carry good quality stuff, but those bones don't sell very fast, and they're at ground level so every Fluffy, Max and Sparky can see and slobber on them as they pass. So it's possible that either the bone had spoiled or had a bacterium/virus/something on it that your dog reacted to. Write a letter to both the bone manufacter and Petsmart saying what happened. If anything it might get them to rotate the stock out.

candy

if the bone she ate was poisoned then you could sew petsmart. ( but, personally i wouldn't )

tcreed

I've had my dog get part of a bone stuck in his throat before. (Not current dogs). It's possible he had a sliver that could have ruptured something inside of him (stomach, lining, intestines). It is very sad though, and I'm sorry for your loss.

bubbatd

I'm so sorry for you...it could have been another cause...are you checking ?

The people at the hospital said that if the bone would have cut her inside she would have been vomiting blood. Yes, we're going to defintily get something checked out if possible. Thank you all for your advice and condolences.

dani12

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your dog. I hope you find out what caused it. Was there anything else that your rottie got into? Anything that they could have eaten outside?

filarotten

Fila the love
I am so sorry. It is so sad when you lose your loved one. Chances are the bone splintered in the stomach. This happened to our dane when he was three. My husband fed him a steak bone. he started vomiting, we were fortunate to get him to the vet in time. He did not vomit blood. I believe they called it torsion or torsion twist. The stomach had twisted and bone fragments were all over his stomach. The vet had to operate and remove a lot of bone fragments, they then stapled the stomach to the ribs. I am so sorry. After that we have never fed another cooked bone.

I am so sorry for all of your pain and loss, Lita. The chances that Fila is right are extremely high. No more cooked or processed bones for dogs! They really shouldn't even be on the market.

avenlee

Lita, I'm so sorry for your loss. I was just thinking, has your dog ever eaten pork before? I know that my dogs can not handle or digest it at all. I caught my husband feeding Sadie some pork once and I reemed him out. And sure enough she was vomitting everywhere (I made him clean it) Sometimes dogs have a weird reaction to pork. I'm in no way suggesting that this was the cause, its just a thought that ran through my head.

bogolove

I am so sorry for your loss. This is absolutely terrible. I am so sad for you and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and I hope that you find out what happened.

Again thank you all... and sorry to those of you who lost your friends too. She has had pork before so I dont know if that was the cause, but I actually heard of that Torsion before. A friend of mine had a rottweiler that got a hold of a chocolate cake and his stomache twisted and turned upside down. He died also, but I'll have to ask her if he had the same symptoms.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I am so sorry for what happened to Zoe. Please know that she will always be in your heart and memories forever. Cherish the good times the two of you had with each other.

Sorry about your dog. I've never lost one early, they have always lived to about 11 or more. It sounds like your dog had Torsion. A friend's Greyhound had similar symptoms. They got him fixed ok, and lived to the ripe old age of 16.

My friend's Boxer Sarge was fine one day, he and my Pit mix played together without any problems. Two days later, he seemed to start having problems. He was drooling and didn't want to move. His stomach seemed very hard. My friend took him to the local ER Vet place and they thought he had pancreatitis at first. My friend had to go to work (his last day before retiring, so he HAD to go) for an hour. When he came back to the vet, they were prepping him for surgery. It turned out he had a blood clot in the artery that supplied his intestines, and when they opened him up, his intestines were dead, and he had to be put down on the table.

I ran into him, before he had a chance to tell us, and we asked him where Sarge was, and he told us the whole deal. He was a mess. He swore up and down, "No more dogs, I can't take it!" About 9 months later, my dog died, and we lasted two whole weeks before getting King and Mollie. A few weeks later, he turns up with two Boxer pups. Six ears later they are doing well.

Members online

No members online now.