The one that got away?

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
Almost ten years ago I saw a flier in the pet store for this guy. He had come into the municipal shelter as a stray, was pulled by a no-kill shelter that failed to adopt him out for several months and then returned him to the kill shelter to make room for more adoptable dogs. The place was overcrowded and his number kept coming up, but he was such a lovely dog that the shelter workers were going to new and different lengths to keep him from being euthanized. When the time came to round up the dogs on the list, they would hide him in the cat room, or move him to a different kennel so he couldn't be found that day. This had been going on for over a month.

Here's his shelter pic:

At the time, Brisbane was under a year old and we were living with my parents who were NOT ok with another dog. My then-boyfriend pulled him from the shelter for me even though his family wasn't ok with a dog either, and the two of us passed him back and forth for a couple of days while figuring out what to do.

Next to Brisbane's vet at the time was an embroidery shop where my sister worked. I was trying to get Briz's weight under control and went to weight him on the scale in the lobby at the vet a couple of times a week. The owners of the embroidery shop were absolutely enamored with Brisbane and wanted a dog just like him. When I came in with Ranger, they immediately recognized him and said they had seen him at the shelter just a few days before. They said they had almost adopted him, but just weren't quite sure what he'd be like outside the shelter. They asked to borrow him for a couple of hours and called less than an hour later to say they were keeping him.

Both the boyfriend and I knew it was the best thing for Ranger, but were sad to see him go. That dog could jump an 8' fence and could have made an amazing agility dog. He also had a really fabulous personality, and overall just fit very well with me and Brisbane. I used to babysit him when his people went out of town, and he and Briz would play until they keeled over.

Fast-forward a few years, and his people had babies. They are both teachers now, and managing an autistic toddler, an infant, and busy teaching jobs hasn't left much time for the dogs. The autistic kid also likes to run up behind Ranger and smack him, which resulted in a couple of face bites (only bruises) before they implemented a total separation strategy. The kid isn't getting any less challenging, the dogs aren't getting any less tolerant, and their people aren't feeling like the dogs get any attention beyond the food bowls being filled.

I've always said I would take Ranger back in a heartbeat if I got the chance, and I'm getting the chance. I've been taking him and his little sister Annie off and on for a few months now, and the plan if for them to join me after I buy a place, hopefully later this year.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
For me, it's actually a cat. About five years ago, our local shelter had a cat named Sloan who was available FOREVER. She was born without upper eyelids, a defect which required her to have surgery so her lashes didn't grow into her eyes. All of that was done before I even learned about her. My husband went back and forth to the shelter a couple times to visit her, but between our existing pets and a few other things going on in our lives at that moment, we ultimately decided that it wasn't the right time in our lives at add a third cat.

Looking back... I have never wanted a cat as much as I wanted her.

I can think of a few dogs here and there that I can clearly remember considering and didn't take home, but none that I regret missing out on as much as Sloan.

amberdyan

For me, it's actually a cat. About five years ago, our local shelter had a cat named Sloan who was available FOREVER. She was born without upper eyelids, a defect which required her to have surgery so her lashes didn't grow into her eyes. All of that was done before I even learned about her. My husband went back and forth to the shelter a couple times to visit her, but between our existing pets and a few other things going on in our lives at that moment, we ultimately decided that it wasn't the right time in our lives at add a third cat.

Looking back... I have never wanted a cat as much as I wanted her.

I can think of a few dogs here and there that I can clearly remember considering and didn't take home, but none that I regret missing out on as much as Sloan.
I'm not a fan of cats, but I also had one cat at a shelter I fell in love with. He was a lean 4 year old that looked like a kitten and literally just wanted to be held, hugged and cuddle 24/7. I taught him to sit, down and leap into my arms only using cuddles as a reward.... he was awesome. I was seriously dating someone (who I eventually married,lol) that was allergic to cats so I k new I couldn't have him. Still think about him every once and awhile.

Almost ten years ago I saw a flier in the pet store for this guy. He had come into the municipal shelter as a stray, was pulled by a no-kill shelter that failed to adopt him out for several months and then returned him to the kill shelter to make room for more adoptable dogs. The place was overcrowded and his number kept coming up, but he was such a lovely dog that the shelter workers were going to new and different lengths to keep him from being euthanized. When the time came to round up the dogs on the list, they would hide him in the cat room, or move him to a different kennel so he couldn't be found that day. This had been going on for over a month.

Here's his shelter pic:

At the time, Brisbane was under a year old and we were living with my parents who were NOT ok with another dog. My then-boyfriend pulled him from the shelter for me even though his family wasn't ok with a dog either, and the two of us passed him back and forth for a couple of days while figuring out what to do.

Next to Brisbane's vet at the time was an embroidery shop where my sister worked. I was trying to get Briz's weight under control and went to weight him on the scale in the lobby at the vet a couple of times a week. The owners of the embroidery shop were absolutely enamored with Brisbane and wanted a dog just like him. When I came in with Ranger, they immediately recognized him and said they had seen him at the shelter just a few days before. They said they had almost adopted him, but just weren't quite sure what he'd be like outside the shelter. They asked to borrow him for a couple of hours and called less than an hour later to say they were keeping him.

Both the boyfriend and I knew it was the best thing for Ranger, but were sad to see him go. That dog could jump an 8' fence and could have made an amazing agility dog. He also had a really fabulous personality, and overall just fit very well with me and Brisbane. I used to babysit him when his people went out of town, and he and Briz would play until they keeled over.

Fast-forward a few years, and his people had babies. They are both teachers now, and managing an autistic toddler, an infant, and busy teaching jobs hasn't left much time for the dogs. The autistic kid also likes to run up behind Ranger and smack him, which resulted in a couple of face bites (only bruises) before they implemented a total separation strategy. The kid isn't getting any less challenging, the dogs aren't getting any less tolerant, and their people aren't feeling like the dogs get any attention beyond the food bowls being filled.

I've always said I would take Ranger back in a heartbeat if I got the chance, and I'm getting the chance. I've been taking him and his little sister Annie off and on for a few months now, and the plan if for them to join me after I buy a place, hopefully later this year.

What's that? Oh, just allergies...(sobs)

There were actually several when I worked at the Humane Society.

First, was a Chi named Paco. He was def not your average Chi. He'd chase balls, do agility, etc. He also rarely barked.:hail:

Here's a vid of him chasing a toy over several jumps. He somehow cleared two in one jump!
https://www.facebook.com/BulverdeAreaHumaneSociety/videos/631008773615408/?theater

Miley was another one I loved (she's still at the shelter though). She will follow you around like a shadow and LOVES to rest her head on your lap while you scratch her tummy. Her SEVERE anxiety issues made her not a good fit for me right now (the other dogs would send her into a nervous breakdown).

There was also a GSD mix named Audrey. She also had anxiety issues and she only let quiet, calm people walk her. Anytime a loud/excited person entered her pen, she'd shut down and melt into a puddle.

There was also a Newf puppy, a GD X lab, a Golden X Basset and a gold colored Aussie mix.

Members online

No members online now.