Chickens:)

Found this too....I have tons of chicken videos and pics, but this was from like our second year having them, all of these have since passed, sniff sniff (Dumpling and Kiev just passed this summer)

ZOMG CHICKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3 Chickies!
The dark one center of the freeze fame in your post looks JUST like our Snappy! I don't think I have a picture of her online, but this was one of her "sisters" Furry (RIP, I loved her so much, she was my first "trained" chicken) -

Furry by ~WelshStump~, on Flickr

Aww, that dark one was Cordon Bleu. She was my favorite by far. She died on my 30th bday.

I never thought I would enjoy chickens as much as I do..they are so great.

Xandra

Nice! I love the "muffed" (if that the right term?) breeds.

I have one white leghorn, 1 old brown dud and 5 nice Braubers (or something). The leghorn must be on fourth cycle and still lays daily.

Mine have a box about 3'x4'x3' or something, and then I let them out into a yard about 50'x50', which they escape out of and "Free range" lol.

It isn't the best set up because to have fresh air they need to be let out, so especially in the summers they miss out on daylight because I ain't waking up at 6am to release them lol. I would like it if they had a secure coop and run that didn't require me to lock them up.

How do y'all (haha I can use this term because I'm online) keep your chickens?

We are in the burbs/city so there are really not too many predators around. I mean, there are, but in between all the dogs in the neighborhood and the general commotion, we dont have many incidents so we have a fairly open set up. We have 8 ft tall fencing and a coop...the coop is usually left open for the chickens to come in and out at will. When it gets super cold we shut it at night because of both the cold and that is when we seem to get animals desperate enough to come that far into our yard and try.

The coop is currently behind the cherry tree in this pic....so you can see how far back and tucked away it is

Side view (with Caramel sleeping in her favored spot, the tree)

Xandra

Nice yard, it looks very bucolic and green.

The 8 ft fence probably keeps them pretty safe. Mine are in with the llamas, but the fence is 4.5' and the wire is 5"x 5"... we had a few tail feathers pulled out of the dud by a coyote (through the fence).

Nice! I love the "muffed" (if that the right term?) breeds.

I have one white leghorn, 1 old brown dud and 5 nice Braubers (or something). The leghorn must be on fourth cycle and still lays daily.

Mine have a box about 3'x4'x3' or something, and then I let them out into a yard about 50'x50', which they escape out of and "Free range" lol.

It isn't the best set up because to have fresh air they need to be let out, so especially in the summers they miss out on daylight because I ain't waking up at 6am to release them lol. I would like it if they had a secure coop and run that didn't require me to lock them up.

How do y'all (haha I can use this term because I'm online) keep your chickens?
lol, I call them fuzzy faced, that's the story behind Furry's name, she was my "Furry faced chicken".

Ours right now are all crammed into a large coop and fenced run, since the devil himself (fox) took our favorite (and most expensive) Wellsummer. Usually we let them run the entire 48" welded wire sheep pasture, we found the electric fencing doesn't quite work so well on some wooly sheep *hrm*, don't know now when they'll get back to that, until the devil is dispatched at least. Don't have a full photo of it, but you can see the barn/coop and fully fenced run in the back of this photo -

Sir Charles by ~WelshStump~, on Flickr

Sorry if this picture is huge -

Oh yes, and forgot to add, right now we're down to: 3 Leghorn Roosters, 5 Leghorn hens, 5 Wyendote(sp?) hens, 4 Americana hens, 1 Barred rock hen, 1 Coo coo mauran(sp?) hen, and 1 Wellsummer hen.

Dogs6

Plus One
We had chickens and are hoping to get more soon!

I loved my bantams but they very quickly decided that the bushes beside their coop were much better for sleeping in than the coop. I tried to get them back in but it wasn't happening. They actually managed to survive for a good amount of time but then someone gave me a rooster ... 2 days later they were all gone. And then after a week my favourite wandered back into the garden! She managed another 2 weeks on her own!

Now that the goats have trimmed those bushes back, and grazed that area completely down, we're going to try fencing it properly and building a larger chicken coop. We're hoping to get about 10 hens. I want a rooster as well but we'll see how it goes.

Members online

No members online now.