Agility training

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Sounds like everyone is coming along and having a blast with training :) congrats!

Just heard the class I wanted at a different facility filled...darn. We aren't members there so don't get priority. Ironically, to become a member you have to take classes there... see the catch-22? :p. It's been about 7 months since our last group class session ended. We'll just keep on training on our own and with friends. Babygirl MacNut is going home this weekend ( :sadface: ) so I should have more time, and with any luck spring will arrive soon so we can train outdoors again. Also signed up to audit a seminar soon, first one in a long time...should be interesting.

Good luck with your training, everyone :)

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Yay, great news from everyone!

MandyPug, the dog switching sounds fun! I've never tried to let anyone run Pan, but it might help her with her stranger hate.

We have straight weaves, yay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zKgSIodtv0
It is fun! Izzie wouldn't have been able to do it a year ago. It helps build value for the game and takes some of the mama focus out of it. Plus it's really cool to see your own dog running. Much different perspective!

SaraB

Yay for Pan's straight weaves! They look great!!

I'm super sad about Cookie going home. I was secretly hoping you were going to keep her all this time, even though I know you couldn't. Sad face is right.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I'm super sad about Cookie going home. I was secretly hoping you were going to keep her all this time, even though I know you couldn't. Sad face is right.
I am too, as is hubby. Trying not to whine about it (probably failing, sorry guys) but **** I am going to miss her.

But it's really best for everyone. Her people need her and she will have a job. She's too close in age to my crew to ever be competed the way she deserves. And if she stays there is absolutely no way I could consider keeping a Mirapup if all goes well and we have a litter in early 2014.

None of this has changed...it was all true before MacNut came home with me in August...and it is still true now... and yet...

/whine

Trying to stay focused on everything I need to do before Mirapups instead. Keeping my girl and her pups-to-be safe and healthy are the top priority. Stacking the odds in their favor is well underway but there is plenty left to do.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh Shai.... :( I was secretly hoping she'd stay too.

We did some good stuff this week. Unfortunately I started out this weeks' class by crashing into Mia and stomping down on her foot. That makes you feel fantastic... Getting some weave entrances going. It's going slowly. I am hoping to get them good enough to do the next round of weaves classes. They just started up one set but they need to be a little more advanced than mine are.

summer and I are starting a teamwork class today with a different instructor. So we will see how that goes. I kind of feel bad taking her and not Mia. That means Mia is training 1-2x a week now and Summer is training 3x a week at the training place. But my trainer and I agree that Summer is far less focused and more in need of distraction classes. I'm hoping to get Mia in the next round of these classes.

I'm really hoping to start competition fall maybe early winter.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh and I will be at the AKC nationals all friday and hopefully Sunday morning next weekend! I have agility and nosework Sunday afternoon and distractions class on Saturday.

Ever feel like dogs are slowly becoming your life? lol But I'm really excited to get to see the nationals. Wish some other chazzers were going.

BostonBanker

Ever feel like dogs are slowly becoming your life? lol But I'm really excited to get to see the nationals.
Slowly? No, more like falling down a waterfall :p Off to club practice now...after group practice Wednesday, class Thursday, run-thrus Friday...

Have fun at Nationals!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I wish we had more open floor practice times, group times, etc. It's pretty much just... class. And my yard is too tiny to get much going in. If I have my 6 weaves, I have no yard left for anything else.

Dog training 5x a week and I still want more. Ack.

BostonBanker

The place where I take classes usually has run-thrus once a week, so that is great. We also have a pretty active local agility club, so I get the Wednesday and Saturday practices through them. And I have a couple of friends with full or nearly-full sets of equipment who keep telling me that I'm welcome to come work my dogs any time once it is nice enough to work outside. I'm very, very lucky to have such good access to everything - especially since I have to set my 6 weave poles on a diagonal across our "yard" to get them to fit!

We are off for another trial this weekend! Can't wait!

DenoLo

So doing Jumpers on its very own day worked out well for us! We had a really nice lead-out, and Lo was fast and into it. The judge came up to us afterwards and said we did really well, which is a huge boost for my confidence. Our very first Jumpers Q:) Now onto Snooker tomorrow.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I'm probably finally getting into a puppy class with Siri, which gets us one step closer to an agility class. That belongs in this thread, right?

Also, went to an ASCA trial today, I can't WAIT to get started with Siri so we can play too!!! :D

BostonBanker

Congratulations to Lo! Best of luck in Snooker tomorrow!

I'm probably finally getting into a puppy class with Siri, which gets us one step closer to an agility class. That belongs in this thread, right?
Totally :D I can't wait for Siri agility pictures!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yay Lo!

Our distractions class was hilarious. I had no idea what to think going into it but it involves all the class trying to distract the dogs while they're running. We ended up milling about the course, dancing (eek) around the course, having things dropped/loud noises, sitting around the course, etc. It was a lot of fun and the instructor (haven't taken from her yet) is so so good. We got a lot of good feedback and a lot of individualizing for each dog. Some new ideas to help with Summer's crate barking too.

Summer actually did really nicely with all the distractions. She wasn't running as fast as usual, I noticed. She did leave me for the people sitting on the ground. I knew she would since people are about her biggest reward ever.

The entire class is Belgians and Aussies. Then the instructors dogs- BC, and belgians. Then a girl brought her BC puppy. Did not help the herding dog want.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Izzie's doing awesome at class lately. She hates training at the barn as its deep dirt that tends to stick to her paws (itty bitty paws sink down in it a lot more than big paws) so I'm proud. She's nailing her weaves no problem and our handling is really growing together well. She's a good little girly and I'm glad I toughed it out with her.

AND only 3 more barn weeks until we're back outside!!!

Here's a photo of after class Izzie.

Sekah

The Monster.
I had my first agility class since the summer last night. Coming off a 6+ month spell of no classes was, as expected, a little painful. But also a really nice relief. It's nice to get out there to run with your dog a bit.

Things that Cohen has decided over our period of absenteeism:

- The 11th and 12th weave poles are almost entirely optional
- It's faster to jump through jumps, not over them (thanks flyball!)

Things that pleasantly surprised me:

- Her directionals are actually coming along pretty well.
- Her speed and forward focus have improved greatly (thanks flyball!)
- I was actually able to incorporate a toy as a reward (more as a bridge than an actual reward, but I'll take what I can get!)

My new instructor says that she's going to focus on me running a bit straighter and smoother. Apparently I step into Cohen's path a lot over the course. I don't know if it's because I feel like I constantly need to flag her down, if I have terrible balance, or if it's a vestigial handling quirk I picked up somewhere along the way.

I'd been holding off on using this new instructor since she teaches Mecklenberg and up until now I'd been taught Derrett, but the facility I was using previously just wasn't up to snuff (slick floors, small space). I think I'm going to just try to go with the flow since I'm still so new to everything and see how the new system works with Cohen.

Anyways, that's my first class round up! Looking forward to getting back into agility over the summer!

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I'd been holding off on using this new instructor since she teaches Mecklenberg and up until now I'd been taught Derrett, but the facility I was using previously just wasn't up to snuff (slick floors, small space). I think I'm going to just try to go with the flow since I'm still so new to everything and see how the new system works with Cohen.

Anyways, that's my first class round up! Looking forward to getting back into agility over the summer!
My advice is try not to get too hung up on "systems". Do what works for you and your dog and what gets the best out of you guys as a team. If you mix systems or make up your own the agility gods won't strike you down, I promise.

Learn what handling works for you and how to read and walk a course and plan your path and you'll do great and won't have the stress of "Zomg must follow the SYSTEM!"

DJEtzel

Recon has class tonight and I'm looking forward to it. He did great last week. And we are already planning dates for his first trial. XD

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
We start foundations with B tonight. :)
:banana::banana::banana:

Everybody cross your fingers that there is an opening in the Puppy Agility class I want to take. She has to be younger than 5 months before the start date of the class. It's a class that is ongoing, so there only comes an opening if someone drops it. We have less than a month to get in. :( Stress!

Nice thing though is if she gets in, she is in until she gets kicked out by the instructor to do foundations. All the other classes in the area have a 4-6 week long Puppy Agility class and then we are stuck with like...obedience until she can do foundations. Lamesauce.

Members online

No members online now.