Childhood Dogs

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
http://www.chazhound.com/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=8345&ppuser=2623

PIcky was my heart. She would be so upset if anyone even play acted like the were going to hit me. She slept on my pillow in my arms from 5 up. My mom would say no dogs on the bed, and before that door was shut, she was up and under the blanket.
She rode my pony with me, her paws braced against the saddle and he back wedged into me.
She hid tissues like they were treasures and you would upset her to no end if you said you knew where the were.
We played hide and seek in the basement, and in the woods.

Dinky, ran so fast after my bike only his front feet would be on the ground going down hill. Busted me out of school by barking outside my classroom window. Shared 19 years of adventures, mostly on his own terms. My Father couldn't stand him. Tried to get rid of the st benard puppy by leading him off. Was given away once, the only time he bit, and was returned to my great relief. He chose us, no matter how much my family tried to shoo him away from the driveway. He came back, because he knew he would be my dog.

IN those days you didn't have a leash they followed you were ever you went and if you went into play in some one's house, they sat outside and waited. No matter how long.

PIcky would drag my clothes and sit with them by the front door when I was gone, and would not eat.

I lost her when I was 15 and never found her or what happened to her and it sill guts me.

Dinky had a great life and a good death (pts) at an old age.

joce

My parents had labs before I was born. Old Pictures of me are with lab puppies swarming over me. Daisy and zeb died when I was young and I really don't remember them. My parents kept a male pup agar and got a pup returned we ended up keeping,abbey. Abbey was my dog. Those dogs put up with so much and I loved her like crazy. Still remember comi g home and learning she had died. I still cry now thinking back about these wonderful dogs Ive loved. I am not sure we even had a leash for them! They used to go to the apartments down the street and play with the kids there. That would never happen now but back then its now it was.

My dad just got another dog and its probably been fifteen years since they passed.

We got ginger and smiley after tr labs both passed. They were beagle terrier mixes from the pound. Smiley got put down young from urinary issues. Ginger died a couple years ago and I swear she was my abbey all ove again. That dog would do anything for me.

We had a couple strays that wandered in and out. Stooley was a golden mix. Penny was a shar pei mix.

My dobe Byron was a teenage dog. Still so sad he is gone. Again a great dog and I am so lucky to have had them all. Tawny our husky died a couple years ago but she was never mine. She only had eyes for my brother. And gizzy our corgi is still going and is fifteen now. Never really bonded with her but she is still a good dog.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
When I moved in my grandparents at two, they had Sam and Jenny, Lhasa Apsos. I don't remember Jenny very well, but I remember Sam, and I used to sneak out of my room to sleep with him outside.

When I was 5 or 6, my dad got me a 4 month old JRT named Sparky. I loved that dog to death, but they gave him away because they couldn't handle him, which broke my heart.

My only picture of Sparky. It's him and me visiting my great grandma at the nursing home.

A while later, my mom and her boyfriend got me Harley, a rottweiler. He was physically way, way out of standard, but everything a good rottie should be in temperament. He lived out a full life and was PTS when I was about 16.
My boy in his prime:

From our last photo session:

And Rosie, a rottie who was older than Harley but joined the family later when her owner moved. I got a lot of comments about how funny looking she was, and she really was oddly shaped, lol. Rosie was an absolute sweetheart, though, a little neurotic and strong-willed.

I don't have pictures of Slayer or Rowdy, the other rottweilers we had with us.

Mandy came into my life when I was about 10 years old. I hardly ever talk about her simply because her story is surrounded by tragedy and pain.
Here she is, though. She is Millie's mom.

Mandy came to us after being dumped, which was a common thing when this place was less populated. My mom did not want a dog, but I sneaked behind her back and gained Mandy's trust. (She was very fearful to the point of aggression.) I thought for sure I would be allowed to keep her if I got her in the yard, and after a week or two of trying, I finally got her to follow me in. Instead of letting me keep her, my mom called AC. Thank dog they went to the wrong house and both of us thanked our lucky stars, because my mom didn't know how AC operated and had no idea what could have happened to a fear aggressive dog like Mandy. After watching us sit on the stairs side by side sharing a sandwich, followed by life being put into perspective by 9/11, I was allowed to keep my special girl.
Long story short, very soon Mandy had six puppies, and I had a favorite from the day they were born. (Guess who?)
Millie was born, and when she was a few months old, Mandy died. I still have Mandy's collar hanging in my room.

So. . .Millie is also my childhood dog. To me (as ridiculous as it may sound to many of you) she was Mandy's gift before she had to leave us. She's been by my side for 12 years now, and I couldn't ask for anything more. She's my best friend.

[Sorry some of the pics of lousy. Some of them are photos of scratched up film photos. Oh, and the dogs overlap because I moved around a lot.]

I had three: Nina (1995-1996), Nala (1996-2008), Chance (1998-2000) and Chevy (2003-2011

Nina: A B&W female Husky I picked out form the shelter when I was 5 (not a very good idea). She was in the run with a "wolf dog" who ended up attacking the man who adopted him. For some reason I begged my mom for him (all I can remember is a big fluffy dog, I guess I thought he was "cool" looking) and luckily my parents said no. Nina was in no way appropriate for a family with a young child and very little dog experience (outside of army sentry dogs). She ate trash, dog holes, ate rat bait that ended up in our yard and almost died. After she bit me in the face (didn't draw blood), my mom took her to a Husky rescue.

Nala: After my mom took Nina to the rescue, she feel in love with a little puppy in a pet shop window. She was listed as a pekinese mix, but I don't know how accurate that was. She was super smart and was house trained within a matter of days. She loved to eat crayons and play tug of war with a banna peel I held in my mouth, no idea why I did that. When she got older she would pretend to maul stuffed animals we "attacked" her with, even ones big enough to crush her with. Once when we where late coming home, she pooped the length of our hallway (this was an under 10lb dog). She was euthanized because of aggressive lymphoma.
[/URL][/IMG]

Chance: A red Chow X my dad got for free from a coworker. He peed on a footstool multiple times, at a corner of the living room wall, killed a feral cat and became to possessive of me. My dad ended up giving him to a soldier at a nearby army base.

Chevy: A Chocolate Lab X Dobe (we think) I got free from the newspaper at age 14, not sure how old she was. She was a super sweet dog that had had a rough life pryer to us getting her. She was a gift to a girl from her boyfriend, when they broke up the girl dumped her in the backyard and forgot about her. She came to us underweight and covered in ticks. She loved to sleep in closets and ran along beside my bike for a few years. When she was shedding the chickens would chase her around the yard attempting to peck off her loose fur and fleas. In her last years she had skin issues so bad she went almost bald, was arthritic, senile and started going blind. After she developed diabetes we decided to let her go. We think she was over 10.
[/URL][/IMG]

My childhood dog was a springer spaniel named Lacey and we literally grew up together. We got her as a puppy when I was a year old and she passed away at 15. She was a great dog to have as a kid. She was very tolerant of everything my brother and I put her through and she was up for any game we wanted to play. She was such a sweet dog and I'll always miss her.

This picture was taken just a couple weeks before she passed away.

mrose_s

BusterLove
When I was born we had an old Staffy/ACD (Jack) and BC/Stumpy Tail (Tussy)
When I was 2 we got a Boxer/Bull Terrier (Martha) and we learned to brace ourselves on our feet or get knocked over by the tail.

By the time I was 7, all these dogs had passed on and we got a Bull Arab X (Sophie) bitch. She's was a saint.
And a MalteseX (Daisy)... she was naughty.

We still had Sophie and Daisy when I originally joined Chaz, but both have passed on now.

Quinn was the first dog of an actual breed that my family has had since my mother was young. And even she's not papered.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Before my current dogs, I had two others.

Max the Springer Spaniel was given to my parents when he was around 8 or 9, he was awesome. Waited faithfully at the bottom of the hill for my brother and I to get off the bus every day. He was put down for old agey things when I was 5 or 6. My first dog.

Lucky was adopted from a rescue when she was around a year old, shortly after Max passed away. She was a border collie mix thing? Pretty dog aggressive, honestly a horrible choice for our family, but I LOVED her and she adored me with everything she had. She darted out the door after something, it was dark, she ended up getting hit by a car. We only had her for about a year.

I enjoyed this thread and seeing all the pictures. My first dog was a female Chow named Saykeo, I got her when I was 12 and she passed on in my mid 20s.

DJEtzel

I don't have many pictures accessible any longer. :(

As early as I can remember, my parents had Ford, a black chow chow, and Killer, a black American pit bull terrier. They were both awesome dogs and props to them for not biting me. My parents were not dog responsible by any means... I have seen pictures of me sitting on Killer, with a plastic fireman's hat on both of our heads. Inappropriate as hell, but that dog didn't care and I loved him. Ford wasn't much for affection and was usually outside.

OF COURSE the story isn't complete if my parents didn't breed the two together!

After 4 litters, they stopped breeding and kept "LK" - "little killer" who I had through all of my childhood and through high school. He died last year at the ripe old age of 16 years. Intact all of his life and healthy as a horse despite eating purina dog chow. He was the best dog ever.

Ford hated being inside and despite having adequate shade/shelter and water, died of a heat stroke when I was about 5. Killer was somewhere around 12 when I was in second grade (7yrs) and was having cluster seizures and had to be euthanized.

I got Kit "kitten" when I was about 11... She grew up with typically dog aggressive LK and they were best friends. She was the first dog I trained as I was very into dogs back then, and I took her everywhere with me. Only beagle I will probably ever meet that was reliable off leash - she'd do anything for me, including stop a rabbit chase!

Unfortunately, I moved to school and tried bringing her with me, but she had terrible anxiety and LK stopped eating at my parent's house, so I took her back where she was most comfortable. At 8 years old (according to my mom's dates on the picture... I thought she was many years younger. :p) she went into acute kidney failure for no apparent reason and died at the vet clinic before I could get down there to euthanize her. She helped me through a lot of those rough years and I will never forget the bond I had with that dog.

Elrohwen

I found some picture of my childhood dogs!

This is my girl, Cindy. She was the best dog ever. I love how we left their ears long.

And this is my mom's dog, Dusty:

crazedACD

My first dog Missy! She passed on when I was 7/8 or so.

From there we got Baxter..I was 12ish when a gate was left open and he was hit by a car. I logged many hours teaching him to jump through a hula hoop and traipse around the streets walking him.

The best dog ever, Sam. Got him shortly after Baxter passed...he was such a 'constant' in my life, and I have a hard time mentioning him even now. It's like death is way too undignified for him. I spent hours and hours out on hiking trails with him and Casey.

Casey, we got roughly at the same we got Sam. We let her go recently, in 2012. She was the dog that got me into more dog training, the obedience/competitive side.

And Boomer I got in my sophomore year of high school. Obviously, his passing was very recent :(.

AmberD

I had cats for most of my childhood, and my heart and soul belonged to a cat who slept with me in my crib.

I was obsessed with dogs because I didn't have one; when we visited anyone who had a dog, the humans got almost none of my attention, because I was just fixated on their dog. My dad didn't want a dog, but we finally ended up with one when I was in 5th grade. He was a black Lab, and I threw myself into training him (via a book) and taking care of him as best a 5th grader can do (didn't have internet yet). Nice dog. Very... doggy. I thought that was great...

But then a few years later, my dad lost again when he decided we needed to save the chow mix from down the road, and I discovered the glory that is a cat-like dog. Sasha was my heart dog, and I only lost her a few years ago. I was utterly enamored with her reserve, and her tendency to quietly lean against you when she wanted to bestow you with her love, instead of getting in your face and bestowing hot, gross breath as many dogs tend to do. She for sure had some issues that we didn't know how to fix, but she was perfect and the dog against whom I judge all others lol.

Members online

No members online now.