Can you leave your dog out loose while you are gone?

Both are fine left loose, together. I just pick up the garbage and close my brothers doors (they are slobs and leave to much tempting stuff out). Nothing gets by solos nose lol.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
Suzie: Yes

Jack: Yes

They are both left out, and we let them stay together. We just make sure that there aren't any bones around for them to fight over. And I don't really let Jack in my room when i'm not there because he has this weird thing that he thinks everything in my room is awesome to chew.

Remmy is always crated when I go out as he and Monty are both intact and seem to get along fine but don't want to chance it and he loves his crate. Monty and Kiska are always loose and never get into anything. Lucy is crated as she bugs Kiska. Susie is left outside and Kris is crated as she is just 6 months old so it will be a while before I trust her loose. She is left outside if I go out during the day as she is crated at night.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Xena gets full run of the house at all times. She doesn't chew things that aren't hers and she doesn't mess in the house. She is sequestered sometimes when we have food delivered or something, but really, she goes to her crate on her own in those situations.

Gypsydals

Peewee yes. He's never been crated. Although with old age sneaking up on him, hes started some annoying habits and if I could get him in a crate, he would be.
Ivan NO. And probably never will be loose. I have on occasion let him sleep loose with me in the bedroom. But I have to make sure that I have a note on the door letting the husband know hes in there. Other wise Ivan would go in guard mode and he usually reacts before thinking.
But the whole house? NO he counter surfs, trash picks and in general finds stuff to get into.

Yes to some extent. I'd never leave them alone for the simple fact that I never want to risk a fight when I'm not there. However, they're all pretty much ok.

Emily - YES! 100% yes! She's never crated.

Bayleigh - Ok for short periods of time but she cannot truly be trusted. She's peed on the couch and bed before.

Pirate - Again, for short time periods but not long term. He will chew things up and potty in the house.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Yes for both. Beezer will get into anything that has food in it so I have to make sure everything is put up but other than that... they have free roam of the house when we aren't here. I use the term Roam loosely because I'm pretty sure Belle doesn't leave the couch the entire time. She's on it before we leave and comes strolling to the stairs yawning and stretching when we get home lol.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Accidentally left the house for about 1/2 hour with Lincoln and came home to a loose Charlie. Thread has somewhat inspired me to see if the dogs would be okay to be left loose again...

Avril, Jessie, and Moxie are all ok loose. We can't have dishes in the sink though because Avril will grab them out. She likes to make sure the cups are clean. :p Both Adele and Carly chew up anything and everything so they have to be crated.

If they are left alone for more than an hour Avril gets locked in my room and Jessie and Moxie get locked in my moms room. We don't lock our front door so I am super paranoid about the door some how not shutting all the way or someone opening it. I also have this weird theory that if someone decided to rob our house while we were gone and there were loose dogs they would injure them, but if they heard barking dogs in a room they would leave them alone/avoid that room. Not sure if that would be accurate or not, but it's just my thought process.

Lyzelle

Zander has been loose to roam for most of his life. And in larger houses he is just fine. Often times didn't matter if I put him in a room because he can open doors.

In this apartment, though, there is so little space that there isn't a "no Zane" space. And it is just easier to have him out of the way when we come in. So he is kenneled now.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Yes, Morgan is left loose (indoors) when we are out of the house. That said, we have to do a quick pick-up routine every time we prepare to leave. There are a few specific items that he. CANNOT. resist if they are within reach. (Mostly laundry.)

Kootenay

Jasper has always been left loose, he never destroyed anything (I swear he was never a puppy...).

Yarrow needs to be crated, although he has gotten out of his crate a few times and he hasn't gotten into anything. As long as he's well exercised, I think he would be fine for shorter periods.

Onyx of course is crated, being a puppy and all.

None of them really get left alone very often though.

RottenFlower

rotties are my kryptonite
More north of south, but more south of north.
StiXxX, Nat + Zellie haven't been crated in years.

Kaia + Gunnar are crated, and will be for the foreseeable future. Kaia would probably do okay, actually, but Gunnar has proven himself untrustworthy by chewing up a hat, a pair of shoes, a pair of sunglasses, a TV remote, a Wiimote, a cordless phone, a maglite flashlight and some paper. Oh, and PoopALooza a couple of weeks ago, when he broke through his kennel and shat all over my house. :)

Saeleofu

Lately, yes. They're in my room, since my parents' animals are in the rest of the house, but they're as loose as they can get. Occasionally I'll crate one or the other. If I'm taking one of the dogs, the other is always loose. I don't even have two crates available right now (FINALLY!). I have a second crate stacked on top of my large crate, but it's small, unstable, and Gwyneth's enclosure is in it. I should just put it in the basement for storms.

Danefied

Now yes. When Biko was still alive we had to keep him separate, just because I was afraid he'd get trampled or hurt and trigger someone's prey drive.

I feel very fortunate in that all 3 can be loose together no worries. If Bates & Lunar did get in to it (which they haven't in years), they're typical boys in that they'll stop on their own. They're also very typical boys in that they won't argue with Breez.

Of course, Bates and Breez periodically make some uh... fun... decisions together. Only my dogs will leave the trash alone but spread the plastics recycling bin all around the house. Or leave the block of cheese on the counter alone but shred the brand new, still in the plastic $35 air filters. :rolleyes:

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Millie, absolutely. She's only been in a crate once in her life, and that was just a five second experiment to see how willing she'd be to go in one. She has full run of the house.

Fable. . .no, no, no. I don't even trust her to be in a different room than me (for example if I go into the bedroom I won't leave her in the living room for even a minute). I hope one day she'll be able to chill in the house when I'm gone, but that day is definitely not now, plus I would not leave Millie and Fable alone together.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Lol I thought you meant loose outside at first... that would be sketchy. 0_o

Both of mine have been trustworthy inside since around 6 months old. Fozzie will not do anything while I'm gone, except nap on my bed, I've seen it for myself on webcam! Gonzo will occasionally get into trash/diapers/food if it's left on or around the floor, but that's my fault.

I almost forgot how mischievous puppies are. NOT looking forward to that!

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Ozzy and Enzo have free roam of the house except for our bedroom, all the time. I don't have to worry (usually) about either one of them.

If I take both the girls somewhere though, Ozzy is locked up. He can get p*ssed off or maybe has some SA from the girls or something, because the one time we left him alone he did a bunch of bad things he hasn't done since puppy hood.

Jones, no. He'd probably be fine, but if he has to go, he has to GO, and if he's crated he'll hold it, but loose he's going to pee in front of the door. :p

Indy is a counter surfering, garbage can opening, table checking out, levitating meerkat, so she's crated if she's not with me. During the day, they can all be loose in the house while we're home, but if we're gone, or at night Indy and Jones are crated unless Indy's in the bed with me.

Members online

No members online now.