holistic or not holistic?

*Amy*

I haven't been on chaz in a while, but I'm back! :)

Carlie and Vixie are doing well. I found a holistic vet today that I'm switching to as long as the appointment Carlie has for tomorrow goes well.

They do 3 year shots and despite the fact that my last vet in Orlando believed Carlie is due for another parvovirus vaccine now (even though she received her DHLPP including parvo in August 2007 and received another parvovirus booster in February 2008), their receptionist said she definitely doesn't need a parvo vaccine for a while. She said they'll look at Carlie's records and see what she needs done. The thing I'm worried about is I asked about the 3-year vaccines and she said they have an ingredient in them that make them last longer than the normal one year vaccines. So that makes it sound like they think that only their 3 year shot lasts 3 years. I just hope the visit goes well and they aren't like all the other vets I've been to and want to give Carlie all these vaccines tomorrow since her last shots were in August of 2007. I'm so sick of vets who think shots only last a year unless they're made specially to last 3.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions about this? Do they sound intelligent and like a holistic vet office should sound? I feel like I don't really know what I'm doing.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I'd worry about any holistic vet that still deems it necessary to provide boosters every year or every three years, but that is only my opinion and I feel very strongly about not re-vaccinating my dogs as suggested by most vets.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
The vet that gave the seminar i attended said that they no longer believe in routine vaccines that they believed they could do more harm then good.

*Amy*

I'd worry about any holistic vet that still deems it necessary to provide boosters every year or every three years, but that is only my opinion and I feel very strongly about not re-vaccinating my dogs as suggested by most vets.
Well, I don't feel sure that my dogs never need to be vaccinated again, but I do think it doesn't need to be done every year. Each dog has a different immune system and I don't want to risk my dog getting parvo or something else because I didn't re-vaccinate her at all.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Then I suggest titers.

Either way there is no guarantee that, for example purposes, your dog will not get parvo. There are far too many strains of it to even begin to vaccinate for them all. So if your vet ever tells you something like, "of course fido can't get parvo" he's lying.

I'd worry about any holistic vet that still deems it necessary to provide boosters every year or every three years
I'd be reluctant to use this vet if they are claiming to be holistic and then rattle off stuff about 3 year vaccines. Holistic vets will vaccinate young animals and then do titers (and only vaccinate rabies because it's the law).

Personally I use a holistic vet, and even when I worked at regular veterinary hospitals I would forgo the fabulous discounts and use my holistic vet. That's just the way I roll with my animals!

I would ask this vet what her credentials are that make her holistic. And which holistic remedies does she use (and has she actually been trained in how to use them, or is she self taught)? Holistic is a generic term for anything that is not Western/Allopathic medicine and thus holistic vets can be VERY different from one another.

*Amy*

What are titers?

I actually found a different vet now who specializes (and is certified) in acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine. The receptionist said I can speak with him on when and how I want my dogs vaccined. She definitely said the rabies must be done yearly (or the 3-year), but the others can be spread out or something. I'll ask about titers.

This vet actually recommends good food! They sell Innova and also recommend raw diets. They don't call themselves holistic, but they're definitely a huge step up from my last vet and I'm excited. :D

Members online

No members online now.