$300 for...

ohmai

a vet visit today
I brought Eikon in because recently he's been really going at his paw; licking and chewing his right hind paw. Found out he had some cut there, and an infected area on his paw too. So the vet said he'd need to sedate him and gas him for surgery. He said he was going to shave off something, stitch him up and clean the infection and provide me with antibiotics too.

So in the end, the bill rang up to $300 CDN, including one change of bandaids.
Is this an average price? Because it seems so high for this situation (to me anyways).

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Why would he need to do surgery for a cut? That is strange to me but the price sounds about right for the work that was done.

ohmai

Well he showed me the cut, and it was quite bad. It required stitches to close it up, and there was smaller scratches around his paw and an infected area. Why he needs surgery I'm not sure. I just remember him saying he was going to 'shave it off'.

otch1

Hello Ohmai... unfortunately, unless you have a vet who gives you discounts for multiple dogs, as is the case for me, that price is close to what vets in my area charge. You probably had a bad cut/tear, with neucrotic tissue because you let it go. A vet charges $25.00 office call, $10.00 pre-anesthesia and $50 for "gas", as you put it. $80.00 for 20 to 30 minutes of his surgery time to go in and cut out all of the dead tissue, roughing up the edges of wound so he has fresh, clean tissue to stitch back together. $20.00 for suture and bandage material. An antibiotic injection in the clinic at $10.00 and $20 to $30.00 for antibiotics in pill form, sent home with you. Dependant on what he gave you, Cephalexin at $25.00 or something like Clavamox at $60.00! Check your prescription and see what your antibiotic is. That's approx. $270. with tax., right there. Check the itemized receipt you would have been given when you picked your dog up and compare to these prices. Curious to see where your prices might differ. Where's doberkim when you need her?!

ohmai

Just picked him up. The receipt's like this.

$20 for consultation/examination.
$36 for 2 injections (?)
$22.50 for sedation
$45 for isoflurane inhalation
$45 for local anesthesia
$105 for surgical fee + equipment
$29 for the antibiotic (amoxi-clav).

and $15 fee for bandaid changing.

which is 318 total.
Pretty big dent in a student's wallet... but well worth it to see him better soon!

otch1

You have an extra $45.00 for anesthesia that my vet would not have used/charged. He is very quick and likes to keep them under as little time as possible. This is done at each vets discreation. Sounds like your dog is feeling better though and that's what counts! Have a nice evening.

Members online