AKC Registration and Coat changes

darkchild16

We are Home.
We are going back and forth on when to register Krypto. Our biggest concern is his coat changing. He will never be confo showed as he does fit the current style. He was solid black when he came home and around 9 wks started changing colors. What happens if we register him and he has a drastic coat change? Hes a GSD.
Coat now

8 wks

Last edited:
I can't tell from the pictures if he's sable or some sort of black and tan, but he's definitely not a solid black.

ETA: I checked the other thread you have. He looks sable to me.

darkchild16

We are Home.
Yeah hes not solid anymore lol. Hes got those streaks of light tan and a white patch area on his chest. His daddy was a sable and mom was a solid black. When should his coat be done changing? Daddy apparently was as dark as he was at first.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer is registered under the wrong coat color with the AKC. I don't do any AKC with her but I don't think it's a huge problem? Though Summer does look like the color she's registered as until you look really close. She's registered as a red and white instead of a sable (she's sable, just really light).

darkchild16

We are Home.
So we wouldnt run into any issues if we decide to breed him in the future? Highly doubt but the option will be there with his breeder if he grows out right.

He's sable. What issues would you run into? AKC hardly regulates breeding practices at all.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Registration just means you can show/trial in AKC. Full registration allows any future puppies to be registered with AKC if the other parent is as well, Limited just means you can show/trial but can't register offspring, PAL registration means you can show/trial but the dog must be altered. It doesn't really mean much other than that, so I'm not sure why one would wait or not wait.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Like stardogs said, AKC reg has nothing to do with anything except saying he is this breed from these parents. It only tracks pedigrees, has nothing to do with how a dog fits a standard.

If you wait it will actually be more expensive. The more time goes by from birth, the rate to register goes up. So there's no reason to wait unless you like spending more money for no good reason...

darkchild16

We are Home.
Ours said the same price for.the first year. I just wanted to make sure its not going to mess up anything litter registration wise if we do end up letting the breeder use him in the future. Ive never had a breed that changed so much that could be registered so this is all new.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
If the breeder intends to potentially use him in the future, the breeder should be a LOT more involved with you filling out his registration papers...

Grab

If the breeder intends to potentially use him in the future, the breeder should be a LOT more involved with you filling out his registration papers...
This. That said, I don't know a ton of breeders who place puppies in non performance/show/something homes with full registration options. But, I have different breeds

darkchild16

We are Home.
She told us what to do with it but then his coat has changed and Morgan wants to do it today. :rolleyes: Shes out of town so I didnt want to bug her about the coat options unless I had to. She likes him for his temperment and continuing his lines. She breeds towards therapy and service dogs some litters and thats her thought with him since thats his work. He was the best all around male in the litter and is continuing to stay that way in her opinion. By the time we are allowed to neuter him we will know for sure what she wants to do or what we want to do but thats almost 2 years away.

Grab

I don't know what colors are listed on GSD registration papers, but he's a sable. Which, even if he darkens or lightens, as the case may be, should stay the same as far as I know :)

In Chows, for example, red, black, cinnamon, cream and blue are the colors. Red can vary from very light to very dark. But it's still listed as a red

Members online

No members online now.