Need to put weight on Dekka

Dekka

Just try me..
Dekka has had a stressful few weeks and has dropped weight. She looks healthy, but thin. Her attitude is bright and her energy level is excellent for a dog approaching 10. Her apatite is also excellent.

I am looking for suggestions on how to help her gain weight.

The caveats: I can't feed her more kibble easily. More than her usual 1/3 of a cup at once at she throws it all up. (she has done this her whole life) So right know she is getting two meals of GO 2 day.

The doesn't do grains or carbs well. Tends to make her a disgusting vomit/re-eat perpetual motion machine. She can handle small amounts of carbs.

Until I get an apt sized chest freezer raw in any quantity is out. (she can eat all the nasty animal parts and never throw up)

Help?

Dekka

Just try me..
I am feeding her a 3rd meal when I can. She comes to work with me on Sat. So she had a nice lunch lol and finished off my spaghetti sauce.

She gets fish oil every morning. Too much oil and ...ew lol.

Brattina88

I made grain free satin balls for Maddie and froze them. I got the recipe off here from beanie (I believe). Messy to make, but she liked them and it worked like a charm.

Ever tried a raw egg with the kibble?

Dekka

Just try me..
Dekka isn't a fan of raw egg on its own. Grain free satin balls sound interesting. All the recipes I saw had wheat germ and chex in them!

Dekka

Just try me..
I am putting her back on orijin which is the highest I can find and little higher than what she has now. Not sure if it will make enough of a difference.

elegy

overdogged
*nod* that's what I just put Bean on. He is so skinny (but healthy! but a stupid intact male!) and I'm hoping it will help. We shall see.

xpaeanx

Nothing to add that hasn't been covered, but wanted to say I hope with the less stress at home and added calories she reaches her goal weight quickly!

Native Performance makes some pretty calorie dense foods. They do have grains in them, but less grains the more you go up their "Levels" (go to their website to see what I mean). You could mix it in with what you're feeding now to dilute out the grains.

Also... satin balls. Or sardines. If she doesn't like raw eggs, what about scrambled egg yolks?

Brattina88

Found it

There's grain free versions as well, here's one:

1lb ground beef
2-3 eggs with shells
1 pint cottage cheese (full fat)
1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons fish oil/coconut oil/EVOO
2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons raw honey
I used this with Maddie and it worked. She didn't have the runs either which is what I was afraid of lol. I made big-meatball sized portions and gave her 1-2 day after she ate her meals and digested.

Dekka

Just try me..
Found it

I used this with Maddie and it worked. She didn't have the runs either which is what I was afraid of lol. I made big-meatball sized portions and gave her 1-2 day after she ate her meals and digested.
Thank you! I have most of those things even

Dekka

Just try me..
So weight is going on my dog. I am feeding her bits of all the things. Lots of ground beef, canned food and carbs as much as she can handle.

Now that she is an only dog she is far pickier and will leave her food. So it turns out my dog only eats everything so the other dog can't have it. Its not that she wants it, its that she's a jerk. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.