Tell me about Houla-dogs

AkeetaWB

I got my first Catahoula puppy this past March, after waiting for a few litters from the breeder to get what I really wanted (breeder only has one litter a year, if that). She is from working lines, and both of her parents are used for hunting and on cattle.

She is hands down the goofiest dog I have ever met. She loves to play and roughhouse. She is wickedly smart, not very biddable but very smart! We only have to do things with her 2-3 times and she's got it down pat.

Our other dog is a female aussie/heeler mix who is much more timid with people, but much more protective, and can have a snarky streak in her with strange dogs. The catahooligan has never met a stranger, although she gets rather obnoxious when she wants to play if the other dog is not reciprocating.

She is definitely NOT quiet. She snores, although it's decreasing as she gets older, she talks and she barks at "intruders", but as soon as they come in the house or she gets to go say hi in the yard, they are immediately her new bffs.

ETA: We live on a farm so she gets to do lots of running around and playing with the other dog, so she mostly sleeps when she is in the house. Usually intrusively on my lap, stretched out all over me. She is definitely a big cuddle bug!

Members online

No members online now.