Verus

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Hmm, we did probiotics before, but it was while he still had clostridium... so I'm not sure if we would have a different reaction now!
I am super thrilled though that he is doing great on the Verus, and while I can't find my scale to weigh him, I can tell by putting my hands on him that he HAS in fact gained weight! His waist is not quite as teeny and there's a bit of padding over his ribs now. He looks a bit different to me even without putting my hands on him, though it's really by touching him that I can tell he has finally put some fat on. Now I just need to figure out the right amount to feed him to keep him steady. I really need to find my scale, or find a Sugar Daddy to order me a vet scale. =P

I keep telling my mom "Feel that puppy!! Feel how much weight he's put on! He's not all skin and bones anymore!!" and she's like "Uh... okay... I guess..?" LOL.

Do any of you food store folks carry Verus?

http://www.veruspetfoods.com/

Auggie's breeder's husband and I have had multiple discussions about Payton's inability to gain weight without getting the runs and switching to Verus came up, because it's a far more simple formula and it also happens to be higher calorie per cup, so we're not sure if that might work. He kicked all the P&G foods out of his store so he was glad to get this in more or less to replace Cali Naturals, which I LOVED Cali Naturals for the KISS ingredient list... so I'm really tempted to switch all my guys to it. It's not grain free but I don't think Pay has an issue with grains (he was on a grain-inclusive food at his breeder's but on TOTW ever since coming home with me); Pepper only has an issue with corn and Auggie has no grain problems so I think we would be okay...

Anybody have input on Verus as a brand? It's a small company - the sample bags are clear poly bags with a simple printed sticker on it - so I'm not sure if they're in any of the places you guys are in...
Hello Beanie,
Just curious, why would anyone feed their cats/dogs VéRUS kibble products?
Their kibble contains huge amounts of grains & starches with very, very minimal meat, using cheap grains instead of much more expensive meat as a protein source.

The following dog formulas contain only one meat source and three of the first four ingredients are either grains or starches!:
VéRUS Adult Maintenance Lamb Meal, Oats And Brown Rice
VéRUS Advanced Opticoat Menhaden Fish Meal And Potato
VéRUS Adult Maintenance Lamb Meal, Oats And Brown Rice

Even worse, the VéRUS Weight Management Brown Rice, Lamb Meal And Oats Formula has only one meat source with four of the first five ingredients being grains, including the first two... not good...

With the huge amounts of grains and starches (sugar) in their kibble products, it’s only a matter of time before dogs have some potentially very serious health problems.

Dogs have zero need for carbohydrates but kibble must have some starch to use as a binder.
Good grain-free kibble has about 25% carbs, none from grains.
VéRUS gets almost all of their carbs from grains (which must be avoided) and it looks like their kibble is at least 45% carbohydrates!
If feeding VéRUS, make sure it’s the canned, grain free (canned is much better for the health of cats/dogs because of the high moisture content).

VéRUS cat kibble is really bad, I’ll comment on it in RedHotDobe’s post, who’s using it.

The VéRUS motto is “All natural, holistic pet foods... too bad there’s still no regulations on what that really means...
Best regards,
Roger Biduk

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Hello Roger,
Just curious, but why should I give a **** what you have to say?

Cheers,
Beanie

Kibble is dangerous for cats and this is not a good one

Are you looking for samples, or just input on the food itself? The cats are going through a bag of it right now. Rumor ate a bag or two when she was younger, and my old Doberman seemed to do well on it when he tried it. It's made in Maryland, so it's extremely cheap here.

Hello RedHotDobe,
I realize this is a dog forum, but I’d like to comment on VéRUS cat kibble which you mentioned you are feeding and is pretty bad stuff.

Cats must be fed either raw or a grain-free canned food diet because of the moisture content. Kibble has about 10% and raw and canned foods 75% moisture. If fed only kibble, there’s a huge chance of cats dying prematurely from kidney disease and CRF (Chronic Renal Failure), which doesn’t even exist in the wild. Cats are 600% more prone to these killers than dogs.

Plus, feline diabetes is waiting around the corner with these types of ingredients (which also doesn’t exist in the wild).
The ingredients in VéRUS cat kibble are horrible. Cats are obligate carnivores and need a grain-free, meat diet to thrive.

Here are the inappropriate ingredients in this stuff:
Ground Brown Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Oats, Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Salt.

You’ll never find these ingredients in high-quality pet foods... these ingredients are certainly not “all natural, holistic†in a cat’s natural diet... and when you see Corn Gluten Meal or any corn derivatives in pet foods, it’s time to run away.

RedHotBabe sure is a looker....
Best regards,
Roger Biduk

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Hello Roger,
So completely unable to come up with a reason I should care, huh? That's what I thought.

Cheers,
Beanie

Members online