Need input for new resource site

dog4life

Hi-

I am the proud parent of 2 small chihuahuas that were recued from the pound and a rescue group. As a lifelong dog lover I was destroyed by the loss last Mother's day of my 8 yr old chi-pom mix to an unidentifiable disorder that 2 vet hospitals could not diagnose after several weeks and $4,000. in bills. had not lost a dog to illness and never so dramatically as this painful experience.

I am planning and designing a resource site dedicated to:

1) Dog Longevity- focused on nutrition and preventative healthcare

2) Information on how to pick the perfect dog for any family...encouraging saving pets/dogs from shelter, rescue groups etc.

3) Educational material on planing for every stage of a dog's life from 1st day to senior living and how to deal with loss of a loved one

Anyway, these are my areas of interest and where I have some knowledge ....I would appreciate any input as to topics or information that anyone feels would be helpful to families and individuals as they plan for a new family member and proceed to a life of love and companionship

Thank you for taking time to read and perhaps give your thoughts

B.Jim

Hi Dog4Life, Welcome to Chazhound Dog Forums!

I would spend time on the dog selection process. Alot of peeps seem to select the wrong breed for their lifestyle and living parameters.

Chazhound

Hello and welcome, although I am sorry it is such a sad time that brings you here. I know everyone here is understanding and will have great sympathy for you as you grieve. It's hard to lose one, and it must be terribly painful to lose one after such a long fight against something that you couldn't even put a name to.

A good source of nutritional information that I've found extremely useful is www.greatdanelady.com . She's more knowledgeable about canine nutrition than anyone I've ever run across. She's also got quite an accumulation of information about diseases and disorders.

Chazhound's so right about breed selection. I'm always amazed at the meek, retiring people I've run across who've opted for an extremely dominance seeking breed, or those with a sedentary lifestyle who just "had to have that adorable Jack Russell!" Then they wonder why their dog is driving them crazy with all sorts of behavior problems. Many times people take living space into consideration, but don't stop and think about personalities and exercise needs.

Members online