Single vs. Serious Relationship Dog Numbers

Single there would be no max. I'd have already opened a rescue and would take whatever I could handle at the time. We have five now, but hubby says eventually the max will be three. He knows the rule, though. Nobody goes anywhere except the rainbow bridge when its time.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Single, max would be one dog.

I'm in a relationship and max would be 2 permanents and a foster. With the permanents with a big span, one young one and one oldie.

I might be able to handle more physically, but I can't imagine being able to spend the time with each of them that I do now with more than I have. Especially since I plan on having more terriers, and most of them you can't just take to the park and let loose.

Equinox

I am single and have never been in a relationship with a dog owner before. I think I can say that 1 or 2 dogs is my ideal. Maybe, maybe 3 dogs but the 3rd dog would probably need to be a low maintenance couch-holder-downer dog.

If I were in a relationship with another dog person, I could probably be okay with 3 dogs. Possibly 4 dogs, provided that the SO is 100% dedicated to the dogs...but 4 still sounds like it would be a crowd. 2-3 dogs is probably still my ideal, even in a relationship.

The other day I started freaking out though, when I realized there was no one I could think of who I would trust to take care of Yarrow (and who would want him) if something happened to me :( Kind of a difficult thought. I think my OH would do it, just for my sake, but he is really not a dog person, and Yarrow is higher maintenance than some. Jasper would be easy.
DIBS. No one else called it, so I'm calling it now :p Please add me to your will immediately, and Chaz can serve as witnesses.

Saeleofu

I'm single and will always be single. I think my limit is 3-4, but I prefer one or two. I have cared for a dozen at one time, so I know I CAN do it, but it's not something I'd WANT to do. The lady who owned all those dogs lives by herself and has had 6+ dogs for years and years and years.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
A relationship wouldn't affect my numbers, unless we were married. My sister was in a relationship for 7 years, and they broke up, and they sort of had "joint" dogs. Which... made things really tough. Of course, I guess that could be a problem no matter how many dogs there are- people get attached, and then who gets to keep them? Anyways- if I were married, living on the right property (lots of land, maybe some sheepies), I might have up to 6 or 7. Many more than that, and I think I'd have too many dogs to really work with individually.
Even in our marriage, though we both pitch in with all the dogs, there are definitely "my dog/future dog" and "his dog/future dog". Rider and future ACD are mine. They would go with me. As much as I LOVE Harlow, she loves her daddy, and would be happiest with him. I would hope if anything ever happened, that we could kind of share her, but if we didn't, then off she would go. And I would cry, a lot. But it would be best for her. Future Wirehaired V would definitely go with Josh, as that is going to be his dog to start with.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
I think that 3-4 would be ideal for me in life, both single and in a relationship. Right now, DH does help a bit (he's been a GREAT help with the puppies since I work too far from home to come let them out during my lunch break), but he's not really in to dog stuff so they are seen as my responsibility. Though he does love his little Bubbles :p

It also depends on future money and space/land. I can always make the time and would obviously not have more animals than I could realistically afford, but right now my little ranch house is totally at capacity.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Just figured I would add, since many people have mentioned having property allowing them to have more dogs...

While I could handle our three dogs by myself without a problem, I couldn't keep up with the land too. It really is a two-person job. Not just in terms of time (though that is true too!) but some jobs just require more hands.

I'm sure it depends on the property and what you do with it, but figured I'd throw that in.

Locke

Regardless of relationship status, I think I'd stick with either one larger dog, or two small dogs. My BF will help out here and there, but I am the main caregiver.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Just figured I would add, since many people have mentioned having property allowing them to have more dogs...

While I could handle our three dogs by myself without a problem, I couldn't keep up with the land too. It really is a two-person job. Not just in terms of time (though that is true too!) but some jobs just require more hands.

I'm sure it depends on the property and what you do with it, but figured I'd throw that in.
Oh yeah. I like that DH mows our lawn :p

I personally mean just a bit more land than my super teeny lot (6,900 sq feet including house and front yard). Would be nice to build some kennel areas so that the dogs could be outside during nice days for a bit without my worrying about a possible escape :)

Michiyo-Fir

Up to 4 by myself. Most people I've known aren't really god people. Sure they'll take the dog out for a walk sometimes but it's hit and miss and I pretty much have to keep reminding them to let the dog out, go for a walk, or do it myself.

ETA: Although 2 of us the limit is still 4. I don't feel comfortable dealing with more than 4 dogs unless I'm with someone extremely dog knowledgeable but even so, 4 is quite a handful.

Single and I have 6 and a foster. Works for me. 3 are high energy w/ 2 of them being puppies. 4 are seniors. Ideally I would like to get down to 3-4 just b/c I feel bad leaving some at home like when I went to the beach yesterday and there is a 3 dog limit per person. Having an extra person means they all can pretty much go when having this many. Plus the cost would be more affordable with less. Although I would probably end up spending the same, but I could buy more collars!

Single and I have 3 dogs and 4 cats. Honestly, that's too many for me. I can handle it no problem but I'd really prefer maybe 2 dogs and 2 cats. Keep it simple. I always wonder what it's like just to have one dog and that's it but I know that's probably never going to happen...

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I don't think a relationship would make any difference to me. I don't want dogs all over the place. Pretty sure I just don't ever want more than 3 dogs in a house.

Flyinsbt

Good point about the property, I have no aspirations to much acreage, because I couldn't care for it. I would like to have a little more than my current 5,000 sq ft urban lot. And a garage, to put kennels in, would help.

I have a friend with 7 dogs, and 3- soon to be 4- cats. And 3 chickens. Her husband doesn't do a lot of the pet care (though he is available to care for them on the rare occasions that she leaves town), but he does do a lot of the maintenance of their acreage (mostly because he likes playing with his tractor, I think), so it's a good point that the time he spends in maintaining the property does make it easier for my friend to care for their silly amount of pets. (her goal is 4 dogs. I laugh at her. That was the goal when she got the sixth dog. And the seventh.)

CaliTerp07

Legal limit here is 3 dogs, so it could never be more than that. Personally, I can't imagine ever having more than 2. I've dog sat and fostered plenty, and 2 wears me out. I honestly prefer having 1, even being married to someone who loves her to death and does half the "work".

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
When I lived in an apartment, 2 was plenty, but now with a yard, 4 is doable. It would be trickier without the OH, but still doable. Adding a 5th in a foster is hard with two, would be impossible with just one person for me.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Single me wants one dog.

Me in a relationship wants one dog.

Me in any marital state, but with a less time intensive job? 2-3+ dogs. My relationship status has nothing to do with how many dogs I can handle, it's more about how much time I have to spend at work.

Members online

No members online now.