Are you assertive?

DJEtzel

I hate confrontation, but I am confrontational and/or assertive when it needs to be done and I know I'm RIGHT.

For instance, I was at the dog park last night dock diving with a friend. A side of the dock is broke and dogs kept jumping onto the dock even though the gate was closed. There is a one dog per dock rule, and a young male golden would not leave my friend's dog alone while I was holding him, and it was to the point where a dog fight was going to start. That's not the place for two strange dogs when trying to jump. It's unsafe.

So I saw the owner on the other side of the pond, yelled to him if he could get the golden. While the golden is lunging for my friend's dog. He raises his hand to acknowledge that he sees the dog. I picked up my friend's dog to stop the barking/growling on both ends, and tell him "No, you need to come get your dog NOW, this is not acceptable." and when he got over to us he was still lollygagging around and not coming up to just grab him. I told him again, "You need to actually come grab your dog if he won't listen to you, this isn't safe and is against the rules."

It was a safety issue and I was in the right. I wasn't going to stand there and not say anything and let something happen to one/both dogs because I didn't want to speak up, ya know?

Equinox

I won't agree or get myself talked into anything I don't want to do, that's for sure. I stand my ground pretty firmly and if I need to convey something, I absolutely will. So I do consider myself assertive when I feel it's necessary or when I desire to be.

That said, I usually am really easy going with friends and don't make the effort to correct them or debate with them on issues I disagree with - I just don't care enough too. I'm lazy that way :p With strangers I am the same way, and probably to an even greater degree because my default personality when I meet someone new is "friendly and agreeable". Online I tend to voice my disagreements and opinions more often, but that's because words come more quickly to me through typing/writing, and by the time they're out I don't feel like deleting them. Also, I've trained myself to reign in on the snarkiness for years in real life, but that never translated to what I say through my keyboard. Whoops? :eek:

In real life I seem to skip right past assertively confrontational and straight to angry b*tchy, which is basically why I've worked on that a lot. I speak out more online and am not as complacent, but I have never been as awful as I can be irl.

tl;dr - I am actually a horrible person :rofl1:

mrose_s

BusterLove
I'm naturally very non-confrontational by nature but I'm learning to be assertive.
I need to practice being assertive with the dogs at work and with Quinn so I'm much better at that. And occasionally in class I need to ramp it up a bit and crack the whip a little bit.

I know eventually I want to be in some sort of management role and I need to work on this because it doesn't come naturally.

BostonBanker

Definitely non-confrontational and I have a fair bit of anxiety when I am put in a position where I do need to be assertive.

I have developed a very strong habit of using sarcasm to bring up what I feel I need to say without actually being confrontational about it. It is not my most endearing trait, but it is my default when I get anxious.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I'd say I'm pretty assertive. I don't seek out confrontation but I'm not bothered by it if it's necessary. I'm probably less assertive/opinionated on here/online than in real life.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Err yes I'd say I am LOL. I usually have no issue in approaching people or making a point.

But that doesn't make me confrontational... I don't like confrontation, I think they are two separate things entirely. I'm polite and I can be extremely skilled in being tactful. I won't make a fuss and complain unnecessarily for example (I'm English remember lol), but I'm not scared to ask for things or approach people etc... I'm kind of known to be quite confident.

But in my job I have to be. It's a requirement. I have to discuss very sensitive things with people and I have to be able to challenge people on things (major child protection issues!) in a non confrontational way. I generally call a spade a spade and I dont fluff about when doing it. But I do it in a polite, calm and honest manner (I hope, I tend to get good reactions from the families I work with even when I'm being challenging on issues) .

RD

Are you dead yet?
I'm assertive when I need to be, or have a reason to care. Otherwise, idgaf. Not shy, not meek, just honestly don't care most of the time. I leave other people alone more often than not.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Generally, no, I'm not a confrontational person. If there is something that needs to be discussed I will think about a polite way to do so, and I will approach that person when I am calm. I have a RageMonster inside, and I need to control it so that it doesn't hurt the people I care about.

However, if you threaten me or mine, you better watch yourself. I'm not usually the best at standing up for myself, because most of the time I feel it isn't worth an argument. But, for example, a person who used to work at the kennel took out a GSD who is known to bite people he doesn't know, and this person walked the GSD through the kitchen area instead of straight out the back door. There was a tech from treatment doing the meds and the GSD went straight at her and nearly bit her except that the person yanked him back just in time. I completely flipped my sh*t at this person and reamed him a new a$$hole because he should have known better than to put someone in danger like that. Yeah it wasn't really my "place" because I'm not the kennel manager, but I'm not going to be quiet when a safety issue like that comes up.

Fran27

I hate confrontation, but if I'm pissed off, well, it can get ugly :lol-sign: Typically I try to avoid talking to people unless necessary, so yeah, no very assertive.

Online, yeah, totally different matter, although I try to stay polite.

Dekka

Just try me..
I am assertive. I am confident in myself and my knowledge. If something needs done, or something needs to be said I am comfortable doing it.

I don't enjoy confrontation but I don't hide from it. One of my best friends is very good at confrontation lol.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
I'm assertive, but I am more than happy to let other people take the lead. I try to be non-confrontational as possible.

Elrohwen

It really depends. I think I just pick battles carefully. I'm more assertive when it comes to things that are rational, and non-confrontational when it's potentially emotional. Emotional confrontations make me anxious.

In much of life I'm non-confrontational. I don't like to give negative feedback or have difficult conversations with people. I will send food back, but it has to be completely wrong or just horrible - I think I've done it twice. Overall I lean towards non-confrontational and a lot of the time I just don't see the point of bringing things up or starting something. In public I like to be polite and not draw a lot of attention.

On the other hand, I can be quite assertive at work when I need to be, and I enjoy debating and arguing. If I am confident in my view or decision, and it is rationally based, I am very willing to stand up for myself.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I'm bored, sorry in advance. :eek:

I always like this topic... are you assertive, or are you non-confrontational?

I'm definitely non-confrontational, I absolutely hate having to broach touchy subjects or tell people off. I'm a manager and it is really tough for me to walk up to someone and tell them something negative. I won't send food back if it's wrong. I guess I'm very much a people pleaser and I don't like feeling like I asked a stupid question or that people are thinking badly of me. I don't think I've ever been in a screaming match with anyone, and I definitely let people take advantage of me sometimes because I don't like telling them otherwise. :p I've gotten a bit better than I used to be though.

I'm way more assertive and a little scrappy on the internet though. I guess because I have time to think over the situation and pick my words.
I am assertive as hell. Not "dominant" assertive, but I will admit to bring confrontational, I have been told that I have quite an abrasive personality to people that don't know me... and that is just fine with me.

JacksonsMom

I am extremely non-confrontational, but I greatly enjoy critical discussions of touchy issues. Only with people who can rationally do the same of course. I want to be able to ask "but why do you think that?" or question "have you thought of...?" It's why I sometimes pop into a thread and play the devil's advocate for a bit. In my opinion, there's no use in having strong opinions if you haven't thought about how to back them up or why you believe what you do.

I don't like stirring the fire with people who are unable to have a rational discussion. If someone walks away from a discussion feeling shot down or like they "won," that's not the conversation I wanted. Rather, I like discussion where people are continuously thinking critically about their beliefs.

On the flip side, I am very non-confrontational. I like to be agreeable (especially with people that I don't know well or in professional situations) and I would sooner tell a white lie than say something that I think would greatly offend someone. I never yell. When I am upset, I tend to go into shut-down mode rather than on the offensive or defensive.
This is me too. I love a good debate and don't have a problem being honest or speaking my mind, but in general? No, I am not assertive.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
It depends on what the situation is, what mood I am in, and what time of the month it is LOL. Today I feel very laid back and relaxed so I would probably be more apt to be like "not worth it." But in certain situations or on certain days, I am in NO mood for people's ****, and am very easy to set off.

Members online

No members online now.