Teddy meets a ground hog

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
yesterday after we took teddy to the beach we were going for a little walk afterward so he could dry off a little more and we happened upon a BIG fat groundhog. Well this is the first time teddy has ever seen anything like THIS lol. usually he just gets to see birds lol. so his tail goes up and his ears are perked up and he stops moving and is just staring at this groundhog.

WELL, I have him under control (so i think) so he goes to start moving towards the grounhog and his leash just decides to unlatch. WTF. We had been walking for 10 minutes lol it didn't break it just unlatch how in the hell did that happen lol well he took off after the ground hog and the ground hog took off and went down into the bushes. Once he did that Teddy stopped chasing him and wasn't dare going to stick his nose in those bushes lol. It was like all of a sudden he thought "hmm this might not be as good an idea as i thought" lol Puckstop and I were about to FREAK out and panic lol but we didn't we somehow managed to be calm and I just walked up behind teddy and pulled him away and leashed him (i made SURE it was latched this time)

That could have been WAY worse than it was but Teddy seemed to have a flash of common sense lol. He could have easily caught that ground hog before it went in the bushes too lol it wasn't nearly as fast as teddy can be lol but there was no biting on either side thank goodness.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Sounds like Teddy could have used Renee's Shiva and Kharma along. Glad Teddy was okay.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Barb04 said:
Sounds like Teddy could have used Renee's Shiva and Kharma along. Glad Teddy was okay.
haha why is that. I must have missed that story :D but yes I got a little freaked out lol but he was just being a curious puppy lol.

Julie

I am back again.
Glad Teddy had better judgement than to grab hold of that groundhog. My labs did grab one, and they let go. Groundhogs are meaner and stronger than you think, and they have big teeth.
Some dogs will kill a groundhog, but my dogs are used to retrieving waterfowl, with no teeth. And that groundhog was more than they bargined for. haha.
Julie.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
HAHA I know. lol we have two guinea pigs and i see how big THEIR teeth are. I can only imagine how big a groundhogs teeth are lol. I can't really blame him though i mean he is a lab/coonhound cross lol it is kind of his JOB to chase racoons and groundhogs and other such critters. lol I am glad there were no injuries a few jittery nerves on both accounts lol but no injuries lol

Oh, Bimmer's taught the grrrrls to catch groundhogs. He's the Master of the Hunt, lol!

Did you know groundhogs can climb trees? I had no idea until I was standing on the front porch one day and heard something crashing toward me. Here comes a great big groundhog, fleeing for his life, with Bimmer right behind him, closing fast. The groundhog went up a walnut tree, about 6 or 7 feet up the trunk. Bimmer just elevated up and pulled him down, flipped him over and quickly suffocated him. No muss, no fuss, no noise. Dinner is served.

He's taught both grrrrls to catch them too - and to eat what they kill. Kharma caught her first one when she was 5 months old. Bimmer flushed it out, and she killed it all by herself. She wasn't sure where to bite it, so she just bit it from one end to the other :rolleyes: Shiva was probably about 8 months old. I was sitting outside when she got it, and she brought it in and laid down next to me to eat it. She didn't know quite how to go about it, so she ate it head first, lol! GAG!

Bimmer had one cornered the other night. He was working on it, feinting in and out (he has no intention of getting bitten - I've quoted Muhammed Ali to him too many times, telling him he's "too pretty to bleed."). Charley let Shiva out and told her to go help. She bounced up in the air to see what was going on, then bounced right over the tires and on top of the groundhog. Game over. She and Bimmer shared the carcass. He ate first and left her half.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
lol gross. my CAT was like that. We tried to make her an indoor cat and we got her spayed and we had her declawed cause my mom babysat a bunch of little kids so we didn't want her to scratch them lol. Well she kept sneeking out the door and running outside and everytime she would get out she would always bring something back. a bird, a squirrel a rabbit whatever she could find lol. She was a fiesty one even without those front claws lol. I'm glad Teddy hasn't had that opportunity yet lol although he does show A LOT of interest in my two guinea pigs lol. but he knows if he touches those he will be in VERY BIG trouble lol. I don't know what he would do if he caught it. Half of me thinks he would do what he is born to do and kill it lol but half of me thinks he would want it to play with him lol.

Groundhogs dug under our old shop, they had an opening under the front next to the deck. They'd run under the deck and into the their hole.
Princess and I were heading outside one day and just as she stepped down off the deck, a groundhog went running from under the deck to the hole, they bumped into each other! Both were in shock, the groundhog was young, hurried into it's hole and Princess jumped back up on the deck. After that she would never step off the deck without stopping and looking down to make sure the coast was clear. I always stomped on the deck first to make sure I never met up with one!
They are cute when they are small but then they grow into big, nasty looking creatures.

Members online

No members online now.