what to do with your dog

neko12_48767

I love my dog Neko
I work from 4:00pm to 9:00pm and I was thinking what can I do to spend time with my dog. because I play with him, and train him, walk him. do you think i'm spending enough time with him. because he started to chew on thing and he looks sad.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
well does he have stuff to do when you leave (toys to play with, etc) Do you give him treats or a kong when you leave? Does he have free run of the house or is he in a room or a crate? How old? what kind of dog? how much playing and exercise does he get each day?

aurorab

Have you tried leaving treats around for him to find or kongs. They have ones that you can put peanut butter in (there is also a thread that had wonderful treats other than just PB) and other ones that you put in treats and they fall out when they play w/ them. Also try to get him out just b4 for leave, like a long walk or a really good play session, that way he may want to rest.

As long as you keep him physically and mentally stimulated throughout the day he'll be fine for those 5hrs. Maybe you could get a treat dispener ball (it's a toy that when it gets rolled around food falls out of it) and feed his evening meal in it so he's occupied for a while then when he's finally got all the kibble out he's mentally work out and ready for a nap.

neko12_48767

I love my dog Neko
he 1 year old. A lab/chow. he has the run of my room sometimes. I do have a kong, but I can put peanut butter he won't touch it. and he get bored of his kong. I have 3 bones, 5 stuffed animals. and a kong. (my bedroom is a mess because of all that stuff lol) I walk around town with him and do OB with him. can you give me idea what to do with him when i'm home. to to make him happy before I leave

bubbatd

From your profile, you're 17 ..... you said he has run of your room "sometimes"...Who else is in your household ??? When not in your room, where is he ?? We need more input to advise. You were 16 when you took on this pup. How old was he when you got him ??? Who did he bond to ??? Personally, I feel he's confused of his place in life.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
is there anyone around that can stay with the dog..while you are gone.. one year old is pretty much a puppy. if i left Victor alone that long my bed would be dug straight thru to china..and geez i don't know what else he would get into..any relatives or granparents nearby that would puppy sit? this is over in another year or so when they settle down..if not you better make a safe room removing everything the dog could hurt itself on..treated all electrical cords with bitter apple gel, getting rid of mini blind cords as well..a bored dog is distructive..you better exercise him and do it really well before you leave him for 5 hrs...wouldn't work in this house.

bubbatd

I don't think so .!!! Let's see who's home during the day. This is a 17 yr old....remember !

Julie

I am back again.
neko,
If I were you, I would crate him for those five hours. I know some might not agree, but after your dog learns bad habits, they are harder to break than not letting him learn them in the first place.
If you are available the rest of the day, and give him plenty of exercise and stimulate his brain, he will probably sleep in his crate the whole time you work. And I assume you have a couple days off a week, so he would only be confined about 5 days for 5 hours. Not to mention how happy he is when you get home. Just be sure to give plenty attention when you are not working, I think you will get along fine.
Julie.

Dreeza

My dog is crated as well...

the rescue place we got him from crated him for like, 8hrs a day, so he was used to it (as terrible as that sounds)

My puppy does just fine in his crate...he barks right when you leave him, but only for a minute, and then sleeps all day, lol

we just cant trust him to be alone and hurt himself, or destroy the house...

plus, he wont play by himself anyways...or at least he wont eat kongs or anything...i cant really tell if he plays with toys :p

We did just get an outdoor kennel for him, which is a pretty good size for him...the neighbors donated it to us (yay for free stuff) after both their hunting doggies died.

Could you get an outdoor kennel?

neko12_48767

I love my dog Neko
I had a black dog that had puppies and I took one of her puppies and I had him the day he was born. he bonded to me. I do crate him to if i'm gone long when 5 hour. and I have 4 other dogs. two are my mom, and 1 is my sister, and 1 is my dad. and no one will spend time with him because he to hyper and my mom hate big dog. and my dad can't handle him because he too hyper. and he won't lisne to anyone but me. I don't like outdoor kennels because the town we live in the people are very rude and will posion him.

Dreeza

what on earth is wrong with people!

why would someone want to go poison someone elses dog??? geez...

im in MI too...i dont know where unionville is though

Members online

No members online now.