Your Dogs Name: Why You Chose The Dog Name You Did

SkyRock

I named Rocky when I was 10, and because he is salt & pepper Schnauzer I thought it fitted him perfectly, though I don't really like the name now, I feel is too common for salt&peppers to have that name LOL.

And Skye, he's not home yet, but I love the outdoors and laying outside just watching the sky, it really calms me, and this dog is basically a blessing in my life, plus he has blue eyes. I really like his name.

muzaffar

My dog name is tiger. I chosen this name for him :) i love tigers and lion. He was height ed, perfectly slim, beautiful. loved him. But he died last year :( :'(

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Saxon came to me in a dream. Everything from his appearance to his name. My grandfather died in January of 2011. The night after his funeral I had a dream the he had gotten a puppy named Saxon two weeks before he died and, knowing that I was an animal lover, he left the puppy to me in his will. A few weeks after I had the dream I was browsing the local online classifieds for a Pit Bull or AmStaff. I answered an ad for an "English Staffordshire Terrier." I emailed back and forth with the person, researched the breed and, after already deciding to go and see the dog, I asked for them to send me some pictures. I was stunned. The dog in their pictures looked almost exactly like the dog in my dream, the only difference was the dog in my dream had a patch over both eyes. That was it for me, I had found my dog, I had found Saxon. :)

Later I was rewatching my favorite movie, Hot Fuzz, and realized the dog in the movie's name is Saxon! I guess that's how the name snuck into my subconscious. Funnily enough, Saxon looks at the TV everytime they call the dog in the movie! :)

spiffy

My Doberman was named Jessica (from the Jessica of American idol). However, the dog now goes by the name "Pandog". Xian, my two year old nephew gave the dog its new name. What is quite funny is that the boy also changed his name. He now answers to the name "Xiandog." :rofl1:

I find the name Kuchie interesting that is why I gave her this name and since she is just little and cute.Now, we can't wait to give her birth and have more puppies.

Barbara!

Penny and Malyk were both named by their previous owners.

I had the name Chevelle picked out for my female pit bull long before I actually got her. And when we did get her... It just fit! And I was so happy about that.

Baloo, I was originally going to name Zeppelin. But when we first got him, I watched The Jungle Book, and when I looked at him and asked him if he wanted to be named "Baloo" instead, he perked up. So, that is what he was named. :)

Joxer The Mighty Master Of Mayhem was named after a character on Xena. Patrick Starr was named after the Spongebob character (it's fits him!). Minnie was named after Minerva McGonagall who is one of my favorite Harry Potter characters. Dash was named that for two reasons, one we got him right around Christmas and I knew being a Boxer puppy that he would take after Dashiell Robert Parr from the Incredibles. Fergus is a redhead that we got right around St. Patrick's Day so his full name is Sir Fergus of Bravo.

Shakou

I wasn't present when my husband named Charlotte, but was told she was given the name by a train hopping clown, lol.

Ma'ii (Muh-ee) was named after the Navajo coyote spirit, for various reasons.

I named King as he from the moment we met him, he just recognizes that no dog is his equal, an attitude he still has at almost 14. He's getting pretty wobbly the last couple of months, but his appetite is still great and he seems to be enjoying his last days. Molly was a name my mother, who lived with me then, picked out beforehand, as we knew we would be getting a male and a female dog. She's even frailer than King is at this point. I know time is getting short. I get upset just thinking about it.

My last dog Gus, well, the name just seemed to fit him. He was almost named "Popeye", for the overly thick forelegs he had, and because his eyes would bulge in and out when he would chew on stuff. We decided on Gus, short and to the point.

Blackie, one of my dogs before Gus was named by a friend of mine, who owned her mother, a black Lab, and I owned her sire, Farfel, my Beagle. My other dog was named Joe, short for his papers name, Lemon Joe. I didn't like the Lemon, so I dropped it, it fit too well, as he had health issues his entire life. Only dog I ever really paid any real money for, ironic he should be the biggest dud I ever had, health wise.

Blackie's daddy was Farfel, a kind of jewish noodle. A name that totally didn't fit as he was anything but soft. Almost as self confident as King is, except much more tolerant of puppy nips. He would do, and did, about anything to defend one of his friends, regardless of the size of the dog threatening them or him. The biggest Beagle I have ever seen at almost 40 rock hard pounds, he started out the runt of runts, about half the size of his sister when I picked him out at 3 months of age. There was something about him, even then he thought he was a tough guy, that wouldn't come for about a year, after he lost a battle in the backyard with the biggest German Shepherd I have ever seen. Odd thing was, after she tore him up pretty good, they became good friends. One day, there she was lying down in the back yard with him.

Saara

Chase got her name partly because I like boy names for girls, and partly because she likes to chase.
Mostly I just liked the name, and I considered anything an improvement on the name she had when we adopted her. Tala. Before that she was Spirit.

GipsyQueen

After our first visit at Gipsy's breeder a song came on the radio, from the Gipsy Kings. For some reason the name Gipsy seemed to suite this little brown ball of fur that we had fallen in love with from the first second. she choose us and it seemed the perfect name for her.
Once we brought her home, she grew and grew and soon started walking us through the neighbourhood and not us her. So her full registered name became "Gipsy Queen of Highwoods". Highwoods was our neighbourhood - and I always thought it sounded pretty grad. ;) I mean - we have a royal in our family. :p

ptc48

Animal Lover
We were looking for a large dog to adopt. Was talking to a shelter manager and she started singing the praises of a 11 month old dog named "Dunbar". It was meant to be... "Dunbar" is a family surname in our son-in-law's family and is his and our grandson's middle name. The shelter didn't know why they named the little pup "Dunbar "when he was found by the side of the road, but we drove 2 hours to adopt our boy,Dunbar. Just to add to the story, Dunbar was adopted when he was a puppy, but was returned to the shelter at 7 months old because he "got too big". He's not too big for us...He's just perfect.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I think I've responsed to this thread before but don't feel like sifting through all the pages to see. Figure I'll post again since I have another dog now.

Bamm Bamm was named before I got him. His original name was Gideon, but his foster changed it to Bamm Bamm because she had a dog named Pebbles and it just suited him. He was a bit of a troublemaker when he was younger. His name is still Bamm Bamm but I just call him Bamm.

Cricket- Cricket was originally named by RD as Poppy. A lot of you that were here around that time probably remember that little brindle monkey that she originally posted on the forum that I instantly fell in love with. I had been in contact with a Papillon breeder because we were wanting a smaller dog at the time, but when I saw her something inside me lit up and I couldn't stop thinking about her. I named her Cricket because anytime Grace gave me updates on her it usually included her jumping or climbing over something. Her favorite trick in the world actually is jump and she will leap straight up into the air.

Joey- he looks like a kangaroo and is so bouncy. Caliterp actually suggested he looks like a Joey when he stayed with her for a few days and the name idea just stuck. If you get to know him and his derpy personality he definitely is a Joey.

Shedeivl

The neighbors over the road had a accidental litter as there husky came into heat really early.... anyway 2weeks later they got told they had to move and the dogs had no where to go and would of had to go to the pound.... I spoke to my hubby said that the pups where only 2 weeks old and I didn't want them to have to go to the pound so we talked to the neighbors and deiced to take mum dad and the pups in just until they could find a new place and the pups where old enough to leave mum.... we too care of the pups and feel in love with the lightest one of the litter... who we nick-named GT as in GT Falcon as she has a GT stripe running the length of her back just like the car

The best news came when the neighbors said we where able to keep the pick of the litter due for free due to the fact we took care of them

When we decided we were definitely ready to get a puppy we spent most of the drive from Ohio to NY tossing names out. I am terrible at naming things, it took me like 3 months to name poor Nova. Anyway, I was talking to my mom on the phone and she suggested going with a NY name and she tossed a few things out, but I didn't really like them. Then one day on my way to work the name Hudson popped into my head. We live near the Hudson River and in the Hudson Valley, but we hope to move back to Ohio in the next 5-10 years, so he'll always be our NY dog.

His registered name is KENNEL NAME's Angels in Gotham which is a nod to the last Doctor Who episode with Amy & Rory, Angel's take Manhattan.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Neccy Becky came with the name Neckbone, which I refused to call her, since Nessie, she isgnored, then Neccy she became. She is far to lovely of a girl to be called Neckbone.

Hello Everybody,
Currently i have no dog. he has died. And his name was Tommy. I don't know why we gave him this name but. I like this name a lot. In future if i will take any dog. I will gill this name to him again.

dog-runs.ie

Members online