help Shelter/Rescue Dogs question

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
My mom really wants a Maltese, they are expensive, and there are many people just making a profit off of them so once they advertise they are gone. I'm trying to get her to understand that there are some already out there in a shelter or rescue group/home that need to be homed. Her thing is she thinks they all have "issues" or will have bad health anyway, so why not just get one from the ad out of the paper. I can't seem to explain it to her well enough, that some are just unluckly that way but not all, and not to encourage byb by buying from them. So I would like to hear some feedback on things to say or sites to direct her to. She did fill out an adoption from on 1-800-save-a-pet.com but never heard anything back, and I got her to search on petfinder for shelters close to her but that didn't turn out well either. Help! :)

You need to explain to your Mom that rescue is actually a better deal because the dogs have been in foster and have been evaluated. She'll know what the dog's quirks are as well as their good qualities. You don't get that with a puppy from an unkown breeder. And the cost is like getting one out of the shelter, although, cost should be no option (unless she's looking at some of those ridiculous breeders that ask $500+ for their puppies). What state is she in? I can help direct to a rescue! And don't be alarmed that a rescue or a shelter is not calling her back right away. They are overworked volunteers for the most part and it sometimes takes awhile...

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
Georgia. Most maltese found range from $400 to like $1500. Some of the rescue sites ask for a donation of $150-$300. the shelters are usually like $85. Thank you very much EliNHunter =0)

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
Also, explain to her that there is a larger chance that those pure bred malteses will be adopted, the dogs in the shelter need her help.

Twilight

Boxer Rescue
What People need to understand is that the dogs are not the problem it is actually the owners
People get these puppies then arnt prepared to put the training into them, so once they do get problems they decide to hand them over to a rescue

All your mum has to do is ask about the background of each dog, If the dog has any problems, then the rescue make sure they help to eliminate them

NOT all dogs in rescue are problem dogs, Take my new Rescue Boxer for example

She is perfect in every way the only reason she was handed over to boxer rescue was that the womans husband got really ill and they were moving into sheltered accomodation with a strikt NO pets rule, so unfortunately for her, she had to rehome her 2 boxers

I think you will find that the majority of dogs in rescue are there either because the owner got bored, didnt put the time into training them, have had a baby and say they no longer have time for the dog

It is rarely behavioural problems that a dog ends up in rescue

But of course im in the UK and maybe things are different in the US

dogdaypets

Dog Day Pets
Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum. I had to join my, Alaskan Malamute is named Chaz. Chaz is a rescue dog from a shelter in Canada. I had the same misgivings about the dogs there, however, I couldn't ask for a better companion. He was very skittish around people for about a year, but now he's at the door to greet people before me. If you go to the shelter, take the dog for a walk and spend a little time. You'll know if it's a well-mannered dog or not.

Here's a list of Maltese rescues in GA I found:

Maltese
J Humane Friends of West Georgia, Inc. (takes mixes 15 lbs.& under), Sharon Pate - 770-301-6914, e-mail: [email protected], Web: www.humanefriendsofwestgeorgia.org
J K9 Angels, Inc. (takes mixes), Corinne Birely - 770-957-1115 or 678-517-3904, e-mail: [email protected], Web: www.k9angels.net
J Kanine Kids (takes mixes), Ricky Schwartz & Laureen Kaneta - 678-318-1839, e-mail: [email protected], Web: www.kaninekids.com
Karen Harmon (takes mixes) - 770-834-2917
J Small Dog Rescue and Humane Society (to adopt only) - 404-705-PAWS (7297). e-mail: [email protected], Web: www.petorphans.com and www.smalldoghumane.org
J Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue (mixes & other small breeds) - 423-843-9211, e-mail: [email protected], Web: www.scmradoption.com

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
Thank you so much, I have emailed her all of those!

Guess I can't say anything else to help persaude her, I get my stubborness from her so if she's going to decide on something it's going to be all on her own accord I guess! :D

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.