Cameras and lenses

I LOVE photography. My current camera is a Sony DSC F828. It was a good first "real" camera, but, well... it sucks. It's super slow between pictures (I can only take 1 picture, and then wait about a second for it to process, and be ready to take another picture). It has been malfunctioning for a while. Not horrible, it's still usable, but it will turn off randomly(usually right when I'm about to take a picture, of course) and it is sooooo slow to process anything, and switch settings.

Sooo... I am looking into getting a new camera. Not sure how soon this can happen, as I am on a very tight budget. I'm looking at used/refurbished ones. I love Nikons. I'm pretty sure I want to go with a Nikon... no idea what kind. I also don't have a clue about lenses.

Any recommendations?

I photograph mostly outdoors, and 99.9% of my pictures are of dogs(lots of action shots).

RottenFlower

rotties are my kryptonite
More north of south, but more south of north.
I have a Nikon D90 that I love, along with a few different lenses (Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 & 28-75 f/2.8, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 55-200mm & Sigma 70-300mm). The 50mm was only about $150 new, and the Tamrons were bought used off of CL for about $300 each.

I don't really have a lot of luck with action shots, and have been told by pros that it's due to my equipment, although I have seen great shots come from a D90. I think it's mostly operator error. :rolleyes:

Maybe look for a refurb/used D90, or even a D7000. I'm not sure what costs look like these days, but keep your eyes Craigslist, maybe?

Last edited:
I much prefer Nikon over Canon. I have got to try out both (training friends with nice cameras). Is there a specific reason why Canon Rebel is a good "starter line"? I'm no pro, but I have gotten decent pictures with my crappy old Sony. I don't intend to do pro photography but I don't want a camera to only use on the auto setting either ;) I love taking pictures, and want to learn more on how to properly use settings on a "real" camera...

I LOVE the pictures I have seen from Nikon D90s! After looking up the price, I can see why!

What is more important, a better camera body, or a better lens?
I was looking at used Nikon D5000, which might be something I can afford. Is that model any good?

FG167

I much prefer Nikon over Canon. I have got to try out both (training friends with nice cameras). Is there a specific reason why Canon Rebel is a good "starter line"? I'm no pro, but I have gotten decent pictures with my crappy old Sony. I don't intend to do pro photography but I don't want a camera to only use on the auto setting either ;) I love taking pictures, and want to learn more on how to properly use settings on a "real" camera...

I LOVE the pictures I have seen from Nikon D90s! After looking up the price, I can see why!

What is more important, a better camera body, or a better lens?
I was looking at used Nikon D5000, which might be something I can afford. Is that model any good?
I switched from Canon to Nikon also, but found the Rebel line to be smaller/lighter/easier to use for when I was learning. That said, I started with Nikon D5000 and then bought a Nikon D7000, used a D90 a lot also. They are all three great cameras. I adored my D5000 and just upgraded for the lower light options. I was thrilled with my D5000 though and would have been just as happy with the D90 I think.

I vote get a serviceable body, get the best glass you can afford.

Is the D5000 not good in low light? I would like to be able to take photos at indoor dog shows (although not completely necessary, I prefer taking pictures outdoors anyways)
What lens did you use for your D5000? What would you recommend for photographing dogs, mainly outdoors, lots of action shots? Not generally shooting a very long distance away (although it would be helpful at schutzhund!)

FG167

Is the D5000 not good in low light? I would like to be able to take photos at indoor dog shows (although not completely necessary, I prefer taking pictures outdoors anyways)
What lens did you use for your D5000? What would you recommend for photographing dogs, mainly outdoors, lots of action shots? Not generally shooting a very long distance away (although it would be helpful at schutzhund!)
I haven't noticed a significant difference actually between the two bodies. But, I'm not the most knowledgeable photographer either. I've been shooting Manual only for about 7 months now. My favorite lens for indoor stuff (I shot Flyball) was with my 50mm

Grab

I have/use a D5000. And I'm poor so only have the kit lens, lol. I'm perfectly happy with it (though I'm looking at additional lenses)

I am really liking the looks of the D5000... The only thing I don't quite understand is lenses. Is it best to go with a Nikon lens, or a "Non mfg" lens? What is the kit lens? Buying used doesn't include a lens, so I'd have to buy one separately.

Grab

The kit lens is the 15-55mm lens.

I believe that other lenses will work fine, but it will only auto-focus with the nikon af-s lenses. (someone can correct me if I am wrong, though :) ) If you generally use manual focus, it wouldn't matter.

The kit lens is the 15-55mm lens.

I believe that other lenses will work fine, but it will only auto-focus with the nikon af-s lenses. (someone can correct me if I am wrong, though :) ) If you generally use manual focus, it wouldn't matter.
I did not know that. I use both auto and manual focus regularly, so definitely good to know! Thanks!

I would really love a camera that can record video also, my current camera does it and it is a very handy feature. I'm feeling like a (used..)D5000 is the way to go, and getting a cheaper lens to start with and maybe a better one in the future...

kady05

Can't offer much help with Nikon's, I'm a Canon girl ;) (no offense to Nikon people, it's just what I've always shot with so I don't know much about anything else).

However, good glass is one of the most important things if you want nice pictures. Better to spend money on that vs. a body, IMO. Of course, the body does matter, some are known to be better in low light, better with action shots (like my camera for example, shoots 10fps., it's insanely fast), etc.

As someone else mentioned, the Canon Rebel line is a great one for a starter camera. I started out with a T1i and loved it til I outgrew it.

Equinox

I used to have the Nikon D90 with the 50mm f/1.8 being my main lens. I also had a 18-55mm kit lens and then the 18-105mm kit lens, and a Tamron 55-200mm f/4 - 5.6, and a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens for wide angle stuff. Really, really like it, it's a fantastic camera. It was my first DSLR and user friendly enough for me, but also great for when I wanted to get a bit more in depth.

Here are some pictures I took with the camera -
Early morning pictures.

Early evening pictures.

Beach pictures at sunset/dusk. A few outdoor action shots in there.

Indoor dog show pictures. Two agility shots on the second page, I think.

A used D90 would probably just be about around $100 more than a used D5000 or D5100? The D5000 and D5100 are about $70 apart in price when you buy used, although the D5200 is quite a bit more. I haven't the D5000/D5100/D5200's before though, so I really don't know how they compare.

The kit lens is either the 18-55mm f/3.5 - 4.6 or the 18-105mm f/3.5 - 4.6.

Older "D" series lenses will autofocus on the Nikon D90, D7000, and the new D7100 because those camera bodies have a built in autofocus motor. The D5000/D5100/D5200 camera bodies do not, so you will have to purchase the lenses that have a built in AF motor if you want autofocusing. For example, my 50mm is the 50mm f/1.8 D (which I got for $50 used) and it autofocuses on the D90. However, if I had the D5000 and I wanted autofocusing, I would have had to buy the newer 50mm f/1.8 G (which I think is around $150? Haven't checked before, so don't quote me on that!).

Nikon doesn't have to be the only way to go for lenses. I've heard some great things about Sigma lenses (although I will admit the reviews seem inconsistent), and I have both a Tamron and a Tokina lens and like them both. I am less than thrilled with the quality of the Tamron but it works fine for someone like me who just wants to snap pictures :) I really like my Tokina wide angle, though!

And definitely invest in good glass. Good lenses are the way to go, even if the camera body is less than stellar.

Equinox

Ack, that's supposed to say 18-55mm and 18- 105mm f/3.5 - 5.6 for the kit lenses. It's been a long week LOL

I used to have the Nikon D90 with the 50mm f/1.8 being my main lens. I also had a 18-55mm kit lens and then the 18-105mm kit lens, and a Tamron 55-200mm f/4 - 5.6, and a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens for wide angle stuff. Really, really like it, it's a fantastic camera. It was my first DSLR and user friendly enough for me, but also great for when I wanted to get a bit more in depth.

Here are some pictures I took with the camera -
Early morning pictures.

Early evening pictures.

Beach pictures at sunset/dusk. A few outdoor action shots in there.

Indoor dog show pictures. Two agility shots on the second page, I think.

A used D90 would probably just be about around $100 more than a used D5000 or D5100? The D5000 and D5100 are about $70 apart in price when you buy used, although the D5200 is quite a bit more. I haven't the D5000/D5100/D5200's before though, so I really don't know how they compare.

The kit lens is either the 18-55mm f/3.5 - 4.6 or the 18-105mm f/3.5 - 4.6.

Older "D" series lenses will autofocus on the Nikon D90, D7000, and the new D7100 because those camera bodies have a built in autofocus motor. The D5000/D5100/D5200 camera bodies do not, so you will have to purchase the lenses that have a built in AF motor if you want autofocusing. For example, my 50mm is the 50mm f/1.8 D (which I got for $50 used) and it autofocuses on the D90. However, if I had the D5000 and I wanted autofocusing, I would have had to buy the newer 50mm f/1.8 G (which I think is around $150? Haven't checked before, so don't quote me on that!).

Nikon doesn't have to be the only way to go for lenses. I've heard some great things about Sigma lenses (although I will admit the reviews seem inconsistent), and I have both a Tamron and a Tokina lens and like them both. I am less than thrilled with the quality of the Tamron but it works fine for someone like me who just wants to snap pictures :) I really like my Tokina wide angle, though!

And definitely invest in good glass. Good lenses are the way to go, even if the camera body is less than stellar.
Ah, glad you said that because I wouldn't have known!(about the autofocus in the lens)

I DO use Auto focus, and manual focus. I'm sure it's better to use manual, but sometimes it's easier/faster to just use auto...

I would looove a D90, but from what I have seen, even used ones are far more expensive than what I can spend :(

What's the best place (online) to get used cameras and lenses?

Is a kit lens any good? Or should I not bother and go for something better? I can't afford a several hundred dollar lens. For the lens I am looking for under $100 but now I'm not sure if that is even possible...

Members online