APBT,AST,Ambully protection work

Adjecyca1

How do you guys feel about the APBTs, ASTs, And Ambullies being used for protection work, i already know how most APBT people feel, so i am curious about other opinions

I have no issue. i've seen plenty that are just fine. Good temperament for it, clear heads, good drive. I will say it's always been more prey drive based than bringing out real aggression. Terriers of any sort in the mode of real aggression no matter what is bringing it out, aren't really that controllable.

I myself don't have one because on the off chance that something goes catastrophically wrong and someone gets bitten or hurt GSD's are still viewed as police and Military dogs. If I had a bully breed, anyone and everyone would be after me with relentless fervor. I don't mind the heat, but I don't want that kind of heat :)

Rather that being viewed as someone that trains police dogs, I'd be lumped with drug dealers and trying to train the killers of babies everywhere. If my sports of choice change some day, i will probably have a bully of some sort of mix that I do other stuff with. I do like strong, agile, loyal and smart dogs. They fit the bill.

Equinox

Already mentioned my thoughts on another site. I really don't care, I've seen APBTs and bully mixes trained in IPO and just have a blast, and I enjoy watching them and talking to their owners/handlers to see how they train. I have plenty of respect for those who do it well, because some things (like the bark and hold) do not always come as naturally as it would for "typical" bitesport breeds.

I myself don't have one because on the off chance that something goes catastrophically wrong and someone gets bitten or hurt GSD's are still viewed as police and Military dogs. If I had a bully breed, anyone and everyone would be after me with relentless fervor. I don't mind the heat, but I don't want that kind of heat :)

Rather that being viewed as someone that trains police dogs, I'd be lumped with drug dealers and trying to train the killers of babies everywhere. If my sports of choice change some day, i will probably have a bully of some sort of mix that I do other stuff with. I do like strong, agile, loyal and smart dogs. They fit the bill.
This is a really good point.

When my German Shepherd barks people (which he does, in circumstances where it's warranted/understandable) he is "doing his job". The people originally approaching us will back off and apologize to me, saying "oh sorry, didn't realize he was a guard dog!" or "oh look at him doing his job!" or "man that's a cool dog". But I have no doubt in my mind that if I even had anything resembling a Pit Bull acting the same way, I'd be seeing a very different attitude. And that's even in an area where bully mixes are very popular.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
As with any breed, if it's done well, I have no problem with it. If it's done poorly? No thanks.

I have a friend who worked several of her APBT in IPO - those dogs were so fun to watch and obviously enjoyed the sport, as did their handler. :)

Torch

I have no issue. i've seen plenty that are just fine. Good temperament for it, clear heads, good drive. I will say it's always been more prey drive based than bringing out real aggression. Terriers of any sort in the mode of real aggression no matter what is bringing it out, aren't really that controllable.

Excellent post.

For me, it's an image thing. We are talking about a breed that is very maligned as aggressive and man biters by much of the general public. Doing bitework only solidifies that incorrect assumption.

My APBT would love bitework. He loves to tug, chase, bark, and jump. He's powerful and tenacious. His father and grandfather were great, well-trained protection dogs. It's just not for me.

Members online

No members online now.