Ideal Number of Dogs/Dog limit?

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Ideal? Around 1 to 2 dogs. I'm not entirely sure, due to not having a dog.

Maximum? Four dogs. But, I don't think that'll happen, especially with the breeds I'm interested in. It's possible,but it isn't all that likely. But, that is subjected to change, especially when I have more experience.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
For my own personal dogs?
Ideal: 2
Max: 2-3

I'd love to have the dogs spaced out so that one is middle aged and one a pup at the same time. (And then it would be senior and middle aged. When the senior passes, time to get a pup again.) Lucky for me, this will hopefully be how the timing works out for my NextDog. I'd like to add one when Abrams is in the 4-6 range. (Well, I want one NOW, but realistically, it is better to wait.)

For household dogs? (Aka, DH's dogs included.)
Ideal: 3-4 total household dogs
Max: 5-6

Although this totally depends on the size of our house/property and the size of the dogs. Where we are right now, there is no way we could have more than one more dog, and it would need to be no bigger than 60 pounds (ideally 50lbs or less), or we just wouldn't have the room!

If we have tons of acerage/a large house? I could definitely see having a few outdoor "barn dogs" and then a few "house dogs" as well.

Honestly, the biggest problem I have with having six and a foster is lack of couch space, so I'll obviously have to add a piece of furniture prior to number seven and eight!
We just got an extra loveseat because one of us would get up amd then have nowhere to sit.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
For me I think my ideal is 2 or 3. My max is probably 4 which is our current number. We are adding another Ibizan in approx 4 years. Don't know if Bamm will still be around then or not, but if he is then we will be up to 5 for a little bit. I would love to be back down to just two dogs honestly, but I have too many plans dogwise that I don't foresee just 2 for a verrry long time.

SpringerLover

If I had 3 dogs like Gabby, I would be fine with 3. Bailey makes me just want one dog like her. Ideal is 1-2 with a foster. Currently have 1.5ish with a foster.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
Ideal: 1-2
Maximum: 3

I could probably handle a whole bucket of chihuahuas, but I can't get another Brisbane until I've used up the one I already have. I like doing individual walks/outings where I can focus on training, versus pack walks where all I can handle is management. More than three and I really feel like someone is missing out.

What I have now is pretty awesome, I think my ideal is one superdog, one easy dog, and one foster.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
If it were just me:

Ideal: 1
Max: 2

For me and David together:

Ideal: 2
Max: 3-4 depending on the dogs needs.

Members online

No members online now.