What is something you wish you had done (or done differently) with your dog(s)?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
We live in a very dog friendly city where dogs putting their paws up on counters at the register is rewarded with treats.
almost always.

Now he goes for it, EVERY **** TIME

It's just so much positive association and I should've put a stop to it early.

crazedACD

We live in a very dog friendly city where dogs putting their paws up on counters at the register is rewarded with treats.
almost always.

YES. And then you take them somewhere where there aren't treats up there and the cashiers look at you and your dog like some kind of untrained monster.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
With Cobain I was too obsessed with having the "perfect" dog.
So much so that I feel I didn't really give him a chance at being a puppy. So now, while I can take him anywhere and not have to worry about his behaviour, he never really seems to enjoy being in new places. I think I was probably too hard on him early on...

Maxy24

I wish I hadn't tried to force him to socialize with people (and dogs) and done more of a bring him around people but don't try to get him to interact with them type of thing. I was just so caught up in the "your puppy must meet this many people by the time he's 4 months or he'll be a terrified, vicious mess" and so I tried to force him to meet people even though he didn't want to. I was just thinking of how my puppy is going to meet exactly zero people by the time he's 4 months because he will not interact with them. Period. Now he's a terrified, vicious mess.

Then the dog thing is really a shame. I was so glad he liked dogs at first that I constantly brought him to play with other dogs and sort of ignored when he got nervous or overwhelmed. I just thought, no my dog LIKES dogs and that dog is friendly so it'll be fine. Meanwhile my dog was having bad experiences (only a few but he's sensitive). Now he's not dog friendly.

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
I wish I was more firm with my mom when Lancer was a puppy, on "DO NOT TAKE HIM TO THE DOG PARK WITHOUT ME".

I was the one who initiated the dog park idea on getting over his fear of dogs- I knew it was risky, but I said ONLY when I am there to assess the situation... usually at night when there are very few dogs, make sure all dogs are friendly and calm before entering, etc... and I trust myself on sensing these things. :s His first and second time there in those situations really did help him overcome his fear (he was only 4 months old) very quickly. And then I went back to school, told my mom not to bring him to the dog park without me there... but not firmly enough. My mom has terrible sense for dog emotions/environment. :\ She does not listen to me, brings him herself a couple more times DURING THE DAY on weekends when there are like thirty dogs, and an accident happens.
Some dogs at dog parks often get mob mentality, if you know what I mean, and pick on the "weaker" seeming dogs. Sometimes the worst happens.

Or rather, I wish I never even brought up this idea to my mom to begin with, so she wouldn't make that mistake. Lancer might have even eventually gotten over his fear naturally, without any terrible experiences.

Rara was actually a very perfect dog. Her problems now are ALSO my mom's mistake of not listening to me. After Lancer developed his fear-aggression towards stranger dogs, I told my mom NOT to bring them out together on walks... they must be separated, or else easily susceptible Rara will copy Lancer's fear. It would screw with her existing happy demeanor with stranger dogs. I was AT SCHOOL, so again, no control over what my mom ends up doing. Mom chooses not to listen to my advice, brings them out only a few times together, Rara witnesses Lancer's aggression... lo and behold, Rara became extremely fearful of other dogs too.

At this point, I'm pretty much exploding at my mom for never listening to my advice when I am away... I can't control what she chooses to do, and she has zero dog sense. She finally decides that she should probably take my advice now- so after about 9 months or so of bringing them out separately, Rara generally got over her severe fear. But she's not trustworthy anymore with meeting other dogs either... one second she will seem friendly and calm, and the next second she would snap and freak the hell out. She pretty much can only greet other dogs now in under 5 seconds, to avoid her possible sudden fear/explosiveness.

TL;DR My mom has zero dog/environment sense, she didn't take my advice for my dogs while I was away at school, hell broke loose, mom caused both my dog' fear-reactivity of other dogs for possibly their entire lives.
(I probably sound angry and it is because I am. I will never let another dog under my mom's care again, if I can help it. lmao)

Last edited:

amberdyan

I wish I would have really discouraged how excited he gets when people come over. One of my friends loved it and would encourage him to jump on her even though I asked her not to. She would do it and then be like "oops! Sorry! I forgot!" (which, knowing her, I think is probably true) but I wish I would have taken a formal training approach to it instead of just trying to discourage behavior I didn't want because now that I'm really working on it with him, it's significantly harder than it needed to be.

Dekka

Just try me..
With Dekka its all agility related. But I didn't have the skills when she was young to handle her the way she needs to be handled (like a high end sports car with the accelerator stuck down.. most days)

I think she is pretty perfect and I am very happy with what she knows.

I did have regrets with other dogs. LOL we need to post this question in a few years and see what I wish I had done with Schen!

Elrohwen

almost always.

For some reason Watson always acts like a perfect gentleman who would never ever put his feet on the counter. He just stands up on his hind legs, not touching no matter what, and everyone thinks he's adorable and polite.

He doesn't tell them that he counter surfs like a pro at home all the freaking time. This dog is such a sandbagger and a good actor.

monkeys23

almost always.

This drives me nuts and Lily also goes for it every single time!
She also likes to vacuum around the treat bins in the pet store... :rolleyes:

monkeys23

With Lily I wish I hadn't listened to crappy tugging advice and murdered her tug drive. We have it back to an extent due to diligent participation in the Tuggers portion of Recaller's as well as Shade's drives and play classes, but nowhere near what it could have been if I hadn't 'effed up following traditional training advice to begin with.
I am very lucky that Lily is who she is. Changing my approach and redoing foundations with her several years back made us so much closer and it is AMAZING how operant she has become. I love that she never quits trying and how happy she is to work. I do wish we could further some things with more one on one time, but life is what it is. :p

Scout... I don't really have any regrets. My biggest worry is always about her quality of life. I made a lot of good choices overall. Most of my bad choices were the small things, like the odd time of well hopefully she does okay while Lily and I go on a 15 min walk and things like that.
Which lets be honest, in any desensitization/b-mod program we need to be realistic about BOTH human life and the dog's needs. My other dog has needs too and frankly has had a lot of frustration unfairly placed on her from the demands that meeting Scout's needs has put on us.
I am VERY thankful that I've been able to adjust my management plan due to friends willing to take a half hour and sit with Scout and thankful that due to that enhancement we haven't had any huge backslides *knock on wood* in stress behavior in a really, really long time. Its been a hell of a journey and she's a good girlie. I was probably crazy to take her as my second dog, but I think its been worth it. She made me learn a LOT. Also she is super snuggly and sweet. And hilariously dorky.

I really truly look forward to taking these lessons forward when I am eventually able to get a puppy. The biggest thing I want to remember is to relax and have fun, which is why I'm waiting until it is the right time of course. It will be worth it!

Members online

No members online now.