Dog Gone Mad

For the past 10+ years I've lived here, I have listened to the neighbors barking lab waltzing up and down the street....from any time of day to 2am. She poos in every one elses yard and has been hit twice. The owners neither seem to care or learn.

I have never blamed the DOG, but I was sadly starting to take some comfort that she was getting old and would pass on. That is until Bear...he is their new lab puppy, and needless to say I wasn't happy as I watched the old girl taking him along the neighborhood teaching him the ropes.

One day I was out and someone is barking at me, it's Bear. Now the female is afraid of her own shadow, won't come near...but Bear, he was sheepishly wiggling in the middle of the street just begging for some eye contact. Sure enough once I made it, he came flying over.

Bear is a nice little pup, much MUCH more hyper than my own...he returned often, and I found myself fighting to keep him off my dogs and trying to plow into my door. I found scratches and bruises all over my body, and let me tell ya, I don't bruise easy. Even if I wasn't outside, he'd come flying against my door scratching [I'd ignore, but he'd be back the next time].

I finally had enough one day, put a lead on him and took him down to the owners and told them it needed to stop, he was mauling me and my dogs, it's a problem. It took about two days before he was back scratching at my door. It did cut back, but I could all ready tell they weren't going to give me any respect here.

So tonight, I hear this loud thump against my door and then a dog screaming. Keep in mind, it's in the teens and no dog should be out there for more than a potty. I open the door and sure enough it is Bear, who comes flying into my house. I couldn't figure out why he was screaming [which is why I opened the door this time, I was concerned] until I realized they now had a shock collar on him...and set way too high, he just breathed real heavy and would then cry out. I came THIS close to taking it off and making it disappear, but had all ready called the police and they had asked what he was wearing.

Which yes, I called the police who pick up strays and take them to the vet. In turn, the owner will now have to pay 25 to get him out. If he returns, 50 and then 75 [where I believe it tops out]. I don't know if I was being too harsh, but I can't do this another 10+ years.

End of vent.

Brutal. I'd be tempted to make Bear disappear for good... to a better home in a different city.... :rolleyes:
I'm embarrassed to say I have considered it, to the point I discussed it with a rescue friend...I'm too moral [stealing bad] and not a very good liar if they happened to come ask if I seen their dog.

Hopefully this gives them a little wake up....though not holding my breath. I mean, older dog has been hit twice and still free roaming.

Awe, how sad... :( Especially with the shock collar... I don't believe in those personally.

There used to be a cat the free-roamed the neighborhood and we would let it in the house and he'd hangout for a while and then leave.... I'd probably do the same with Bear.. teach him some manners and recall, haha!

Doberluv

That is just unforgivable. I would be tempted to do the same...take him way far away and find him a new home. LOL. But I wouldn't wind up doing that. I think it's good that if he gets out again, they'll have to pay to get him out back from animal control. That's the only chance of them learning anything...paying out money is a good deterrent.

I have a similar problem. Some neighbors of mine have a little Shih Tzu who another neighbor gave to them because his wife was allergic. The older man who use to own him took him on about 4 walks a day. The dog is sweet and WAS well behaved. Now with these new owners, (whom I like very much) he digs out under their fence constantly and the first time, I made the HUGE mistake of, upon finding they were not home, put him in my back yard for safety until they came home. Then repeatedly, almost every day, he'd get out and come here. He is wild with excitement, jumping up on my legs, digging his nails into me, jumping up on my porch furniture, tore the seam on one of the cushions...I advised them as to how they could keep him from digging under the fence. And still...one day he dug under MY gate to my back yard, risking my Poodles getting out! I was livid. But I smiled and told them. They're very apologetic and all but really...I've been tempted to have him picked up and taken to a shelter too but I like these people otherwise and hate to start a neighborhood rift. It has actually been a while since he's gotten out so maybe they're watching him better...until the other day. I took him home and found that the woman's cousin was taking care of him while the woman was out of state at her Dad's funeral. Now I really can't bitch about it. Oh dear...

Then there's another dog who I see wandering around late at night. He doesn't come here but I'm so worried he'll get up onto a busier road and get hit. What is up with people?! Grrrr.

So, I feel your pain.

Oh goodness, this lab is wild [10 of my Ripleys]...just the 10 minutes I had him in my home was like inviting an elephant in. I all ready know letting him in will make things worse...but well, he was all ready returning regardless and I just couldn't do nothing when I heard that cry. It wasn't just a little yelp.

My guess is the shock collar is to shut him up while in crate or wherever they put him to sleep because they certainly don't care if their other lab is barking up and down the neighborhood.

I feel for you too Dober, it has to be 10 times harder when you like the people. As much as their female bugged me, I never complained because I wanted to keep the peace. But I started to have enough when this guy was mauling my 16 y/o [he's only 7 pounds] and I had Ro get loose twice while trying to keep him from coming in the house...when it comes to my own dogs, I loose patience very quickly. I gave them a chance, unlike your people, they weren't even apologetic....just yeah yeah ok, bye. I was like yeah yeah ok, I'm done.

Hopefully some day I'll have my fence [contractor ran with money, so I lost out on my dream fence] and then the lab can't bother us at all [no having your neighbors dog give him ideas :)].

Doberluv

Yep, when it comes to your own dog's safety, enough is enough. If that little neighbor dog digs under my gate again, risking letting my Poodles out, I'll have to do something. I'm just hoping that won't happen.

That Lab sounds so crazy bored. How sad that he was crying/screaming so. I hate things that shock, especially when they don't work. No wonder he doesn't want to go back into his own yard.

Well...let's hope our situations are rectified pretty soon. Oy!:eek:

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, and you can keep peace with neighbor...it sounds like they are at least somewhat reasonable, just can't manage their escape artist. Maybe he's pent up too, since he's use to going for a lot of walks. A lot of people think a fence is good enough, but it's not...how would we feel if we had to stay in the same place 24-7.

I think you are right, I don't see these people putting much into a growing pup. I keep getting told 'he's just a puppy' when I note how crazy hyper he is, but I have a aussie mix pup that is bit younger than him and they are nothing CLOSE, but I interact with him daily and I didn't deal with his crate crying with a shock collar [he's fine in it now...didn't need zapped at all].

Me too, best of luck with your neighbor dog situation. :D

Doberluv

Shock collars have the great potential of really making a dog neurotic. It's a shame people get dogs but don't have the time or interest in giving them their basic needs. They give us so much and don't ask for that much in return. So sad. I hope your situation improves too.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Well that didn't take long...Bear was back today hitting against my door.

Sigh.
Every single time I'd be calling the shelter to come get the dog. If he keeps getting impounded, they'll either a.) wise up and keep him contained or b.) just leave him there and he can be adopted by someone who actually cares.

Seriously. It wasn't until we threatened the neighbors (at my childhood home) that if we caught their dogs on our property again we'd just drop them off at the shelter and keep doing it that they finally contained them.

And since at that time I was one more trespass away from calling Michael up and telling him to shoot the **** dogs if they attacked my then arthritic, blind, senior dog one more time as she went out to potty, I'm glad the neighbors finally got the hint.

People like that SHOULD not have a dog. Poor Bear though, my heart breaks for him. If he's not given back to them, and I hope he's not.... I pray that he finds a better home out there. He deserves a chance. P.s You did the right thing, at least, hopefully, he'll be safer without those owners.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
If he's impounded enough times is there a point where AC would actually do something? I don't even really know how it works here, but I just imagine there gets to be a point where they'd be sick of having to constantly impound the same dog, and would take some sort of further action?

Yeah, I'm afraid it's looking like that is what I'm going to have to do. I was really hoping it'd just take one swift kick to the bum to get their attention, but they appear to want to stay oblivious.

We don't have a regular animal control. The vet takes them, charges a fee [that goes up each time, maxing at 75]. If the owner does not pick them up, they are given a short time to be adopted, but after that they are put down. Our vet isn't big, they just don't have the space.

I'd keep calling AC but if he's going to end up pts that just... sucks. And these people sound like they find animals replaceable.. like why even have a dog if you're not going to take care of it?

Our old neighbors collie shepherd mix thing used to end up in our yard sometimes too but when we'd tell the neighbor she'd come out and be like "Tippy! Get over here you big goof, what are you doing? -- sorry guys, I guess I didn't make sure the fence was closed all the way" and literally it happened like 3 times in the 5 years we lived there.... and we didn't even care cuz Tippy was awesome. I'd be upset if a puppy who was supposed to live in a *home* was constantly at my door begging to come in...

that's the thing Boston, it's not a case of a dog 'accidentally' getting out. I'd have absolutely no issue there...I've had it happen myself [granted 95% of the times it happened, which has been like 4 times in past 10 years, was because of THEIR dog], and I am right out their trying to retrieve them.

I am thinking this lab would be adopted quickly, people like purebreds [somehow they are more special] and he's a pretty good looking one...my guess is he wouldn't have a problem finding a home. One that appreciates and put the work into him he NEEDS...is a whole other issue.

Members online

No members online now.