Food recommendations?

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Cali is currently on Acana Ranchlands, but I'm hoping to find something that'll help her skin/allergies and also something that she'll enjoy eating. She happily eats Moses' grocery store brand food (I've tried time and time again to convince my mom to change it) over the Acana. So, it'd be nice to find a quality food that she loves.

I was hoping that all the food gurus could help me select a brand and even a formula that she might enjoy more. I prefer grain-free but as long as it's quality and it should help with her skin, I'd be willing to give it a shot. Thanks!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
How is she with fish? Fish is generally the best for skin due to the excess of omega 3 and 6. Alternatively, you could use a potent fish oil supplement - I'm not sure what's near to you but in the winter months, I supplement Finnegan with a bit of Ascenta and it does wonders. He's also on a fish kibble right now.

If she might like fish, I'd try Acana Pacifica, Fromm Surf & Turf or another grainfree fish formula.

ETA: I just saw your other thread on the health forum. Is she itchy everywhere? Is she chewing her feet? In most food allergy cases, itching is centered on the base of the tail and the feet. She may just have dry skin, have you checked her for flakiness?

NinaB

I'd recommend raw. Helped my allergic girl who has been on it for a little over 5 years and loves it!

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
How is she with fish? Fish is generally the best for skin due to the excess of omega 3 and 6. Alternatively, you could use a potent fish oil supplement - I'm not sure what's near to you but in the winter months, I supplement Finnegan with a bit of Ascenta and it does wonders. He's also on a fish kibble right now.

If she might like fish, I'd try Acana Pacifica, Fromm Surf & Turf or another grainfree fish formula.

ETA: I just saw your other thread on the health forum. Is she itchy everywhere? Is she chewing her feet? In most food allergy cases, itching is centered on the base of the tail and the feet. She may just have dry skin, have you checked her for flakiness?
She doesn't seem to like fish. I had her on a salmon formula as a puppy, but nothing ever compared to the chicken based formula that she was on as a puppy.. she loved the stuff!

GPF was out of Acana Pacifica which was what she had originally recommended but we ended up going with Go! Chicken + Turkey which looks pretty promising and apparently she ate a fair bit out of the bowl when we got home. It has coconut oil as an ingredient as well as salmon oil and deboned trout.

Chicken meal, turkey meal, salmon meal, de-boned chicken, de-boned turkey, de-boned trout, potatoes, peas, tapioca, lentil beans, chickpeas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural chicken flavour, whole dried egg, apples, duck meal, herring meal, salmon oil, alfalfa, de-boned duck, de-boned salmon, sweet potatoes, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), coconut oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), flaxseed, potassium chloride, pumpkin, carrots, bananas, blueberries, cranberries, broccoli, spinach, alfalfa sprouts, blackberries, squash, papayas, pomegranate, dried chicory root, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Aspergillus niger fermentation product, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation product, vitamins (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta-carotene, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (zinc proteinate , iron proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc oxide, manganese proteinate, copper sulphate, ferrous sulphate, calcium iodate, manganous oxide, selenium yeast), sodium chloride, taurine, yucca schidigera extract, dried rosemary, green tea extract, peppermint, parsley, rosehips, zedoary, dandelion, chamomile, ginger, fennel, tumeric, juniper berries, licorice, marigold extract, cardamom, cloves.

I was pretty darn impressed with their customer service and the knowledge, but from what I've seen, Global Pet Foods is good with that kind of stuff. They just adored Cali and gave us a free sample of the Go! just in case she didn't like it so we could return the bigger bag.

And NinaB, I'd be so tempted to feed raw if my mom would allow it. That's where she'd put her foot down, I'd imagine. :p She already tolerates me buying bully sticks, etc and spending more money on Cali than anyone else.. she'd think I was crazy for suggesting raw. Although, I do want to feed my dogs raw once I'm out of university and have my own place.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Sweet! Go is a great food, it's one of the ones I was going to suggest. Yeah, most Globals educate their staff REALLY well. It's our Thing. :D

Members online

No members online now.