finally happened

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Onyx ran into the yard and fought with mary. I thought it ok for her to sit on her porch since it is the weekend and man of the house was home. His little boy was standing a yard away screaming im sorry im sorry i didn't mean to let her out..Logan was screaming and crying too and my heart ran straight to panic when i saw him make a reach for Onyx..i told him NONONO LOGAN let me take care of it..i called Mary off and she minded me..and onyx backs off.i got this stupid sound i make.. a loud short a that for some reason works very well with dogs..it startles them. I told Logan that i thought it wasn't a serious fight..more noise than anything, sent Mary inside..with Logan to give Aaron my paintbrush to rinse out. Then i took Onyx home. Victor in the meantime has been tied up on the porch..his ears hung down so low (his way of showing sadness) and he was frightened. Thank god it was Mary and not him. Mary is a big strong dog and could hold her own. I was relieved when i did a body swipe and found only spit. I had a long long talk with Logan about never reaching into a dog fight. I showed him where i had done just what he was about to do and my hand was nearly cleaved in half where the tooth went inbetween my second and third finger. He had tear tracks coated with dust on his face..i just wanted to hug him for it had frightened him and i absolutely understood. He had never seen a dog fight before. man of the house asked me if I knew why his dog does this..I am open for suggestions as to what to tell him. I noticed Victor washing Mary's ear and sure enough there are a couple punctures there, but nothing to deep and i will watch for signs of a hematoma. Logan came back and asked said that the man wanted to know if Mary was ok..that he offered to pay the vet bills if there were any and i told him to tell the man that Mary was ok..but he seriously needed to consider invisible fence..that if he wanted i would look up a few companies for him. So that is the story for today. I think Logan was the most hurt from the situation. I told him i had been thinking and later this month if he wanted to walk Victor for me a few times a week i would pay him..he said noooo i said yessss and if he wanted he could give the money to any dog charity he chooses. what a special young man. I wonder what he will be when he grows up..he said he wants to be a kennel man. I can't think of a better guy for the job. I know that he is Shaffer's hero and Onyx too..that Sharpeii he drug home and scratched himself up getting in the indifferent man's back yard don't know it yet..but he might have saved his life today as well.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Poor Marydog!! At least Onyx's family are learning, and asking for help! They definatley chose the best person to ask!! I hope Mary's ear is ok!!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
ok folks tell me what you think about this...a hlaf hour ago i took Onyx home AGAIN. I had the door shut and my dogs inside..and i see a black streak go past the window. She was out there..hackles up and racing around the house..I went out got in the car and started it so here she comes. I take her home. I had a talk with woman of the house and i will make a long story short..she didn't know of the fight..i explained about hematoma's and that so far i don't see a problem with Mary..but the problem is that i will not make a choice on this..and worse yet a child came very close to being bitten. I told her that buying and installing invisible fence would be way less expenisive that a law suit. The child's parents sueing would pretty much be a given. That Mary is an old dog..that as far as i could tell..the fight was a b**** slap fest not a murder. I feel that Mary is greatly responsible for that. When the dog hit my yard and attacked mary ...she didn't get any farther, fo Victor was three feet away..in fact Mary had about pushed her to the street. Mary is a strong dog that gets her fair share of exercise..if you look at her younger pics in my gallery you will not see a fat dog, but one that is well developed. If Mary had "lost" her temper and bit down harder, Onyx might have been pushed over the edge. The fact that neither dog has puncture wounds after fighting for about 7 minutes has to mean something. Woman of the house asked me how much they cost and i told her i would research a bit. and bring it down tomorrow. If they don't do this, or it doesn't work, Onyx will lose her life and probably hurt someone else in the process. It can't be Mary or Victor. If Mary was hurt..then i don't know what my reaction would be, but it wouldn't be a second chance situation. I pray they do something immediantly.
I just saw Logan walking someone's boxer down the street..that boy is something else. He is a treasure. So is Mary.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
it is not just my dogs she fights with..it is all of them Ct you got any advice for these people? He asked me why and what he should do..anybody got an invisible fence brand they think would be Onyx proof? I have given Logan the Chazhound site and told him if he wanted to show his parents Shaffer's pics they were in my gallery, plus he might enjoy reading the stories and info found in the forum. I think maybe he will be the next Creature Teacher...i sure hope so for all the future dogs' sake. Today he showed that he had more common sense, more heart, drive and desire than any person i have ever met in my life. i wouldn't trust just anyone to walk my Victor, but i think it would be an honor to see him and Vic going down the road. Thumbs up to you Logan if you are reading this, i am so proud of you. I hope you get a dog one day.. you so deserve a great one..and i hope you become the kennel master man and can train good dogs to do good works.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i printed them out the most pertinant info i could find on the web about invisible fence..pros as well as cons..and a copy of the dog paper i keep ranting about. I told them about Mary's ear and said it was a wait until tomorrow to see. i wanted the man to come out and see Mary's ear so he would know what i was talking about (they were in the car) onyx was chained (and barking) in the back yard..but the brother told me man of the house is busy. That is all i can think to do. If they do nothing then i will have no other option but to call the pound. At least when she is chained she barks continously..and that way i know it is safe to take my dogs outside.
Logan walked Victor for the first time today. SEemed very agreeable to Vic :D
i told him i would pay him at the end of the month. They looked quite nice going down the road together. I asked Logan if he enjoyed walking a dog that knew how to heel..and showed him if Victor did start to pull that i wanted him to turn him and go in a circle..that puts an end to his pulling immediantly. I always make Vic sit when a car comes, i showed Logan too that if he says sit and Vic doens't..to take a step backwards, and that works good too. I hope they develop a good relationship. I think Vic would be a good dog for Logan to work with. this kid walks so many neighborhood dogs and they all pull him down the road.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Smkie, I'm so sorry to hear what happened with Mary.

I also want to say waht a great boy Logan is.

Members online

No members online now.