Excessive panting?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Happy is always panting. Always always always. Except for when she's sleeping.

What's the deal? Is she hot, in pain, old dog thing...? Could it be because of the heartworms? My vet said her heart SOUNDS good but I'm sure there's damage somewhere. She still has wormies swimming around in there and who knows how long she was infected with them before beginning treatment.

It gets annoying having her always breathing her hot breath on me lol but I also don't want to be neglecting any issues that could be causing it.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Rosey pants, a lot. Hard. There's nothing wrong with her. I blame age.
This is the hard thing about adopting a senior... lol I have no idea what is normal vs. abnormal for her. If Juno started panting like this, I'd think she's dying. :p

Does she have a super dense undercoat?
I'd say so!

She pants when she's outside too though, which... regardless of how darn fluffy she is... I can't imagine this weather is keeping her too warm :p

Dr. Google says it can be a sign of heart problems so maybe it is just the heartworms? Not that that is a GOOD thing but it's better than her having other issues on top of that! I should have just pointed it out to the vet when I had her in, but why would I do something clever like that.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Cushings? Lots of fur? Heartworms?
I was going to suggest Cushings as well. One of my coworkers dogs started having urination accidents in the house and would not. stop. panting. Some tests and bloodwork later, she was diagnosed with Cushings.

Definitely could be heartworm related, too. So if she's still recovering from heartworms, that would be the simple solution. May not hurt to take a chest radiograph just to see, for peace of mind's sake.

Most of the time your dog is panting to cool itself, because dogs don't produce sweat like humans do.

However, panting can be associated with other health problems and heartworms could be one.

Once your dog would recover from his heartworm infection, the panting will surely subside.

Members online

No members online now.