When Female Dogs Fight . . . Sometimes

We visited some of Charley's friends over the 4th (there's a traditional 4th of July house party that's taken place for 26 years running now). Tom and Barb have three dogs, Abigail (a Pit/Redbone/?? mix); Sooner (a rescued English Fox Hound and a truly elegant looking fellow who spent 2 years locked in a rescue kennel) and Jack (a happy-go-lucky young Bluetick Hound they adopted). Abby has a "thing" about female dogs; she's killed one elderly female dog. Barb's sister and brother in law brought Muffin, their elderly Miniature Poodle/Terrier cross, and just before we got there, Abigail had mauled her rather severely, including a serious bite at the neck that just missed the jugular.

When we got there, all three dogs met us at the door barking and baying. Shiva was flustered and didn't want to come inside at first, which made Abigail think she might be vulnerable, so Abigail lunged at Shiva. Shiva just sidestepped out of the way, and Tom grabbed Abigail and dragged her out of the way and we brought Shiva inside. Not an auspicious beginning for Shiva and Abigail.

Miss Shiva has become quite savvy in the ways of pleasing people . . .

She was the epitome of the well mannered house guest. You couldn't have asked for a better mannered creature! Abigail continued to snarl at her, and Shiva continued to ignore her . . . as far as anyone knew. What I got to see was an entirely different story! I was the only one in the room with Shiva at the time (she stuck to me like glue - not going to allow me to be alone with people she didn't know - good grrrl) and Abigail, thinking this was her chance, came in hackles raised, snarling quietly and crouching. Shiva just looked at her and slowly walked toward her (everyone else was well within earshot as the living room/kitchen are open), wagging her tail slowly in the down position, no hackles showing, so any casual observer would think she was being totally friendly.

What only I got to see was Shiva walk right up to Abigail's face, look down into her eyes, and - utterly silently - pull her lips back and show Abigail ALL of her pretty white chompers . . . .

We didn't hear a peep out of Abigail for the rest of the weekend, lol!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
GO Shivaa..what a classy woman! She's got it down. I would have liked to see a pic of that..you need one of those picture phones renee!
ONce we had two females at the kennel..had been sharing the big run for over 7 years. One day i don't know what maggie said to Opie, but it made Opie mad enuff to rip Maggie a 12 inch wound right across her neck. If she hadn't been so fat i think it would have killed her. No wrath like a woman's?

She'd probably just play with Bluedawg, lol! She spent most of the weekend romping with Jack, which irritated Abigail even further . . . Shiva can be an evil, conniving wench when she's of a mind . . .

Sooner, the Foxhound, kept snapping at her, so she took every opportunity to stand in front of him and wag her tail, whacking him thoroughly with it, rhythmically and repeatedly. And I can tell you it HURTS!

Tom said poor Jack spent three days looking for her and crying and barking . . . that had to drive Abigail and Sooner nuts, lol!

Members online

No members online now.