My paranoia is costing my poor dog, what should i do??

vegas

Hi i have small Cavalier king charles, she is almost a year old and i think my paranoia is costing her her fun.

Every time i take her to the park i am looking left-right none stop for pitbulls and other dogs, any time i let her off the leash with in 2 minutes she is back on it because i have seen another dog and quickly pick her up.

Nothing has happened except a few months back when this huge dog chased her and she came to my feet and started crying and i picked her up.

Its just my friend dog a small yorkshire terrier was killed by a pitbull in the park when the pitbull attacked it for no reason.

I have also spect 2 weeks in hospital after a pitbull attack.

The thing is i love it when she is running around and she has no fear of other dogs at all and loves to play but i am always soooo scared they might fight.

Yesterday the second i took her off the leash these 2 dogs went crazy and started barking at each other for no reason and i was thinking thank god i was not walking past those dogs and she was right back on her leash.

Is it true femal dogs rarely get in fights???

I don't know its just i wouldnt want anything happining to her and a walk in the park for me is sooo tense and im always on edge its ruining it for us noth, what should i do????

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Is there anywhere other than that dog park you can excercise your dog?
I would say just stop going to the dog park and excercise your pup somewhere else.....It will cause you less stress.

Fran27

I'm not sure it is a dog park is it?

In any case, I wouldn't keep a dog off leash in another park. It's just way too dangerous, and not only because of other dogs.

And yes I think you're a bit paranoid but I think it's normal in your situation too... all I can say is don't go to the park where you were attacked anymore, and just keep your dog on leash.

You might be more comfortable if you could just arrange to meet with a friend who has a dog that yours likes to play with and let them play together. It would save you a lot of stress and her some frustration.

Doberluv

I agree with Baby blue. I'd be paranoid too. Your dog is at high risk for being attacked in a dog park where there are dogs you don't know. I don't think you're overly worried. Dogs don't like all dogs and what you experienced with seeing attacks and being attacked happens. I don't like dog parks and you'd be much better off finding a place where you can let your dog run without the worry of other dogs. And no, female dogs can get in fights and get attacked too.

vegas said:
Is it true femal dogs rarely get in fights???
No, this is NOT true. Female dogs (bitches) are just as likely as male dogs to get into fights.

Your fear seems sensible - you know firsthand how devastating a dog attack can be, and your dog is so small the odds are she would be dead before you could even react. I don't know why you're taking her off-leash in public, though, unless you're going to a dog park. It's usually illegal and, in my experience, foolish, to put a dog at liberty in a public space.

Saje

Island dweller
I agree with Renee. Find a compatible dog and set up play dates. And keep your pup on leash - it's the safest for everyone.

aurorab

If it is a dog park try to see if they can set up a small dog area. Some dog parks have it and it seems like a great idea. If you want to be in the main area you can or you can choose the smaller sectioned off small dogs only area. It can't hurt to ask. Plus ask others at the dog park. If more of you inquire then maybe they can accomadate you.
If it's just a park or a field then there isn't much that you can do.

RD

Are you dead yet?
You aren't being paranoid, you are being cautious and responsible. I cringe when I see people strolling around the dog park, with their little yorkie running amongst a bunch of Rottweilers. While I have taken my Border Collie to a dog park, (We go there to proof some of his commands, mainly.) I wouldn't be caught dead bringing my little Papillon there. Small dogs are at a huge risk because one pounce from a large dog, even if it's all in good fun, can really seriously injure (or kill) them.

I would find a suitable playmate for your dog, and arrange to meet somewhere, say, twice a week. There are also small-breed "playcenters" (At least, there are around here) that remind me a lot of doggy day care.. I would feel much more comfortable letting my dog go there, as well.

vegas

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH for your help i will NOT let my dog off the leash again, this may sound really stupid but i just love seeing her run free with her little ears bouncing up and down.

I will have to find a find a place where it is private so she can run there.

She has had huge dogs come upto her before but she is always happy to play with them.

I only ever let her off the leash if i can't see another dog in site and as soon as i see one i put her on the leash again.

THANK YOU ALL i feel more relaxed now.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Everyone has weighed in with pretty good advice. One other thing to think about it you want her start socializing with other socialized dogs: doggie daycare. Most places with segregate small and large breeds so the risk of serious injury is reduced and any good place will have a well trained supervisor. This is only if you feel comfortable leaving your dog out of your sight while with other dogs.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Doggy daycare is a very good idea IMO. Just make sure you find a reputable place. (I've heard of some terrible places.)

showpug

I NEVER take my dogs off leash in public. You are not paranoid, you are smart. If they are off leash, there is a chance a dog could attack, that is not paranoia....that's just reality. Smart mom, keep up the responsible dog ownership.

As far as an alternative goes, I would try a friends backyard, or joining an agility class or something like that. :)

Members online

No members online now.