I'm confused, HELP!

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
This is about crate training Belly. She sleeps a lot in her crate during the day. At night, she goes to sleep but wakes up an hour later. She starts crying until I let her out. What I was doing was waiting until she quieted down, then took her out. She'd want to sleep on my bed so I put her up there and once she fell asleep, I'd put her back in her crate. But I had to stop once I found a tick on my wrist yesterday morning.My dad tells me now that when she starts crying, to put her crate downstairs and ignore her. Have you ever heard a beagle howl?I hope not because you'd be near deafness. She howls all night long and I'm scared one of the neighbors are going to get really annoyed and poison her or something. And what if she's going to be scared of her crate and pee in it out of fear. This is my first time crate training a dog, what should I do :( ?

Fran27

Tips and Boris were the same way, I feel your pain. They both stopped after 5 days though, and now Tips only wakes us up at 7am (joy). In your case, I think that letting her sleep on the bed was a bad idea though. The best thing you can do is totally wear her out before bed, and hope she will be too tired to cry. But eventually, your dad is right, if you just ignore her, she should get used to it.

Don't worry about her getting scared of the crate, it's not going to happen, especially if she sleeps in it during the day without problem. She just doesn't want to be alone, but she has to get used to it one way or another.

Where is the crate?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i am no help, i have never used a crate, and Victor sleeps soundly in my arms where i want him to be..i bath him regularly Mary too, and do not have ticks or fleas on either them or me. i couldn't and wouldn't be able to do it..i like sleeping with them. i was thinking when we woke up this morning about all the dogs not allowed to share in this part of life..how different it would be..when we wake up, everyone is so lazy and happy to see each other..their tails thump a resounding good morning..i can't think of a better way to greet the day.

Fran27

It might be a problem, I don't know. Maybe she feels lost if the crate is in a different place all the time?

Is the crate in your room at night?

Saje

Island dweller
I don't crate train but I also think it should be in one place and that should be your room. Maybe to help her feel better you can give her a hot water bottle wrapped in one of your shirts at night.

Edit: Just had to say that the bottle shouldn't be TOO hot. :D

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
smkie said:
i am no help, i have never used a crate, and Victor sleeps soundly in my arms where i want him to be..i bath him regularly Mary too, and do not have ticks or fleas on either them or me. i couldn't and wouldn't be able to do it..i like sleeping with them. i was thinking when we woke up this morning about all the dogs not allowed to share in this part of life..how different it would be..when we wake up, everyone is so lazy and happy to see each other..their tails thump a resounding good morning..i can't think of a better way to greet the day.
I plan on doing that. Once shes housetrained. And the reason she had a tick is because we still didn't find a flea medication for puppies and I did give her a bath. The ticks just came back.

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
Fran27 said:
It might be a problem, I don't know. Maybe she feels lost if the crate is in a different place all the time?

Is the crate in your room at night?
The crate is in my room but if she's sleeping and I'm going to stay in a different room for a long time, I move her crate to where I am.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Teddy has his own room lol. There is just no room for him on the bed and I'm not losing sleep just so he can enjoy the bed lol. We started him in a crate and he did wonderful and then we just let him have the whole second bedroom lol so now he just has the whole room to himself and his own chair and all his toys and he has two crates in there incase he gets scared :D

However, My brother had a beagle and he was horrible to put in a crate. if he was in there for 4 h ours he would howl for 4 hours. Maybe its just beagles lol.

When we first got Teddy we used to give him a bunch of exercise and then we wouldn't let him fall asleep until it was time to go in his crate so when he got to his crate he was dead tired. It worked wonders.

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
+Dogs4[my]life+ said:
You shouldnt be moving your crate around.
Maybe your dog cant ajust to a neww place...?
:D
Could be but should I ignore her when she starts howling? And also when she does, everyone else gets annoyed becuase it is LOUD! :p

Saje

Island dweller
But that's just part of having a puppy. If you are going to crate train then you will have to deal with it until she adjusts.

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
Saje said:
But that's just part of having a puppy. If you are going to crate train then you will have to deal with it until she adjusts.
So I should ignore her? How can she adjust? She loves to sleep in her crate but when she's not going to sleep, she howls and howls.

Saje

Island dweller
I guess just make sure she's good and tired. Make sure she gets lots of exercise throughout the day and hopefully she'll sleep at bedtime. And yes, if she is crying in there you'll have to let her cry.

Doberluv

I love using a crate for potty training and for the dog to have it's own little place to chill out. Lyric got use to it in a few days or week. I kept it along side my bed at night and had one in the kitchen during the day where he could hear me rummaging around. I never used it as punishment, always gave a "go to bed" command and a treat each time he went in and some toys, water etc in there for him. When I needed a nap during the day and couldn't watch him, I'd time my nap with his. I'd get him tired out first with a good, rough and tumble playtime outside, some running etc. Also before bed time at night, not right before but maybe an hour or so before then we'd gradually settle down on the couch for a while, then bed. He came to like his crate and would go in on his own when he needed a little quiet time. All my dogs go in their crate voluntarily. Lyric no longer has a crate, but a dog bed or the couch. He is finally civilized and doesn't wreck stuff if I'm gone or get into anything that would hurt him. And his crate is huge, not enough room in my house, but the Chi's still have theirs.

Just hang in there and ignore his cries. Make it a pleasant place and he'll get use to it. Hand out ear plugs to the neighbors and let them know it won't be forever.

Members online

No members online now.