What are you sick of hearing in regards to your dogs?

Toller_08

I'm mostly tired of people pointing out the Dobermans' 'dandruff'. It's not like I don't know it's there, and it's not like we don't take care of them. They both have a skin condition that there is no cure for, and they're always going to look less than stellar in that regard, but certainly not for lack of trying to get them back to looking great on our part. People are so judgmental.

Also tired of hearing that Dance "needs more training" or "needs more socializing". No, how about you just not force yourself upon my dog who obviously shows signs of discomfort before she barks at you. Again, I've worked hard on trying to get her to not react/not be bothered by people, but she's never going to be the type of dog that anyone can stare at, pet or hug without feeling uncomfortable. And most of the time she's fine anyway. It's just clueless dog people or people who think they know everything about dogs but don't actually who tend to worry her the most, and she's good about trying to ignore them, but sometimes she does bark. It's not like she's a menace and it's not like I don't try to redirect her and relax her.

And I'm tired of a couple of guests going on and on about how my poor dogs don't get to do anything but lay in their beds all day. When you visit, I don't want them constantly bugging you, so yes, I tell them to go to their beds after a while. And often they even go by themselves. We certainly don't superglue them there and make them stay in their beds all day long and do nothing.

I'm tired of people asking Journey if they can pet her. You'd look less silly if you just asked me. And that's if they even ask at all. Most of the time people just reach out and grab.

Oh, and I can't believe the amount of people who comment on Journey's lack of a tail. Less people complained about the Dobermans' ears. I hear about Journey's dock and how cruel it is at least three times a day.

Those are my biggest ones. Other ones are:

People talking like they know all about the breeds I own, but they don't.

People who ask how much I paid for my dog (I get asked this one about Journey a lot). Why does it matter?

People who assume my Dobermans are mean and act like I'm walking the plague down the street and proceed to tell their friends/children/whathaveyou how awful and terrible Dobermans are.

I also get tired of people constantly asking if the Dobermans are european or when they look down upon them for coming from North American show lines.

And it's annoying to constantly be told how my Aussie is useless because she's not a working bred dog.

And it's annoying to be constantly told how everyone hates Tollers and how weird they are (dog people seem to have a strong dislike for the breed around here).

People think I'm cruel for crating my dogs as well. Especially the adult dogs.

I also get the "oh, those dogs need a lot of exercise and training" and they say it in such a condescending way like they're assuming I don't do anything with my dogs.

Hillside

Original Twin
People who assume my Dobermans are mean and act like I'm walking the plague down the street and proceed to tell their friends/children/whathaveyou how awful and terrible Dobermans are.
This. SO much this.

I had some woman berate me for having one of "THOSE" dogs out in public as I was leaving a Petco with Saga a while back. Meanwhile, Soggy is loose leash walking with me, not paying attention to anything else, while HER little toy poodle is at the end of its leash, reared up on its hind legs barking and growling at Saga. I said "what kind of dog? A well trained and well behaved one?" Then to Saga I said "Don't worry baby girl, I won't let that mean little horribly behaved dog eat you." I got the death glare from her and a couple people walking by literally laughed out loud.

noludoru

Bored Now.
NO. ROFL. I know what you're trying to do. Teh ridiculous Golden-ness shall stay, if not because I love him like a fat kid loves cake, then because he pisses people I don't like off. :D

Yes. We do need to hang out. WHEN?!
FINE. Middie would probably hate him anyway. :(

*sulks*

Any time this week or next.. we were going to try to have a girls night very soon. Zoom got all the Velotta stuff, so if you and Winnie are up for dipping things in belgian chocolate. . .

Grab

When people hear that I have Chows, I generally get "wow, Chows..those are pretty mean, right?" no....they're not...

And, of course, the neverending 'wow, 5 dogs...' We're fine with our number of dogs. mind your business:rolleyes:

mrose_s

BusterLove
So few people can pick Quinn's breed. "Border Collie and what else?" is the usual guess. (Insert Kelpie, Koolie, Husky, Sheltie, Basenji here)
My usual answer is "Nah, just a funny looking Border Collie"

Occasionally people will say she's too skinny. But mostly its compliments that she looks very fit.

I also get people ask if she's blind in her blue eye. I had one man I know argue with me that she will go blind as she ages, the sun will get in and cause her to go blind in the blue eye. yeah....

Her white face makes it harder to move sheep because they think she is a sheep. She seems to make them move just fine despite her white face.

I don't have much to complain about though, normally I'm just happy people noticed her. Or they comment that she's a cool looking dog, and I have to agree, she's a freakin cool looking dog. Nuckin futs yes, but cool looking :)

Assumptions about her breed:

"That's a nice mix"

"Ok, so poodle and...."

"There's retriever in there for sure right?"

"Aww a doodle!"

"Isn't that an Akita?"

And just being stopped by random folks wanting to gush over or play with her lol - quite annoying when I just wanted to have quiet walks or get "business" over with and go home.

Snark

Mutts to you
People looking at Riley's brindle coat and asking if he's a pit bull. Although, lately, I've had people asking if he's a Catahoula. :confused:

BostonBanker

People looking at Riley's brindle coat and asking if he's a pit bull. Although, lately, I've had people asking if he's a Catahoula.
Meg constantly gets "Is she a greyhound?". She's 18" tall and weighs 36 lbs. And has a docked tail and is build like the proverbial brick ****house. I actually think a lot of the time, they want to ask if she's a pitbull (probably the only two breeds they think come in brindle) but don't want to offend me.

I get breed guesses on my guys quite a bit, but they don't really bother me. I just have my pre-planned answer for both ("We know he's half border collie; our best guess is that his father was either a spider monkey or a space alien." "She actually a purebred Mountain Cur. They're a hunting breed.").

I've only ever once heard "Don't you ever feed him?!" about Gusto, but once is enough to make you sick of it.

Mostly I get tired of people asking to pet Gusto, and when I say "If he wants to let you, it's fine, but he usually isn't interested in people petting him." I get lots of "Oh, I had a dog who was scared of people/beaten/abused/aggressive once." No, he's not scared or mean or mistreated. He just thinks you are an idiot. One woman last weekend was crouched down trying to get him to come over for petting, and telling me that she knew just what to do, because she'd had a dog like this, and you have to wait for them to come to you. I said "Have fun, you'll be waiting a while with this one!"

They're so skinny!
This. From my MIL. Thank goodness I have a fuzzy dog. I can't imagine what she'd say if I had a short haired dog.

Is that a bow tie?! Oh poor dog! What a silly thing to make him wear

He's a dog.
He doesn't give a ****.
I assure you.

WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS TAIL?!

WHAT?! IT'S NOT THERE?!?!
OH GOD!!
WE SHOULD RETRACE OUR STEPS!!

The tail thing...Yeah.... Trying have a NBT with a kinky tail

The correct answer is actually "Bow ties are cool." ;)
FTW.

Also... Is he a Border Collie?

Which, yeah, being black & white I guess I can kind of see (Since only BCs come in that color, or something), but BOB-TAIL!! If nothing else should make you question what you are about to ask!!

Or my MIL....Bless her soul.... She knew I was getting an English Shepherd. I had the breeder lined up, the breeder had some puppies on the ground, I had been talking about english shepherd-y things and what does she say. "OH, I thought English Shepherd was just the fancy name for a Border Collie"

German Shepherd mix, right? They aren't "pure blooded" because they're not black/tan.
Nope, both are purebred GSD. You have 0 clue what you're talking about.

They're really small for German Shepherds! I had one who was 150lbs.
Oh yeah? Well there's this lovely little thing called a breed standard which both of my dogs fit right into. Unfortunately your 150lb dog does not. I'd probably be totally disgusted with how fat that dog actually was.

OMG her paws are huge! She will be over 100lbs easily.
Hmm..Mother was 55lbs and dad was 70lbs..Doubtful that she'll just sprout to 100.

Look at the police dogs!!!
Umm..Neither one is a police dog. They are German Shepherd Dogs..Do I look like a police officer to you?

Why are they so skinny?
....Usually I don't even answer that one.

Their ears healed well!
The ears stand up on their own. Nobody crops a GSD's ear to make them stand..

Too bad they'll probably catch hip dysplasia if they haven't already. All German Shepherds have it.
...Sure. Cuz it's some sort of virus or something.

A boy and a girl, huh? When can we call you for a puppy?
LOL.

And god forbid I mention Schuzthund/IPO in public. Trying to explain that one to any idiot on the street is close to impossible.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Reading these almost make me thankful that I usually only get a few annoying comments, most people just say how adorable she is and ask how old she is... since most people have no idea what a Papillon is and assume she must be a puppy. People used to mistake her for a Border Collie puppy when she was six months old, but even then, most eight week old puppies were bigger than she was.

"Your dog kind of looks like a rat..." (can't name how many guy friends have said this, although I know most of them say it in a joking way)

"Is she friendly?" (not a bad question, but seeing as how she's licking your fingers and wagging her tail... I think it might be a good assumption... plus what kind of owner would I be to be letting you pet my aggressive dog?"

I don't tend to get a lot of questions about her, but sometimes little comments from my friends set me off because there among the lines of "you don't set enough boundaries for Cali". It bugs me because Cali does have a lot of boundaries, and I'd consider myself one of the few above average dog owners around here... since I see maybe one dog on a walk every two weeks, maybe two. All the others are either stuck in the house or on a chain outside barking at passer-bys.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
For Harlow:
"Wow! She is so soft! You must spend a lot of time giving her a lot of baths."
Actually, I don't brush her... or give her baths more than once or twice a year.
"So, she must take vitamins or some sort of soft dog pills."
Nope... She just eats high quality food.

"I can see your dog's ribs."
Oh, really?! You know what, now that you mention it, I can too! Yes I fecking know that you can see my dogs ribs. She has a high metabolism, a fair amount of energy, and that amount of exercise to match. Plus, the fact that your dog has a fat roll bigger than my face tells me you don't really know much about body condition.

For Rider:
"I've seen those cattle dogs before. They eat couches and bite people." Or, this one came from a friend... "We rescued one of those cattle dogs before, and it ate our sprinklers and tore up our yard. I wouldn't get one if I were you."
Number one, they are a very intelligent and higher energy breed, so they WILL get bored if not given a job and proper exercise, which will then lead into destructive behavior.

In general:
"Why would you get another dog? What is a waiting list? Why are you going all the way to Wyoming? What is health and temperament testing? I saw there were puppies for sale in the newspaper, just get one of those."
Number one, I do not want children. My dogs are my children. Yes, it may seem like a lot to you, but it is a perfect number for us. Number two, because there is such a thing as reputable breeding, learn about it! Don't just roll your eyes at me and tell me I'm wasting my money on ANOTHER dog I don't even need. And the breed I'm getting bites people and will destroy my couches.

DJEtzel

"Did you just adopt him? He's SO skinny!"

Nope, he's a pit bull and he's a lean dog that gets exercise.

"Those dogs are smart. You need to train them and give them a job."

I had no idea! I made it almost 9 months and haven't killed either of us yet... AND he's well-behaved!

*STARES at Frag* "I grew up with German Shepherds and bred them, can I pet him? They all love me!"

You're staring down my already agitated dog, and you think he will be your friend? NO.

Barbara!

For when I had Chevelle:

What kind of pit is she?
She's not a pit at all, she's a dog, but more specifically, an American Pit Bull Terrier. There's no other kind.

Oh she's so sweet for a pit bull!
Most dogs her breed are sweet.

For Malyk:

He must be a Great Dane mix.
Nope, pure bred Rhodesian Ridgeback... And then sometimes they insist he has to be mixed to be so big.

Shouldn't a big dog like that be thicker? He seems thin.
That's because he's healthy. And he's a sight hound. He is exactly how he should be.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Mira is a Labrador or Golden mix. My insight into this is irrelevant, for they know it to be true. Or occasionally a Newfie, because Newfies top out around 50lbs and don't have an undercoat.

Webster is a Miniature German Shepherd because he looks exactly like one but tiny. And only German Shepherds come in that color! (Actually sir so do most terriers, most hounds, Corgis, Shelties, Beagles (these never count as hounds for some reason)...shall I go on?) Does he shed? Because I should really breed him because everyone would want a MGS. (Sorry, ma'am, I'd pimp him out but alas I had his testicles chopped off and the vet won't give them back).

And the usual, "You have SO MANY DOGS." Yep. And you have so many cars. And kids. And...yeah nevermind I'm outta here :p

Also everyone who meets or even just sees Webster screams "THOSE EARS!!!???" but I can't really blame them for that one. I've lived with the guy for nearly five years and I still have that reaction sometimes ;)

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
The gasp when I say I have two pit bulls. A respectable young girl like you can't possibly have such evil demons and call them pets!

The question if I have a big yard followed by my explanation that I never leave dogs outside alone and seeing people confused or write me off as dangerously paranoid.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
The "jokes" about how she must have run into a parked car or a patio door or this or that.

The constant "she has breathing problems right?" Uhh no she doesn't, she's breathing right now.

Or the ever surprise people going "oh my god she's so skinny! Aren't pugs supposed to be fat? Poor dog!"

BostonBanker

Or the ever surprise people going "oh my god she's so skinny! Aren't pugs supposed to be fat? Poor dog!"
We have the coolest little pug that is in our agility practice group now, and I'm probably the annoying one who constantly exclaims "Oh my god it is so nice to see a fit pug!". Hopefully that's less annoying than complaining that she's too skinny!

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
We have the coolest little pug that is in our agility practice group now, and I'm probably the annoying one who constantly exclaims "Oh my god it is so nice to see a fit pug!". Hopefully that's less annoying than complaining that she's too skinny!
Oh if people say that it doesn't bother me. She IS fit and it's not implying she's something she's not supposed to be.

"Is she friendly?" (not a bad question, but seeing as how she's licking your fingers and wagging her tail... I think it might be a good assumption... plus what kind of owner would I be to be letting you pet my aggressive dog?"
I get this all the time with Bristol, who is my attention ***** (as long as you don't pick her up). I bring her to the hotel I work at and anyone new inevitably asks "will she bit me" now what kind of owner would I be if I brought my dog that bites to my very public job? And furthermore let her sit in the chairs in the customer part of the lobby? Meanwhile Bristol is turning herself I die freaking out trying to get this person to shake a paw and love on her lol.

Members online